Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jan 5, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #3,616 of 4,469
Trip flanges cut down to doubles preserve the soundsig while significantly reducing the brain-probing effect which they often have, just FYI. :)

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #3,618 of 4,469

Quote:
What iem to complement the sound of the DBA(more fun)?

Triple Fi10, RE262, UM3, SM3, EQ5???

I don't think EQ5 would be complementary.  The others would be.  Not sure if the 262 would be considered 'fun' either.  FA SBs, HJE900, TS02, FX700, Monsters Pros are also alternatives.

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #3,619 of 4,469
X2, EQ5s aren't complementary to DBA02s. While RE262s are more analytical than fun imo, they do contrast it a bit but I think UM3X/SM3 may be the better choice in terms of complementary signatures.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #3,620 of 4,469
I did a little browsing here (theres a lot of pages!!) and was unable to find recommended alternative tips for the DBA-02s. My buds are currently en route and I'd like to have some tips lined up by the time they get here. Thanks!

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #3,621 of 4,469
If you want fun, Triple fi 10 can give you that. I am also really enjoying monster turbines. Mine is not the pro version and I am loving it, I can only wonder how good the PROs must be

Quote:
What iem to complement the sound of the DBA(more fun)?

Triple Fi10, RE262, UM3, SM3, EQ5???

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #3,622 of 4,469
quick update on my tips situation - I fiddled with different insertion angles and now I'm getting what I think must be the sound everyone's raving about with the smallest stock silicone tips. Also bought Shure grey soft flex tips, which work as well (as mentioned elsewhere on the forum / this thread). Interestingly, the medium-sized tips seal better, but don't sound as good (less clarity, less bass). The DBA-02s seem unique in that depth of insertion is more important than a 'perfect' noise-isolating seal when it comes to getting the best sound.

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #3,624 of 4,469
Quote:
I did a little browsing here (there's a lot of pages!!) and was unable to find recommended alternative tips for the DBA-02s. My buds are currently en route and I'd like to have some tips lined up by the time they get here. Thanks!

Shure grey "soft flex" single flange are my favorites. Others like Etymotic triflange or tri's cut down to biflange. A few prefer Comply foam (T100 is the correct size, I believe). Shane says those are better when trimmed down to the end of the core tube. And there are some who have found fit/seal nirvana with Klipsch ovals or Monster gel tips.

I have unused Shure biflange (like modded Ety triflange, but with a longer nozzle tube) available FS. PM me if interested.

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #3,625 of 4,469

Quote:
quick update on my tips situation - I fiddled with different insertion angles and now I'm getting what I think must be the sound everyone's raving about with the smallest stock silicone tips. Also bought Shure grey soft flex tips, which work as well (as mentioned elsewhere on the forum / this thread). Interestingly, the medium-sized tips seal better, but don't sound as good (less clarity, less bass). The DBA-02s seem unique in that depth of insertion is more important than a 'perfect' noise-isolating seal when it comes to getting the best sound.

By God you're right! I tried took my Comply TX-100s out and fitted the smallest silicon tips, and they do sound nice! Weird thing is that, when I first auditioned the DBA-02, the seller only had the smallest tips for trial and I found it to be lacking clarity and bass. I ended up buying the DBA-02 anyway because I figured it had to be the tips, and I bought a pair of large Comply TX-100s. Sounded great, although the insertion isn't as deep. I went through all the other stock tips, the medium and large and the "Hybrids", and the triflanges, all were crap to me. The medium single flange also offered me the best seal, but as you said the clarity and bass were missing. I didn't try the smallest tips again because I had already scratched it off my list. I just tried it again and it was much better than I first tried it during the audition (perhaps the audition pair were medium and not small.. I cant really remember). I think it has SLIGHTLY more bass and treble sparkle than with the Complys, but the Complys have better midrange and sounds a bit more textured and fuller. Need to try them both again to see which I prefer, but both sound really good.

Anyway, how much better is the Shure grey soft flex compared to the smallest stock tips?

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #3,626 of 4,469

Quote:
Anyway, how much better is the Shure grey soft flex compared to the smallest stock tips?

SQ-wise, I'd say they're quite similar (maybe a tiny bit better with Shure, but very small difference if any). I prefer the Shure tips because they're much more secure on the nozzle. It gets old fast having to pluck tips out of my ears with tweezers.

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #3,627 of 4,469
Thanks, nice impressions. I will definitely check this as another purchase after my se425. Hopefully, I will like its sound signature. People here at headfi has so many contradicting opinions on sound signature.

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #3,628 of 4,469

has anyone ordered these from GD Audiobase? i want to order a pair but they dont seem to be available anywhere. that site says that theyre expecting some soon but id like to know other peoples experience with them first before ordering.

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #3,629 of 4,469
I have ordered from gd-audiobase. everything went smoothly, But it took 15 days to arrive from RUssia to portugal.

Quote:

has anyone ordered these from GD Audiobase? i want to order a pair but they dont seem to be available anywhere. that site says that theyre expecting some soon but id like to know other peoples experience with them first before ordering.

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #3,630 of 4,469

Quote:

This is my finding as well. After trying quite a bit of tips including the suggested  Klipsch Ovals, I find the small stock tips gives the best sound as I can insert them deep enough and yet they remain very comfortable unlike triple flanges I have tired. The DBa-02/S:flo2 combo got me where I wanted to be in terms of SQ. I prefer the SQ of the S:flo2 over my rockboxed Cowon X5 and Sanza clip and iPod Touch. It would be just awesome if the S:flo2 could be rockboxed as well.  I will soon start selling all my other IEMs, including IE8, UE TF10 (one custom and one stock)  RE-262 and RE0. I have reached the end of my IEM and DAP search for the foreseeable future, hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back