Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jan 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #3,646 of 4,469
anyone here waiting for their DBA-02 from GD Audiobase like myself?

it looks like their last preorder batch will finally be shipping this week and early next week so im happy to see that update.

i also have a Sflo2 coming in any day and I cant wait to compare that setup with my Rockboxed Fuze/RE0 setup.

btw, anyone use these with an E5 amp?

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #3,647 of 4,469

Quote:
Quote:
Have to agree with the above post, the angle that you insert and the angle at which you eventually wear them make a massive difference. I was surprised at the bass impact as well the first time I got the right insertion.

Yes, yes, yes.... indeed. Very much earlier in this thread, when the second wave (IIRC) of recipients began to experiment with tips and fit, there was a fair amount mentioned with regard to angle.
I certainly notice a difference in sound with various angles. The best for me is about 5 to 10 degrees up from horizontal, so that the cable points just slightly forward as opposed to straight up.
That, trimmed Comply's and a deep insertion... and it's audio bliss. 
wink_face.gif

I agree. I find I get the best sound with them pushed in as deep as I can get them, angled kinda up and to the back of my head.

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #3,648 of 4,469
Quote:
Quote:
i luv my dba-02, sometimes i prefer it over sm3 and se535. depends on my mood i guess. im wondering if anybody here had tried recabling it with copper cable. maybe, these can help the bass? i would love to try that but i have no idea who to approach. oh and slightly OT wat awg is considered the max for iems without being too heavy or big.

The DBA wiring is already copper - not very thick copper, but that's what it's made from. What led you to believe that thicker copper would improve the bass?

DBA's can be disassembled for recabling. I haven't done it, but it was done for me. Elsewhere in this huge thread there's a photo showing the clear shells removed from the blue portion.

I also got the DBAs recabled for me with Meelec cable. Compared with stock unit, the recabled set has an ever so slightly less sparkle at the top end, which for me, is perfect! YMMV
very very smooth sound all around. Using Ety 3-to-2 modded tip, I get perfect fit every time.
Now, if my forthcoming UM The Miracle are a significant upgrade over my DBAs I'd be done with IEM purchase!
cheers, Jose 

Jan 22, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #3,649 of 4,469
Been running the DBAs through my Headstage Arrow HE 3G amp which arrived last night.. and I'm completely enamored with the pair!  There isn't an earthshakingly dramatic improvement w/ the amp vs coming straight out of the iPhone 3GS.  This isn't a knock on the Arrow at all (read on).. more a compliment to how it's possble to get the best out of the DBA with low-power portable devices & how great the 3GS amp is.  But what the Arrow does to the DBAs is so impressive that there's not a chance I'll be able to go back to listening to them unamped if the Arrow is within arms reach!  Read on..

The Arrow still improves the sound NOTICEABLY.  Immediately, the tightened presentation became very apparent.. every part of the frequency spectrum gains impact, definition, and becomes so so SOOOOO refreshingly crisp.  The soundstage deepens more than it widens.  Now, onto the aspect of the Arrow that really blew me away: the added clarity, definition, depth & instrument separation.  More impressive than how much authority crashing cymbals, bellowing bass drums, twinkling pianos, the edges of delicate turntable scratches, and sweet flutes provided.. it was the quieter parts of music that became so mesmerizing.  Breathing, fingers sliding across fretboards, feet tapping, faint hand claps.. all these elements came through with mind-boggling clarity and depth.  In much of the music I listen to, the ambient sounds and noises are as much a part of shaping the songs as the actual vocals, melodies, and rhythm are.  The HS Arrow really impressed me with the detail & fidelity they pump out.  The improvement in this region was so significant I felt it paid for the amp alone.  It surprised the hell out of me cause the DBAs really excels at these two areas unamped.  That should give you an idea of of awesome this amp is.  

The DBAs are famed for their easy-to-listen, yet highly detailed sound.. they give the feeling of listening to a set of full sized phones more than a cramped IEM.. and the Arrow takes that very characteristic and runs with it.  I think they pair VERY well together.  Despite how good the DBAs sound out of my 3GS, it's going to be downright impossible going back to listening to them with out the Arrow.. one audible taste and I'm hooked.

