Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Mar 23, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #3,931 of 4,469
It runs fine off the iPhone and MBP. When I had the DBA's they were already awesome with these, so its a little hard to imagine how good it can still become being amped.

Regarding the bass presence, it'd say that DBA's have a higher quality bass. At first it took some time to get used to, but as other headfi-ers have said, armature sounds are really clean and crispy. After having the DBA's for a couple of hours, I was already not used to the more rumbly sound dynamic drivers produce. That rumble gives you a warmer, loose low end that we think its bass. If you listen carefully, the DBA's do extend quite low, and pack quite a punch. What they produce is real, satisfying, heart pounding bass. 

They were sibilant to me with stock tips though. Mid treble is sharp.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #3,932 of 4,469
If you've got an iphone, try using it with EqU (equalizer software you can download via AppStore) and pump up the sub-bass frequency and you'll be impressed with the sub-bass presence with the DBA's

Quote:
So I've had the DBA-02s for a little over a week, and yes, they're amazing! I don't really need to rehash the merits of these IEMs as that would be preaching to the choir, but I am definitely very satisfied with them. If I could say, the one thing I believe they lack is ultra low sub-bass presence (from the low-end roll-off, I presume), but I understand the trade-offs and so I'm being nitpicky here; the bass really is plenty strong and suitable for most purposes when properly outputted.

There's something strange though; has anyone had issues with isolation? It's not a fitment issue, as they fit great and I hear all frequencies equally, but they also seem to let in all frequencies equally, instead of attenuating low or high frequencies more, like what I hear with most IEMs. It could be that I elect not to use amplification when on the go, and the 43 ohm impedance is far greater than the miniscule 12 ohm of my old portable IEM the Philips SHE9850, but I've been comparing isolation without any music on, and I definitely hear a larger range of ambient frequencies through the DBA-02, even with the same eartips as the SHE9850. I've cycled through all the included tips, as well as the Comply T-100 and Klipsch large gels, and they seem to all have the same 'issue'.

I guess it's not that big a deal, but I just wanted to raise it up.

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #3,933 of 4,469
I just got a pair in the mail and I have a couple of gripes, some of which have been mentioned recently. 

The stock tips don't work for me at all.  I get no seal with the single flange tips and the triflange tips have stayed in my ear every time.  I just spent 5 minutes getting a triflange out of my ear.  I also get no seal with the large Shure black olive tips I have with me right now. 

The R and L are next to impossible to see, even after reading where it is.  I used balance control to figure out left from right.  It doesn't really matter because the way they are bent, they only go into my ear canal if I have them in the right ear.

The edges of indentations on the sides are very sharp.  It feels like it's cutting my ear lobe while I'm inserting them.  It's fine once they're in and adjusted so the edges don't touch anything.  Having the sharp edges that require it to be adjusted perfectly is a very stupid design.

I bought the ear guides, but I don't see ever getting the wires in them.  The slot is just too small.  I'd have to use some sharp instrument to push the wires in and I'd be afraid I'd damage them in the process.

Mar 23, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #3,934 of 4,469
I didn't have problems w/ the indentations being sharp on the DBA.  The edges on the SM3 on the other hand.....

What earguides?  I've been able to put cables into both the included ones and the Phonak guides w/o tools.  Pretty straight forward.  Just push the cable in once you figure out where you want it.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #3,935 of 4,469
Quote:
I just got a pair in the mail and I have a couple of gripes, some of which have been mentioned recently. 

The stock tips don't work for me at all.  I get no seal with the single flange tips and the triflange tips have stayed in my ear every time.  I just spent 5 minutes getting a triflange out of my ear.  I also get no seal with the large Shure black olive tips I have with me right now. 

The R and L are next to impossible to see, even after reading where it is.  I used balance control to figure out left from right.  It doesn't really matter because the way they are bent, they only go into my ear canal if I have them in the right ear.

The edges of indentations on the sides are very sharp.  It feels like it's cutting my ear lobe while I'm inserting them.  It's fine once they're in and adjusted so the edges don't touch anything.  Having the sharp edges that require it to be adjusted perfectly is a very stupid design.

I bought the ear guides, but I don't see ever getting the wires in them.  The slot is just too small.  I'd have to use some sharp instrument to push the wires in and I'd be afraid I'd damage them in the process.

Regarding the loose fit of the OEM triflanges - Try Etymotic or Shure triflanges instead. They're the same external shape, but the nozzle fit is much more secure. Single flanges work well for me, but I had the same problem with the OEM version, so I switched to Shure grey soft flex - same fit, totally secure on the nozzles, same (or slightly better) SQ.

If the edges are too sharp, why not file down the offending edges of the housings? I don't have that problem, but I could imagine that somebody might.  If you don't have one, buy a small fine tooth file at your local Home Depot, etc.

