Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Aug 12, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #1,441 of 4,469

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #1,443 of 4,469
Can anybody compare the dbas to the phiaton ps200s?

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #1,444 of 4,469
These phones remind me of my Ety ER6i.  I hated their deep insertion...my brain still hurts!  I prefer shallower canal-phone type fit.

Please tell me that these are not like those. 

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #1,445 of 4,469
They are not shallow canal-phone IEMs if you use a tri-flange or long tip, but many owners prefer short tips (olives, Comply, OEM silicones, etc.). So they can be used either way. However, I had trouble with sibilance using short tips, so for me, they do require the Ety-like insertion depth. But it doesn't bother me at all because the sound is fantastic and no brain pain. You would have to try them to figure it out.

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #1,446 of 4,469

Quote:
They are not shallow canal-phone IEMs if you use a tri-flange or long tip, but many owners prefer short tips (olives, Comply, OEM silicones, etc.). So they can be used either way. However, I had trouble with sibilance using short tips, so for me, they do require the Ety-like insertion depth. But it doesn't bother me at all because the sound is fantastic and no brain pain. You would have to try them to figure it out.

Now this is good news. I like a deep insertion. Shallow insertions in my ears give too many resonant artifacts. Also my ear canals get pretty wide near the pinna and shallow often means poor seal.

Maybe I should let the wax build up more...
rolleyes.gif

wink.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #1,447 of 4,469
I've had some issues with shallow inserting tips such as sony hybrids and to an extent the sensorcom biflange tips. I heard a ridiculous amount of sibilance with the sony hybrids and some on the sensorcom but still too much for my liking. I've been using Shure triple flange with the stalk trimmed and currently Monster triple flange tips however I do need to cut the stalk a tiny bit more before they are good. If only I had an xacto knife it would be a bit easier since I just need to cut like 0.5mm on one side.

Of course triple flange tips are my tip of choice so it may not be welcomed for some others.

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #1,448 of 4,469

Quote:
Of course triple flange tips are my tip of choice so it may not be welcomed for some others.

Yeah... I'm one of those 'others'. Foam, only foam, but the Monster foamies are too 'rigid' for me.

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #1,449 of 4,469
In that case, you could have a problem with the DBAs, but rawrster and I share the short-tip/sibilance issue. Many others do not, though. This is a perfect example of how hard it is to control variables with sound and IEMs. If I had bought the DBAs and relied on the stock tips, they would have gone into the FS forum. But many other owners say the OEM or short tips bring little or no harshness. It's a mystery to me.

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #1,450 of 4,469
Right...
And if the Shure Olives came in a longer version (like the Comply 'P'), I'd have perfect fit and sound with all my IEM's.
The Olives do 'snug' very well.

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #1,451 of 4,469
My only issue with the DBA-02 is the cable really. I get some kind of annoying squeaking noise when the cable rubs against my glasses. I don't get this is any other kind of cable I've had. It makes me wish these had the ES cable instead with that short memory wire so I can wrap it in a way where it doesn't touch my glasses. I might even consider getting a pair of the phonak ear guides but I didn't like it much the last time I had them.

They sound so good and it's pretty frustrating knowing that the cable is causing such a silly issue for me. I don't want to put these up in the FS either however and there's no way I'm getting them made into customs which would probably solve the issue.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #1,453 of 4,469
I have sound magic ones and the one from FA but both of them are too large. I don't know why but this is the only cable I get it with and when I take my glasses off the rubbing noise goes away. I'll have to see if I can fix this by the end of the week.

Maybe if someone rewires my DBA-02 with my M9 cable since these don't really look too difficult to open up if I don't find a fix.

Also does anyone know how these compare to the RE252 or any other similarly priced earphone with same signature. I may look into alternatives if I can't find a fix. I might look into a ER4P/S as I've always wanted to own them. Ideally I'd get a W2 but that's pretty expensive for my use when I get all my gear back in my possession.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #1,454 of 4,469

Quote:
Right...
And if the Shure Olives came in a longer version (like the Comply 'P'), I'd have perfect fit and sound with all my IEM's.
The Olives do 'snug' very well.

I used Shure Olives for a while on my DBA's. They are so snug on the nozzles that you could easily leave them 'long' and they'd stay there.

As I've stated earlier, the OEM or Shure grey "soft flex" single flanges work best for me. Olives have a very similar SQ to these (the fantastic DBA sound: neutral + fun = IEM disappears, leaving just the music); no harshness or sibilance in my old ears.

I'm another glasses wearer, and don't notice any noise from the DBA wires. No ear guides used, but the wires have stiffened up just enough so they naturally fit that way after several months of extensive use.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #1,455 of 4,469

Quote:
Maybe if someone rewires my DBA-02 with my M9 cable since these don't really look too difficult to open up if I don't find a fix.

I like the idea of rewiring with MEElec cables  - I could get my integrated mic/remote that way with those very nice cables!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back