I haven't got to playing with all the great tweaks (impedance, gain, crossfeed, etc.), I did all my listening before writing this review with the settings on zero.  I did use the bass boost on a few albums to see how well it was implemented and came away VERY impressed.  I've actually never heard a bass boost implementation done as well as it was done on the Arrow.  The DBA with the Bass Boost set to 1 is something to truly behold.  Listening to Eightball & MJG's classic album "Lost".. the DBAs produced fully defined, skull shaking bass when paired with the Arrow on BB 1.. that is not a misprint!  You gain a real appreciation for how well done the bass boost was done by Rob @ Headphonia & how articulate the DBA's bass can be if properly tuned and amped.  Id venture to say the boost is applied to the bass/sub-bass region (<50 hz) w/ no bleed into the upper bass/lower midrange.  I grow more and more impressed with how versatile the DBAs are and the Arrow is the perfect amp to show off that versatility.

From a visual standpoint, it's a beautiful amp.  So sleek, professional, and clean in appearance and design.  And it's so FREAKING THIN!!!   Nothing feels flimsy on it and the auto-off/on feature is really handy.  It blends perfectly into minimalist workspaces.  It's understated & sharp appearance modestly hides the tremendous craftsmanship that went into what lies beneath.

I consider the Arrow a fantastic value at $260 (I got it bundled with the DAC cable for $300, but I think it's getting shipped separately).  The amp alone is now $300 .. and I would buy it at that price in a heartbeat too cause I'm sure it could compete and beat amps costing $500.  I love that Rob used a robust iPod battery (that easy to replace, if ever needed) too.

So, I would highly recommend the Arrow as a portable amp.. in fact, I think it could work really well even as a desktop amp (which is how it probably will in my house).  I think it's a great value and maintains a very transparent signature.

Jan 22, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #3,650 of 4,469
Comply P tips seem to be the most recommended for the DBA-02 but is this referring to the regular, slim or short version?  

Jan 22, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #3,651 of 4,469

Quote:
Comply P tips seem to be the most recommended for the DBA-02 but is this referring to the regular, slim or short version?  

it looks like everyone is talking about the standard tips.

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #3,652 of 4,469

Quote:
it looks like everyone is talking about the standard tips.

Yep. Standard. Slim does not provide a good seal for me... especially since I also trim the tips. This may not apply to those who have very narrow ear canals. My wife can not wear the standard as they are too fat for her. So it really depends on the size of your canals. That said... I'd err on the side of "larger is better".

http://www.complyfoam.com/products/index.php?strProductName=P%7b48%7dSeries&strModelName=UM%7b48%7d2

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #3,653 of 4,469

at Shane...

how often do you replace the Comply's for the DBA-02?

i just ordered some for the first time and ive heard that they need to be replaced alot.

Jan 22, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #3,654 of 4,469

Quote:
Been running the DBAs through my Headstage Arrow HE 3G amp which arrived last night.. and I'm completely enamored with the pair!  There isn't an earthshakingly dramatic improvement w/ the amp vs coming straight out of the iPhone 3GS.  This isn't a knock on the Arrow at all (read on).. more a compliment to how it's possble to get the best out of the DBA with low-power portable devices & how great the 3GS amp is.  But what the Arrow does to the DBAs is so impressive that there's not a chance I'll be able to go back to listening to them unamped if the Arrow is within arms reach!  Read on..

