Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Jun 29, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #796 of 4,469

Quote:
I have both and the DBA-02 is much, much better IMHO. The SE530 is still a great IEM but for my money and for better fidelity, I rather go with the DBA-02.

Quote:

I have both as well and I like the SE530 better. I have done some A/B listening. The forward midrange always grabs my attention and enhances the listening experience for me. It just lacks the highs in a big way. Imaging and detail is a bit better with the DBA-02. The highs are much better with the DBA-02 but the midrange and bass are better with the SE530. If you like neutrality, the DBA-02 is the better choice. If you like musicality, the SE530 is the better choice. The highs are apparently better with the new SE535.

Thanks LFF and Rip N' Burn . i have DBA-02  already, the thing is i never owned a top-brand like SHURE & WESTON, and now SE530 sale for around $300 AUD, so i just a little bit tempted by the price.

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #797 of 4,469
Hopefully not for my wallet's sake. I've asked some knowledgeable people and they said pretty much any well made custom should be an upgrade over universals. If the customs I'm going to get remolded (livewire trips) isn't as much of an upgrade as I plan and I have to get JH13 or equivalent quality custom I'm in serious trouble :p

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #799 of 4,469

Quote:
 what do you guys think? $300 aud for SHURE 530 is a good price?

Only if it's from an authorized dealer. The SE530 has known cable cracking issues and the Shure warranty is only honored if purchased from an authorized dealer. Another direction you can take is to buy some SE530's with cable cracks for cheap and get them remolded into customs by Unique Melody or Fisher Hearing.

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #800 of 4,469
^
I thought they fixed that issue with either in 2008 or 2009 as I haven't heard as many complaints about their cable in a while.

@piegonstone: one thing is that you should not be tempted by price. Try to do some research and see if it would be a good fit for you. For someone like me I would take neutrality over something fun like the W3 regardless of price. It's preference :)

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #802 of 4,469
Hmmm all you out there who own the DBA: IF YOU HAVENT TRIED THEM WITH ETY TRIFLANGE TIPS, YOU SHOULD. The horrible highs are so much nicer, the bass is more present, and basically a lot of gripes I once had with them are gone. Only problem is that my ears feel that something is constantly trying to rip them apart. Would doing the biflange mod kill the sound any? :/

Also regarding amps, would a CMoy amp with an OPA2132 opamp and good film resistors make any difference? Like. A modded CMoy, kind of.

Jun 30, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #803 of 4,469

Quote:
Hmmm all you out there who own the DBA: IF YOU HAVENT TRIED THEM WITH ETY TRIFLANGE TIPS, YOU SHOULD. The horrible highs are so much nicer, the bass is more present, and basically a lot of gripes I once had with them are gone. Only problem is that my ears feel that something is constantly trying to rip them apart. Would doing the biflange mod kill the sound any? :/

Also regarding amps, would a CMoy amp with an OPA2132 opamp and good film resistors make any difference? Like. A modded CMoy, kind of.

agree with you. have been using them with the ety gray bi-flange ever since i bought em bout a month+ back... removed the top flange to make it bi-flange, never look back since... imo, it still sounded the same with tri-flange.

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #806 of 4,469

Jun 30, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #808 of 4,469
The stock tips were pretty strange for me. I had some issues getting the phones in my ears with the stock tips for some reason so I just went to my other smaller nozzle tips in the triple flange by Shure. From memory the Etymotic ones are probably more comfortable since I remember them being softer but no point in buying them when I have triple flanges from Shure (which I bought for my now sold CK10) and 3 pairs should last a lifetime.

Jun 30, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #809 of 4,469
In the interest of "IEM science" (Hey, I used to be an aerospace test engineer) with my DBA's, I've tried:

- Ety grey tri-flange
- Ety tri modded to bi-flange
- "Large" Ety bi-flanges (slightly larger than the bi-modded tri's)
- Shure olives.

After all those, the stock DBA mediums are still best in my ear for the superb DBA SQ with well-balanced bass, awesome mids, vocals and details, no harshness or sibilance to my old ears, easy to insert and secure enough. In second place were the large bi-flanges, but the insertion depth and comfort was less, and needed a two-hands for my left ear.

The olives may be OK, but I was afraid to push them very far down the nozzles. Can somebody remind me what the trick is to stretch the core?

Now I'm wondering what would be a good replacement for the stock silicone tips if I lost them - Shure grey tips like these? If yes, anyone know if the Shure sizing agrees with Fischer's?

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #810 of 4,469

Quote:
In the interest of "IEM science" (Hey, I used to be an aerospace test engineer) with my DBA's, I've tried:

- Ety grey tri-flange
- Ety tri modded to bi-flange
- "Large" Ety bi-flanges (slightly larger than the bi-modded tri's)
- Shure olives.

After all those, the stock DBA mediums are still best in my ear for the superb DBA SQ with well-balanced bass, awesome mids, vocals and details, no harshness or sibilance to my old ears, easy to insert and secure enough. In second place were the large bi-flanges, but the insertion depth and comfort was less, and needed a two-hands for my left ear.

The olives may be OK, but I was afraid to push them very far down the nozzles. Can somebody remind me what the trick is to stretch the core?

Now I'm wondering what would be a good replacement for the stock silicone tips if I lost them - Shure grey tips like these? If yes, anyone know if the Shure sizing agrees with Fischer's?

The only problem w/ tip 'science' is the fact that everyones ear canal is different.  Other than that its always good to see someone apply methodolgy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back