Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Oct 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #2,686 of 4,469

Quote:
I wanted the recable to add a mic/remote function to DBA's.

I had a pair of MEElec M9P's with the nice new MEElec cable that were going unused after getting my first pair of DBA's last June. So Ethan did the recable using the MEElec cable+mic/remote. (I wouldn't have said it was his work if he hadn't already admitted it.) He did a fantastic job - they look like they came that way from the factory. There is absolutely zero evidence that they have been dismantled, reworked and re-assembled.

PICS!!!!

Oct 5, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #2,690 of 4,469
well i have to admit that i got the quote from iDew, the seller didnt put that on his website but he got a few left, the seller didnt want me to tell the exact quantities but less than 10pcs left. 131 shipped UK within 10 working days or 144 upgraded to Fedex 3days! anyone wants one we can call for a bulk orders hopefully we would share the shipping! ANYONE!!??? uk only please.....Nottingham:)

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #2,692 of 4,469
Did anyone compared these with audeo? Are they much better, considering the price? I'm in need for buying something new- and DBAs seem to be my cup of tea, but would that be an upgrade?

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #2,693 of 4,469

Quote:
Did anyone compared these with audeo? Are they much better, considering the price? I'm in need for buying something new- and DBAs seem to be my cup of tea, but would that be an upgrade?

I have the Phonak Perfect Bass, not the PFE 112.  I like the fit of the Phonak better, but the cables of the DBA.  The PB is very dark comparatively.  I think the Phonak black and grey filters could compete with the DBA, but I have not found anyone willing to sell me a pair to compare.  Willing to sell me a pair of filters and the changing tool?  I'll do a direct comparison.  Who knows, it might save you moeny!

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #2,694 of 4,469
If you already have the PFE, I don't think you will find DBA to be a major upgrade. What you will find, is that DBA is more v shaped sounding, more dynamic and has a better soundstage, but not quite good on the vocal. They are both exceptional good for their price of course.

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #2,695 of 4,469

Quote:
well i have to admit that i got the quote from iDew, the seller didnt put that on his website but he got a few left, the seller didnt want me to tell the exact quantities but less than 10pcs left. 131 shipped UK within 10 working days or 144 upgraded to Fedex 3days! anyone wants one we can call for a bulk orders hopefully we would share the shipping! ANYONE!!??? uk only please.....Nottingham:)

Actually thinking about it, isn't £131.00 rather expensive for the DBA-02's? Bugden sell them at $159.99 delivered.

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #2,696 of 4,469

Quote:

I recently acquired both IEMs (the DBAs used), and I love them both. The DBAs are, as noted, a little fuller sounding, more dynamic or robust (not sure how to say it), but the PFE Perfect Bass are very very good, once you try the right tip. I found the Perfect Bass a little weak at first, but then I tried the largest silicone tips, and I guess the improved seal did the trick. And I do not have large ears. However, I would not call the Perfect Bass dark at all. Very crisp, clean, excellent. However, I also recently bought a cheap FiiO E1 for my iPod Touch, and to me, the Perfect Bass really sounds better with a little push from an amp. They seem underpowered or something with the Touch. But choosing one or the other is tough. If no amp, I say the DBAs. If using an amp, then the Perfect Bass phones are an excellent value at $89.

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #2,697 of 4,469
As far as I know the only difference between PB and PFE112 are the filters, which I'm about to purchase next week. Don't get me wrong- I really like their sound, I just got curious if additional driver brings some 'awesomness" to the sound of DBA worth twice the price of PFEs [which is quite too much I guess]. If not I'll just stick to what I have. 

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #2,698 of 4,469

Quote:

By popular demand, here are photos of my DBA-02's recabled with MEElec mic/remote wires. I can see no sign of the work that was performed, even under this magnification (right-hand housing on bottom, connected to mic/remote module).

And looking at the other side of the housings (right-hand housing on top):

PS. I like the Velcro-closure soft case that Fischer is now supplying with these - very pocketable and a bit bigger (also more finger-friendly) than the NuForce "snap-open" case I had been using.

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #2,699 of 4,469

Quote:
As far as I know the only difference between PB and PFE112 are the filters, which I'm about to purchase next week. Don't get me wrong- I really like their sound, I just got curious if additional driver brings some 'awesomness" to the sound of DBA worth twice the price of PFEs [which is quite too much I guess]. If not I'll just stick to what I have. 

Understood. My view is the DBAs are worth the extra money if you do not plan to use an amp. With the Perfect Bass phones, I have to turn the volume up to full to get enough sound with my Touch and Clip+, and even then it's not that loud with certain cuts. I think Phonak just makes them that way to save hearing or something like that. But if you already have a decent amp, nothing even that expensive, the PFEs with green filters  are a better value. Just my view, of course.

Oct 6, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #2,700 of 4,469

Quote:
If you already have the PFE, I don't think you will find DBA to be a major upgrade. What you will find, is that DBA is more v shaped sounding, more dynamic and has a better soundstage, but not quite good on the vocal. They are both exceptional good for their price of course.

I think they must be working better w/ my fit because the DBAs don't sound V shaped to me.  I was actually surprised how forward the vocals could get.  I have nigh zero issues w/ the DBA vocals at this price point.  I'm actually hearing them more forward and smoother than the DDMs were to me.  Call me lucky.

Quote:
But if you already have a decent amp, nothing even that expensive, the PFEs with green filters  are a better value. Just my view, of course.

For me the DBA does benefit a good deal from amping.  Much more than the SM3 or 530 for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back