The Arrow still improves the sound NOTICEABLY.  Immediately, the tightened presentation became very apparent.. every part of the frequency spectrum gains impact, definition, and becomes so so SOOOOO refreshingly crisp.  The soundstage deepens more than it widens.  Now, onto the aspect of the Arrow that really blew me away: the added clarity, definition, depth & instrument separation.  More impressive than how much authority crashing cymbals, bellowing bass drums, twinkling pianos, the edges of delicate turntable scratches, and sweet flutes provided.. it was the quieter parts of music that became so mesmerizing.  Breathing, fingers sliding across fretboards, feet tapping, faint hand claps.. all these elements came through with mind-boggling clarity and depth.  In much of the music I listen to, the ambient sounds and noises are as much a part of shaping the songs as the actual vocals, melodies, and rhythm are.  The HS Arrow really impressed me with the detail & fidelity they pump out.  The improvement in this region was so significant I felt it paid for the amp alone.  It surprised the hell out of me cause the DBAs really excels at these two areas unamped.  That should give you an idea of of awesome this amp is.  

The DBAs are famed for their easy-to-listen, yet highly detailed sound.. they give the feeling of listening to a set of full sized phones more than a cramped IEM.. and the Arrow takes that very characteristic and runs with it.  I think they pair VERY well together.  Despite how good the DBAs sound out of my 3GS, it's going to be downright impossible going back to listening to them with out the Arrow.. one audible taste and I'm hooked.

I haven't got to playing with all the great tweaks (impedance, gain, crossfeed, etc.), I did all my listening before writing this review with the settings on zero.  I did use the bass boost on a few albums to see how well it was implemented and came away VERY impressed.  I've actually never heard a bass boost implementation done as well as it was done on the Arrow.  The DBA with the Bass Boost set to 1 is something to truly behold.  Listening to Eightball & MJG's classic album "Lost".. the DBAs produced fully defined, skull shaking bass when paired with the Arrow on BB 1.. that is not a misprint!  You gain a real appreciation for how well done the bass boost was done by Rob @ Headphonia & how articulate the DBA's bass can be if properly tuned and amped.  Id venture to say the boost is applied to the bass/sub-bass region (<50 hz) w/ no bleed into the upper bass/lower midrange.  I grow more and more impressed with how versatile the DBAs are and the Arrow is the perfect amp to show off that versatility.

From a visual standpoint, it's a beautiful amp.  So sleek, professional, and clean in appearance and design.  And it's so FREAKING THIN!!!   Nothing feels flimsy on it and the auto-off/on feature is really handy.  It blends perfectly into minimalist workspaces.  It's understated & sharp appearance modestly hides the tremendous craftsmanship that went into what lies beneath.

I consider the Arrow a fantastic value at $260 (I got it bundled with the DAC cable for $300, but I think it's getting shipped separately).  The amp alone is now $300 .. and I would buy it at that price in a heartbeat too cause I'm sure it could compete and beat amps costing $500.  I love that Rob used a robust iPod battery (that easy to replace, if ever needed) too.

So, I would highly recommend the Arrow as a portable amp.. in fact, I think it could work really well even as a desktop amp (which is how it probably will in my house).  I think it's a great value and maintains a very transparent signature.

Nice write up FS , sounds like l'll have to save for awhile and get one of these............ l too reckon the DBA's are great IEM's , and l'll be keeping them for a long time ( unless FA bring out somthing even better :) )

Cheers Ken

Jan 22, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #3,655 of 4,469

Quote:

at Shane...

how often do you replace the Comply's for the DBA-02?

i just ordered some for the first time and ive heard that they need to be replaced alot.

I wear them almost daily. I work out with them... and I work out hard. A lot depends on the type of wax in your ears and how well you keep them clean. Dirty, waxy ears... say good by to them often. Clean ears... they'll last a while. I can use mine for about 2-3 months. I keep my ears neurotically clean.
That all probably tells you more about me than about the Comply's.
rolleyes.gif

wink_face.gif

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #3,659 of 4,469

Quote:
Looks like I have to swallow my pride and get this for the second time. My Ortofon eQ7 broke down (damn cable) and will order the DBA soon.

How the cable got ripped off or what happened? do you have a picture?

P.S. By any chance did you order your e-Q7 from Dimitri  from Musica Acoustics.com?
According to Dimitri, I got full warranty service support in case of failure of my e-q5 for period of one year since date of purchase, free of charge..
Even if you did not, advice you to contact and inquiry...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back