Review: Fischer Audio's DBA-02
Feb 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #4,411 of 4,469
Been lurking on this site for quite a while. Nice review - thanks. I think I've arrived at the point with my Westone 3's that I'm ready to try something else. I just can't seem to get a great fit with the Westones, and am looking for something a little more balanced with a nice open high-end. These would seem to fit the bill nicely. Are these currently only available through MusicaAcoustics? I've e-mailed them an inquiry. I also found them on noisymotel.com, but I don't think they ship out of Australia. Interestingly, I couldn't find these listed on the Fischer Audio website - just the dba-02, and dba-04 (?), which didn't have any info or photos - and to find those, you have to do a search, as they don't come up under the "Products" link.
WK

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #4,414 of 4,469
Just got my DBA-02 bare (no accessories). How can I clean the nozzle, and which tips are recommended?
Thanks.

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #4,416 of 4,469
The cable on my Dba-02 is stiff and will break soon (I can feel it). Is there a guide on how to remove the plastic shell and solder a new cable?

Where can i buy good quality cables in Europe (Sweden)??

Thank you!

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #4,417 of 4,469
Quote:
The cable on my Dba-02 is stiff and will break soon (I can feel it). Is there a guide on how to remove the plastic shell and solder a new cable?

Where can i buy good quality cables in Europe (Sweden)??

Thank you!

There's a photo somewhere in this monster thread showing the clear cover removed.

I'm one of several who had Brian at BTG Audio modify my DBA-02's with Westone-type sockets. Brian does a beautiful, quick job, and these now can be used with readily available and very high quality Westone cables. If you aren't interested in removable cables, Brian can also rebuild them with a new cable.

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #4,420 of 4,469
Quote:
O crap. I accidentally removed the filter... now it sounds treble happy :p
3M tape to the rescue...

I tried listening to these IEMs again and coming from the ASG1s, they are really sounding bright... So I tried playing with some DIY filters and ended up with 2 layers of 3M Micropore tape on the nozzle. Am now headbanging with Metallica's Black album
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #4,422 of 4,469
I don't know whether the 'blown out' bass effect is indicative of a fault or if it's just the DBA's sig. I find that I can 'hear' significant bass extension without noticeable roll-off but I don't 'feel' it through the DBAs. I think it's a remarkable phone but doesn't suit my preference for all types of music.

For something like Animal Collective's Sung Tongs, all acoustic guitars and harmonies, lots of space with the only 'bass' coming from hand drums, you can hear every plucked string and exhalation in a very wide almost 3D soundstage which I've never experienced with another IEM (or full-size phone, for that matter). If I switch to a record with a fuller body, like Panda Bear's Tomboy, where it's all about thick low-mids and driving kick drums, the vocals sound fantastic but the overall recording sounds emasculated.

Since you do 'hear' the bass, and the separation is so good, jazz and classical will certainly work well through them but I probably prefer a dynamic phone for regular listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back