Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jun 28, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #781 of 4,469

Quote:
Oh, I missed the Rock/Metal/Alternative part. That's pretty much all I listen to.
Especially for metal, speed is important. If you don't have the right speed, things begin to sound a little sloppy compared to how tight they sound with fast IEMs. I never realized how important that was until I heard metal with quick IEMs. I doubt the C3s have any trouble in that area though, being armatures. Dynamics are sometimes too smooth for metal, and don't have that quick, defined punch that helps give quick parts definition.
Bass just needs to be present when it should be and should have impact. The RE0s were alright for me, they just needed a little more impact. So, bass quantity isn't a huge deal, as long as it's not missing.
Something with a present mid helps guitars out a bit.
The highs I think are subjective. 
If your equipment is revealing, crap in crap out is how it goes.
I think the most important thing is not to get something boring or that you can't tap your toes to. If you aren't enjoying the music, you won't be headbanging when appropriate.

The C3's are quick enough, but their sound signature leaves a little (just a tiny bit) to be desired. In my Rockboxed Fuze I set the bass to -1 and the treble to +1. It's not that big of a deal, but I hate EQing. I had a set of NE-7M's for a bit over a year and loved them (for dynamic driver IEMs) - their sound signature was great and I didn't have to EQ them at all.

The C3's aren't as forgiving as the 7M's were (probably true of a lot of balanced armature IEM's - and seems to be true for the DBA-02'ss as well from what I've read in this thread). Some songs that I love sound like garbage with the C3's, whereas those same songs sounded pretty good with the 7M's. It was really an eye-opener for BA IEM's. On the other hand though, there are some songs that sound absolutely phenomenal with the C3's.

The cable doesn't bother me to much with the C3 (though it can be noisy at times), It's the fit that I have a problem with. Even with using really comfortable sleeves with them I can only use them for 1 - 1.5 hours max before I need to take a break from wearing them because they get so uncomfortable.

Reading about the cable and fit of the DBA-02's makes me want to try them out just for those reasons alone :wink:

Thanks for all of your help!

Jun 28, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #782 of 4,469

Hmm anyone know of amps that synergize well with the DBAs? Preferably cheap(er?) ones, cos I'm running on an extremely tight budget. Considering a CMoy (The BSG one, perhaps), PA2V2 or even the Fiio E5 ><. The ideal sound alteration I'm looking for perhaps would boost the bass slightly (give it more weight/prescence while not compromising on the current 'tightness') and rein the trebles in a bit to give the tone a more natural colour. I assume most amps improve soundstaging/separation so that goes without saying, even though any improvement over the already excellent soundstage/imaging of the DBA would be quite interesting indeed :)

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #784 of 4,469
The iBasso T3, which you can get for $90 or so used, is a great little amp paired with the DBAs. And it's getting very high praise. Save up some cash and get that rather than a low-priced amp.

Quote:
Hmm anyone know of amps that synergize well with the DBAs? Preferably cheap(er?) ones, cos I'm running on an extremely tight budget. Considering a CMoy (The BSG one, perhaps), PA2V2 or even the Fiio E5 ><. The ideal sound alteration I'm looking for perhaps would boost the bass slightly (give it more weight/prescence while not compromising on the current 'tightness') and rein the trebles in a bit to give the tone a more natural colour. I assume most amps improve soundstaging/separation so that goes without saying, even though any improvement over the already excellent soundstage/imaging of the DBA would be quite interesting indeed :)

Jun 28, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #785 of 4,469

Quote:
The iBasso T3, which you can get for $90 or so used, is a great little amp paired with the DBAs. And it's getting very high praise. Save up some cash and get that rather than a low-priced amp.

Haha and where could I obtain one used? And heh $90 is quite over my budget, which is why I was considering the more low-priced ones. Are the amps I'm considering worth the money I'm paying for them?

Jun 29, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #786 of 4,469
If you have an iPod there's the E1, but otherwise you'll probably get the most bang for your buck with a cMoy.

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #788 of 4,469

Quote:
does anyone can compare Shure SE530 to DBA-02 , will SE530 better than DBA-02 ? because Shure SE530 is really cheap right now, i am thinking to get one of these as well.

I have both and the DBA-02 is much, much better IMHO. The SE530 is still a great IEM but for my money and for better fidelity, I rather go with the DBA-02.

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #789 of 4,469

Quote:
I have both and the DBA-02 is much, much better IMHO. The SE530 is still a great IEM but for my money and for better fidelity, I rather go with the DBA-02.

You planning to get some SM3's LFF?

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #790 of 4,469
How about the FS forum. That's where I got mine for $90. But my belief is spending on those lower priced amps is a losing value prop in the long run (been there, done that). No need for an amp in that situation. Save your $$$.

Quote:
Haha and where could I obtain one used? And heh $90 is quite over my budget, which is why I was considering the more low-priced ones. Are the amps I'm considering worth the money I'm paying for them?

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #791 of 4,469

Quote:
does anyone can compare Shure SE530 to DBA-02 , will SE530 better than DBA-02 ? because Shure SE530 is really cheap right now, i am thinking to get one of these as well.

I have both as well and I like the SE530 better. I have done some A/B listening. The forward midrange always grabs my attention and enhances the listening experience for me. It just lacks the highs in a big way. Imaging and detail is a bit better with the DBA-02. The highs are much better with the DBA-02 but the midrange and bass are better with the SE530. If you like neutrality, the DBA-02 is the better choice. If you like musicality, the SE530 is the better choice. The highs are apparently better with the new SE535.

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #792 of 4,469
Hi, unfortunately the rice trick didn´t go well with my DBA-02. So back they go for replacement!
Having X10 as back up in not pretty at all. DBAs are really that much better!
Now that I have got used to the beautiful sound of DBAs I convinced myself to get a backup/upgrade to the latter. The question is, how much would I need to pay to get a significant SQ improvement? Mind you, I don´t expect a quality jump as going from X10 to DBA, but something still worthwhile.
I have been considering SM3 and even going with the customs approach  (JH-5pro maybe!), but I´m still reluctant to pay that much money. Someone has advised me to just get another pair of DBA-02. Moneywise this sounds like the reasonable thing to do. But as my experience regarding IEM is so limited, I feel compelled to  try other options.
DBA-02 has become my Pandora's Box, now I find myself wondering what would be like to listen to JH-13!!!
Dangerous hobbie for my wallet!! but how I love it!!
Could someone dare to give recommendations??
I miss my DBA badly!!
frown.gif

regards, Jose

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #793 of 4,469
That's too bad. If you're going to go the upgrade route just go for some good customs and save yourself some money. I went through many universals before I went the custom route. I have the Unique Melody Mage and it is the best custom I've heard for clarity and details. There are so many choices out there though. Pick your poison wisely!

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #794 of 4,469
I'm not sure if any universal will really be a significant upgrade over the DBA 02 but I haven't heard all of the good universals but a good number of them. I'm still a bit skeptic about customs but I intend to find out when my remolded ones are done and arrive at my house. I probably won't ever get the JH13 but I do intend to get the Mage eventually if it does work out for me in terms of customs.

Keep in mind that any of this will cost significantly more than the DBA 02 which are at a pretty low price.

Jun 29, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #795 of 4,469

Quote:
You planning to get some SM3's LFF?

Probably never. I agree with Rawrster. I really doubt another universal will be a huge upgrade over the balanced and musical sound signature of the DBA-02. I think the next logical upgrade to the DBA-02 would be a JH-13 for IEM or an HE-6 for full sized phones. With either upgrade choice, you're looking at spending over $1,000 USD!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back