Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Oct 7, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #2,716 of 4,469
I hope someone can review the DBAs against the ES5s
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #2,720 of 4,469
Quote:
Has anyone compared these to the q-jays?  I am thinking about picking up a pair and want to know what the differences might be.

Joker's reviews do just that. Review 2A10 is the q-Jays, 2A11 is the DBA's.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #2,722 of 4,469

Quote:
I read his review along with Clieos'.  The double armature shoot out on Headfonia made the q-jays sound better though.  Was just looking for some more opinions.  
http://www.headfonia.com/dual-drivers-q-jays-dba-02-ue700-westone-2-sf5pro-and-jh5pro/

The q-JAYS are very competent but they do have a flavour - they are a little edgy, a little dry. They emphasize bass and treble some and really don't resolve as well as the DBAs do. To my ears the DBAs just tell it like it is. Can I see someone preferring the q-JAYS? Sure. Are they as capable from a technical standpoint? Not quite. BTW I disagree with a couple of points in that review. The UE700 refined? Ha. 

Oct 9, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #2,723 of 4,469
Oct 10, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #2,724 of 4,469
After a few hundred hours on the DBA-02; they have only gotten better and better!  In the beginning they sounded a bit shrill, to the point I thought I made a big mistake.   Bass has come in, mids are detailed, highs have mellowed to be sweet. Now, they are great sounding IEMs & a great buy for the $$$.  I'm getting used to the cable.  It does get tangled up a bit more than others but not that big a deal.

I'm done with IEMs for a while. Time to enjoy the music.

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #2,725 of 4,469
I don't really find these to tangle any more or less than any decent cable. I have a ES cable that's pretty similar but a bit better than the cables on the DBA-02 but are similar in how they don't get tangled. It's probably the way you handle them if they get tangled imo. I will agree with you that these offer a huge bang for your buck and imo the best bang for your buck in the market today.

Oct 10, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #2,726 of 4,469
I have had problems with the wires gaining memory and kind of untangling- not majorly though 

Oct 10, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #2,727 of 4,469

Quote:
After a few hundred hours on the DBA-02; they have only gotten better and better!  In the beginning they sounded a bit shrill, to the point I thought I made a big mistake.   Bass has come in, mids are detailed, highs have mellowed to be sweet. Now, they are great sounding IEMs & a great buy for the $$$.  I'm getting used to the cable.  It does get tangled up a bit more than others but not that big a deal.

I'm done with IEMs for a while. Time to enjoy the music.

Am quite skeptical about this. Is it possible for fixed armature drivers to improve in time? I mean, I thought only dynamic drivers do that. I am on my 100th hour (estimate) with my DBA-02's and I dont seem to notice any change in sound quality

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #2,728 of 4,469
nah, BA's generally don't burn in.  its more your brain adjusting to that type of noise it makes.  like now, if you go to any "bass moderate" or "bass heavy" iem, you'll notice change in sound immediately.

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #2,729 of 4,469
Don't forget the electronic crossover.
Plus getting a good fit will give you great bass, something I've learn along the way. I press the IEMs, inward then downward to 'couple' with my ears.

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #2,730 of 4,469

Quote:
Am quite skeptical about this. Is it possible for fixed armature drivers to improve in time? I mean, I thought only dynamic drivers do that. I am on my 100th hour (estimate) with my DBA-02's and I dont seem to notice any change in sound quality

FWIW I had the DBA-02 for probably 6 weeks total with lots of time on it. I didn't notice anything different from out of the box to right before I sold it. Of course YMMV but that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back