Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Aug 12, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #1,427 of 4,469
Are the DBAs considered top of the line IEMs?

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #1,430 of 4,469
The DBAs are top of the line IEMs for Fischer Audio and some, not all, HFers who own them and also have owned or heard other top-tier IEMs and DBAs. For example, I have owned the SM3s, IE8, RE252, W3, UM3X, CK10, Monster Pro (Copper and Gold), Gr8 and the TF10s (I kid you not, I have owned them all), and simply prefer the DBAs. Oh, and I just bought the ER4P used (owned them once before) and also prefer them over the other top tier IEMs I have owned. Just one person's view, but believe me, if any of those other top tier IEMs has sounded as good to me as the DBAs do, I would still own them. All a matter of personal preference, of course. I hope all the DBA buyers who have been waiting for them enjoy them as much as I do.

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #1,431 of 4,469
I consider them top tier as well. I prefer them over phones such as IE8, CK100, TF10, MD's, Golds, Coppers, W3 and a bunch others. That's not to say they are better but they deserve to be in the same conversation as those imo of course. They just happen to have a signature that is more favorable to me than those. I like them a lot as I still have them over around 2 months of owning them which is really saying something as I've owned very few earphones for longer than 2 months with the CK10 and e-Q7 being the only others. It's not for everyone but if it's signature is for you then you will probably like it a lot.

Aug 12, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #1,432 of 4,469
Just curious, slaters70, but how do the DBA-02 compare to the ER4P?

Quote:
The DBAs are top of the line IEMs for Fischer Audio and some, not all, HFers who own them and also have owned or heard other top-tier IEMs and DBAs. For example, I have owned the SM3s, IE8, RE252, W3, UM3X, CK10, Monster Pro (Copper and Gold), Gr8 and the TF10s (I kid you not, I have owned them all), and simply prefer the DBAs. Oh, and I just bought the ER4P used (owned them once before) and also prefer them over the other top tier IEMs I have owned. Just one person's view, but believe me, if any of those other top tier IEMs has sounded as good to me as the DBAs do, I would still own them. All a matter of personal preference, of course. I hope all the DBA buyers who have been waiting for them enjoy them as much as I do.

Aug 12, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #1,434 of 4,469
Similar, and I think I posted it on an ER4P thread. The Etys can't be beaten in terms of micro-detail, and with the S adaper and m T3/LOD/Touch setup, they sound spectacular (I am also using custom sleeves with the Etys, UM56s I had left over from my UM3X days). The DBAs, on the other hand, have very good detail, but sound a bit warmer, a little more bass, than the Etys (using the same setup). Without an amp, I prefer the DBAs by a slim margin (the extra bass maybe, not sure?). But with the amp, they both sound great, and while I prefer the DBAs there too, it's a very tough call. As I noted someplace, I own the Etys once before, but didn't have a very good source at the time. Now, with either the Touch or the ZuneHD and the T3, I think I am hearing them the way Ety meant them to be heard. Nice to have both.

Quote:
Just curious, slaters70, but how do the DBA-02 compare to the ER4P?

Aug 12, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #1,435 of 4,469
Compared to the mc5s, how different are the er4s?

Aug 12, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #1,436 of 4,469

Quote:
Similar, and I think I posted it on an ER4P thread. The Etys can't be beaten in terms of micro-detail, and with the S adaper and m T3/LOD/Touch setup, they sound spectacular (I am also using custom sleeves with the Etys, UM56s I had left over from my UM3X days). The DBAs, on the other hand, have very good detail, but sound a bit warmer, a little more bass, than the Etys (using the same setup). Without an amp, I prefer the DBAs by a slim margin (the extra bass maybe, not sure?). But with the amp, they both sound great, and while I prefer the DBAs there too, it's a very tough call. As I noted someplace, I own the Etys once before, but didn't have a very good source at the time. Now, with either the Touch or the ZuneHD and the T3, I think I am hearing them the way Ety meant them to be heard. Nice to have both.

I'm not enjoying waiting for these... not one bit! 
wink_face.gif

My first IEM's were the ER6i. It was when they first came out... several years ago. I thought they were excellent. Incredible detail and clarity.
I like your comparison with the DBA-02, and am curious about the bass. Since the 'P' is the one that is supposed to have the 'increased bass', and wonder just how much more there is.

I'm not a bass head, but I do like things pretty real in that regard. I usually do not amp my IEM's. Amps at home usually (99.999% of the time) power full-sized cans. iPods power the IEM's. So they have to be compatible with them. BTW... a little warmth doesn't scare me.
rolleyes.gif

shane

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #1,437 of 4,469

Quote:
Compared to the mc5s, how different are the er4s?

My MC5s are pretty fresh but in comparison they have a bit more warmth, a bit less clarity, refinement and micro detail, and are more sonorous as shane likes to say.  I like the MC5 housing design better, the cable is less microphonic by a good margin but the ER4 has detachable cables.  MC5 is more comfortable and has slightly better isolating properties than the ER4 IMO.

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #1,438 of 4,469
X2 on the MC5 physical attributes. I really don't have any problems with the 4P bass, esp with the T3 and the S adapter. The DBAs just over an overall warmer quality than the Etys, but again, they both sound special to me.

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #1,439 of 4,469

Quote:

I'm not a bass head, but I do like things pretty real in that regard. I usually do not amp my IEM's. Amps at home usually (99.999% of the time) power full-sized cans. iPods power the IEM's. So they have to be compatible with them. BTW... a little warmth doesn't scare me.
rolleyes.gif

Since I got the DBA-02 back I use them strictly with my nano due to it is better suited in my pocket for a straight plug and it sounds fine. Of course I no longer own a portable amp so don't amp any dap. Whether you will like them or not depends on you however. I'm not sure if these have more warmth than the SE535 since I've never heard it. Patience is key I guess since you do have to wait a bit longer to get them.

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #1,440 of 4,469

Quote:
Patience is key I guess since you do have to wait a bit longer to get them.

Very true. Not much I can do about it but wait... and keep testing what I DO have.
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back