I have the ear guides, but don't need them. The wires are soft and flexible enough to bend over your ears pretty easily. Eventually (after several hundred hours) they'll stiffen up there to the shape of your ears.

I put a small wrap of black electrical tape on the right-hand wire. Easy to locate, even by feel.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #3,936 of 4,469
I'm not sure if I have Shure triflange tips, but I might have some from an old E3c.  I'll give them a try, but I'll probably try a bunch of different foam tips since I find foam much more comfortable and better at isolating than single flange tips.  I'm old enough that the sibilance that some report with foam tips won't be much of a problem.

I might try filing them.  My wife has small jeweler's files that would work. 

I managed to get the wires in the ear guides but they popped right back out as soon as I tried to use them.  I'm just going to stick to putting the wires over my ears which I do with every other IEM I've owned.  The tape for marking the right is a good idea, although once you know which is which it's easy to tell because of the off axis nozzle.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #3,937 of 4,469
I didn't have much trouble with the ear-glides. Once you get the wire started right it seemed to go in and stay put. I prefer without the ear glides though, they're more noticeable than just the wires. With the triple flanges, I found cutting off the "stalk" part of it, so the last flange over-laps onto the body, worked surprisingly well. Though I managed to figure out how to get a much better seal with the single flanges so not sure if its really that relevant :p 

I also put put a piece of tape around the right wire, just near the y-split. Squinting with a cellphone as a light trying to figure out which went where was frustrating at night. 

I still haven't gotten my pair back, or had any replies to e-mail from Bugden 
confused.gif
 Been 3 weeks now since they were apparently delivered (only took two days to ship). I don't mind waiting really, but not having any response from e-mail is kind of off-putting.  

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #3,938 of 4,469
I went back to my iphone 3gs setup for my dba-02s and found out that the sound is clearer and more detailed in this setup than the J3 Eqd. Maybe I messed up my equ on them. All I want is to boost the sub-bass a little bit.

Any advise on eq settings for dba-02?

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #3,939 of 4,469
Synergy is probably just better on the 3GS. 

I'm liking the sound of these quite a bit, they sure "forward" and yet refined without harshness. They do sound thin on some recordings nevertheless and the tonality is just average imo. I'll also note that the dynamic range also seems to be just average (about in level with the SM3s) but BAs don't do that well in this aspect imo though the Q-Jays actually pull it off very well.  Klipsch ovals are great, but even more comfortable and yet provide a similar quality seal are shortened Sensorcom tips. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #3,940 of 4,469
I find it very sufficient to use the bass boost on the fiio E5, i.e. if you have one.

Quote:
I went back to my iphone 3gs setup for my dba-02s and found out that the sound is clearer and more detailed in this setup than the J3 Eqd. Maybe I messed up my equ on them. All I want is to boost the sub-bass a little bit.

Any advise on eq settings for dba-02?

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #3,941 of 4,469
thanks dogears but I don't have a fiio amp.

After alot of modifying the eq settings in my j3 still I cannot the best sound from them...so I went to my iphone setup with my govibe amp and it's better. although I want to boost the sub-bass with the Equ app.

Quote:
I find it very sufficient to use the bass boost on the fiio E5, i.e. if you have one.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #3,942 of 4,469

Quote:
Synergy is probably just better on the 3GS. 

I'm liking the sound of these quite a bit, they sure "forward" and yet refined without harshness. They do sound thin on some recordings nevertheless and the tonality is just average imo. I'll also note that the dynamic range also seems to be just average (about in level with the SM3s) but BAs don't do that well in this aspect imo though the Q-Jays actually pull it off very well.  Klipsch ovals are great, but even more comfortable and yet provide a similar quality seal are shortened Sensorcom tips. 

Were you able to try deep insertion w/ the gels?  I couldn't get the deep fit w/ my Sensorcoms to bring out the bass and body.  Too big for my ears to reach that deep in the canal.

For me, the DBAs do a great job of getting the important things right in an overall balanced way that is unheard of in a $150 or so phone.  Other priceier phones might have a certain technical refinement in specific areas but there are certain things that are just wrong.  Usually big things that throw the overall balance out of whack.  The way I use mine, I think it's just an unparalleled combination of sound, fit, isolation and price with.  I know a few around here that like them more than some of their customs.  

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #3,943 of 4,469
Mar 25, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #3,944 of 4,469
Yes I'm able to do a deep insertion with the Sensorcoms like I do with the KIipsch ovals. I'm not missing bass/body just extension as it's known to lack

It sure is proficient but still flawed in certain aspects that may make them not suitable for some. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #3,945 of 4,469

Quote:

It sure is proficient but still flawed in certain aspects that may make them not suitable for some. 

Yeah, the low end extension, timbre, texture, reverb and decay characteristics.  I've certainly got other phones for that.  It is more of my rock, metal, speed phone but far more euphonic with good genre bandwidth than other analytical phones.  How long do you have the DBAs for?  You should try it w/ my Arrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back