Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Aug 11, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #1,411 of 4,469
Where can I buy these? I live in the Netherlands...

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #1,412 of 4,469
My apologies for flogging the dead horse regarding build quality, but anyone notice that the looseness between the stress relief and the wire may cause microphonics when the wire knocks against the stress relief? Thinking of applying silicon to that thing to stop the problem and to waterproof the earphone housing (the gaps between the plastic and the inner housing make me paranoid whenever it starts to drizzle), but I'm afraid that something untoward may happen. Hmm :/

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #1,413 of 4,469
I get no microphonics whatsoever when I am wearing them over-the-ear.

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #1,414 of 4,469

Quote:
Where can I buy these? I live in the Netherlands...

There are several shops who distribute them, not in Western Europe, not sure though.  I read on this forum somewhere this company Musica Acoustics carries Fisher Audio products. You'd better contact few locations and ask since this particular model has been out of stock for long now.
http://www.musicaacoustics.com/

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #1,415 of 4,469
Okay, to be clear, LFF, who owns both the UE10 and the DBAs (and is the OP here) said he ranks the DBAs on the same level as the UE10s from his experience listening to both. He didn't, nor did anyone else, that they are on the "same level" as the JH13s. He did say that he has heard the JH13s and some friends who own the JH13s think very highly of the DBAs. So let's not get carried away. Plus, HPA's view of the DBAs, while he does have positive things to say about them, is more muted, if you will, since I believe he also says  he prefers the W2s by a tiny margin based on his comparison of the two.

Quote:
Interesting, so the DBA-02 are more suitable for rock?

Also, when you say the DBA-02 are more like an HF-1 than an HF-2 or RS-2, do you mean to say that they don't sound that good?  (I'm assuming here that the HF-2 and RS-2 are more high-end than the HF-1)  I would have thought they they would be compared to something like the RS-1, judging by some comments that placed them on the level of $$$ earphones like the JH-13's and UE-10's.

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #1,417 of 4,469

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #1,418 of 4,469
I get no noticeable microphonics when wearing over the ear. I've also had these a couple times when it's been raining but I did have an umbrella and no problems. It's also been pretty hot lately so been sweating while wearing these and no problems either. You would definitely need a lot of water to get in for these to not work and well most earphones. If you dunk these in a pool or something then they might not work for a while..

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #1,419 of 4,469
About shipping from the ebay reseller,  I have a reply from him that he will ship the dba as soon as it arrives in Russia, right now it isn't.  So this mean it not manufacture in Russia? and that once he receive them, we have to wait another two weeks before it make it to the states?  been anxiously waiting for them since July 10th, it been over a month and still no progress.

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #1,421 of 4,469

Quote:
About shipping from the ebay reseller,  I have a reply from him that he will ship the dba as soon as it arrives in Russia, right now it isn't.  So this mean it not manufacture in Russia?

Right, as with 99% of electronics nowadays, they are made in China. That's where all the equipment, factories, and technology is. There is possibility of some being made in Russia in the future - at least partially - but those will be new models and likely are a very long ways off. Other than Westone's UM series, I am not aware of any IEMs made anywhere other than China/Japan/Korea/Vietnam.
With FA being a small company, it's not very viable (at all) for them to make them in house in this day and age. That would lead to them needing to price their products at the $300+ we are used to seeing from companies. You just can't beat Asia for manufacturing overall, and if you want to survive without extra deep pockets behind you, you'd be crazy not to take advantage of what Asia offers.

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #1,422 of 4,469

Quote:
Interesting, so the DBA-02 are more suitable for rock?

Also, when you say the DBA-02 are more like an HF-1 than an HF-2 or RS-2, do you mean to say that they don't sound that good?  (I'm assuming here that the HF-2 and RS-2 are more high-end than the HF-1)  I would have thought they they would be compared to something like the RS-1, judging by some comments that placed them on the level of $$$ earphones like the JH-13's and UE-10's.

I'm saying the DBA-02's mids are not boosted or as forward as the HF-2 or RS-2 (which need bowls because of the mids), and more level sounding like the HF-1 with flats.  I suppose you could compare them to the RS-1, which are closest to the HF-1, but the RS-1 are slightly better.

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #1,423 of 4,469
I may have found some better tips than the triple flange from Shure. I think it's the material that the Shure is made of that is bothering me. It's really stiff so it's a bit more difficult to insert it in your ear because of that material. I suspect the Etymotic ones might be better since they are not as stiff (from memory) but I don't have them on hand. I had one more set of unused triple flanges so I cut off the stalk and put that on my DBA-02 and then put some Monster triple flanges on it. It seems to be much better although it didn't work as well the first time probably due to bad fit. Stage increases and a bit more bass. It might not isolate as well since it doesn't go in as deep now but that's because the stalk on the bottom of the tip is longer than what I have on my Shure. I can cut it off completely but then I probably wouldn't want to use it with my RE-Zero.

Aug 12, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #1,424 of 4,469
Good idea. I did the same, but used comply cores, on the SM3s when I had them (for using the Monster tips). But you are right, I have both the Ety and Shure tips, and the Ety material is much more forgiving/soft, which I why I prefer them. I have moved to using the custom sleeves more now, getting used to them as well. Nice option to have (and using the customs on my ER4P/S as well, so getting my money's worth with them (the customs).

Aug 12, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #1,425 of 4,469
I hope these come in today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back