Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jun 30, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #811 of 4,469
Those are Shure soft flex tips, and the do work with IEMs like the DBAs, Westones, Shures, SM3s, etc. But they don't look like the OEM tips I got with the DBAs. But I guess I should double check.

Seems that some DBA owners like the Etys, some like Etys trimmed to two flanges, and some like the stock tips. Scientifically speaking, they are much like any other IEMs. Once size does not fit all.

Quote:
In the interest of "IEM science" (Hey, I used to be an aerospace test engineer) with my DBA's, I've tried:

- Ety grey tri-flange
- Ety tri modded to bi-flange
- "Large" Ety bi-flanges (slightly larger than the bi-modded tri's)
- Shure olives.

After all those, the stock DBA mediums are still best in my ear for the superb DBA SQ with well-balanced bass, awesome mids, vocals and details, no harshness or sibilance to my old ears, easy to insert and secure enough. In second place were the large bi-flanges, but the insertion depth and comfort was less, and needed a two-hands for my left ear.

The olives may be OK, but I was afraid to push them very far down the nozzles. Can somebody remind me what the trick is to stretch the core?

Now I'm wondering what would be a good replacement for the stock silicone tips if I lost them - Shure grey tips like these? If yes, anyone know if the Shure sizing agrees with Fischer's?

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #813 of 4,469
I was of course thinking only of universal tips, and how a range of styles and sizes are in play. But okay, it would defeat the purpose of custom tips if one size fit all. However, interestingly, I have very good custom tips, but prefer universals with the DBAs and SM3s (comfort issue, not sound quality). The customs work much better with straight down phones like the MC5, for me at least.

Oh, I tried the Klipsch gels today (single flange, mediums) with the DBAs, and they didn't work at all for me. Sound was spikey, downright harsh, and I quickly put the Ety tri-flanges back.

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #814 of 4,469

Quote:
Funny, when I tried the stock tips, sibilance was off the charts. Could not use them. All ears are not created equal.

Exactly what I feel. Even with anything else, Olives included (oh dfrost you just have to grab it and twist it down till it goes all the way down, no other choice :) ) the "highs" which the stock tips seem to bring out are just. Unnaturally so. The Ety's add a layer of.. nature to the sound; snares stop sounding like they've been wound too tautly, rides stop sounding like short-lived tinkles (same with high-hats), and piano/violins gain body. Tried gliders, olives, the soft-flex thing from shure, complys, all sizes of the stock tips, and they just don't seem to improve the sound like the Etys do. Anyone else find it the same? Oh also, I've trimmed them down to size, bi-flanging your triflanges doesn't seem to affect the sound any. And.. I've found that a mix of two tips (yes I know it's weird) could give a nice balance to the sound, so you sort of get the best of both worlds, or like decrease any negative effect a tip has by half and boost its deficiencies with a different tip. The overall difference from each individual ear isn't noticable imho :)

Jul 1, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #815 of 4,469
Did somebody received the DBA-02 offered on the eBay? Is it only preorder?

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #816 of 4,469
im glad i cancelled my dba-02 pre-order
also bought fa-990 earbuds from russian federation on the 11th of june and until now it hasn't arrived in my country
thats just crazy!
im just dismayed on the shipping

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #817 of 4,469
Jul 1, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #819 of 4,469

Quote:
im glad i cancelled my dba-02 pre-order
also bought fa-990 earbuds from russian federation on the 11th of june and until now it hasn't arrived in my country
thats just crazy!
im just dismayed on the shipping

Wow and I thought I had a long wait. Mine supposedly left Russian on the 19th and I'm still waiting on them. Really a shame that the shipping is so bad and yet you pay a decent amount of money for it.
frown.gif
The wait continues...

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #820 of 4,469
but you will get it,...eventually  :D after long time waiting for s:flo2 I wouldnt mind to wait for dba02 .. the benefits will worth it .. my problem is low budget

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #821 of 4,469

Quote:
Wow and I thought I had a long wait. Mine supposedly left Russian on the 19th and I'm still waiting on them. Really a shame that the shipping is so bad and yet you pay a decent amount of money for it.
frown.gif
The wait continues...

i paid on the 11th and it went through different cities before it was cleared on the 21st to be shipped to my place
so now i have to wait another 2 weeks
the wait makes me mad and id rather let it go than wait for another eternity
right now, i dont really care if they are "the best price-performance iems that stacks up against $300+ rivals"
all the excitement seems to have vanished today when i knew shipping will take THAT long

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #825 of 4,469
The wait is absolutely killing me right now because I currently have NO iem's. I sent the Coppers in and know all I have is a set of the original white ipod buds I found in a drawer!
angry_face.gif
The DT990's are keeping me alive at home but I have 5hrs of bus rides this weekend and I don't know how this is going to go...
eek.gif
*there is not a sad enough emote for this*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back