[REVIEW] Fischer Audio - For Your Ears Only
May 26, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #76 of 195

Quote:
Looking forward to the Eterna v1 and v2 comparo! I hope that their price tag remains the same. :)

Price will stay the same, or at least price to the dealers will. It's up to the dealer what price they set, though I think all plan to stay with MRSP. I know I will at least.

Quote:
So, the V.2 Eternas are shipping now?

They will when they arrive. Unfortunately TNT's tracking is utter crap (first and last time using them, thought I'd give them a chance) and doesn't even show as being in the books. The time quote was around 6 days and they were shipped on the 21st, so taking into perspective the public holiday in Canada on Monday, they should be here soon.
Anyways, DHL is next on the to-try list. I wish Purolator was international, I swear by them for getting things shipped to me domestically in Canada.

May 27, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #77 of 195

Quote:
They will when they arrive. Unfortunately TNT's tracking is utter crap (first and last time using them, thought I'd give them a chance) and doesn't even show as being in the books. The time quote was around 6 days and they were shipped on the 21st, so taking into perspective the public holiday in Canada on Monday, they should be here soon.
Anyways, DHL is next on the to-try list. I wish Purolator was international, I swear by them for getting things shipped to me domestically in Canada.

Yes, that's what I meant, that they were being shipped to you. I realize you don't have them in hand yet.

May 27, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #78 of 195
Quote:
ClieOS, I wish to know the comparison between the Eterna v1 with the DBA-02. I liked the bass quantity on Eterna, but the biggest problem I have is the treble that's just too weak, it sounded very muffled/veiled. What I wanted to know is:

1) How does DBA-02 compare to Eterna v1 in terms of bass (impact, amount and detail). For me the Eterna delivers bass until 30Hz at 4dB below the reference 100Hz loudness, while 50Hz above is pretty flat, on this regard how does DBA-02 fare on the sub-bass roll off?
2) On songs that are "balanced" (not bright or dark recordings), does the vocal on DBA-02 sounded bright like Hippo Shroom? I find that Shroom's vocal sounded a bit artificially sharp, like the volume on upper midrange boosted.
3) Are the treble's volume(or quantity) too high or it's enough? For comparison on Eterna v1 the treble volume is quite weak for me.

I now run my Eterna v1 with boosted upper mid+treble (increasing dB from upper mid onwards) and the quantity is ok, but the driver's treble detail is limited.

I just return from a short trip and both Omega v2 and Eterna v2 are already in the house. Can't really tell you very much about Eterna v2 at the moment since it hasn't been burnt in and I don't want to give it a premature judgment. However, I can tell you it is already better than the beta unit I have, which of course is a good thing. More will come in the future review.

1) As far as DBA-02 and Eterna v1, DBA-02 has better bass resolution and speed, Eterna has much larger quantity and better texture. DBA-02 is simply not the big bass type. I find its bass to slowly roll off around 100Hz and disappear around 30Hz.

2) If you find Shroom vocal to be sharp, then DBA-02 is just, if not more sharp on the upper mid.

3) I would think most non-analytical listener will find the treble a little more than enough.

May 27, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #79 of 195
Can't wait for your review on the new, final, Eternas. I hope they are at least comparable to the first ones you reviewed a long time ago.

May 27, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #80 of 195

Quote:
I just return from a short trip and both Omega v2 and Eterna v2 are already in the house. Can't really tell you very much about Eterna v2 at the moment since it hasn't been burnt in and I don't want to give it a premature judgment. However, I can tell you it is already better than the beta unit I have, which of course is a good thing. More will come in the future review.

1) As far as DBA-02 and Eterna v1, DBA-02 has better bass resolution and speed, Eterna has much larger quantity and better texture. DBA-02 is simply not the big bass type. I find its bass to slowly roll off around 100Hz and disappear around 30Hz.

2) If you find Shroom vocal to be sharp, then DBA-02 is just, if not more sharp on the upper mid.

3) I would think most non-analytical listener will find the treble a little more than enough.

Thanks for the reply, it seems DBA-02 aren't for me after all. Now I'm putting my hope on the Eterna v2.

May 27, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #81 of 195

Quote:
I1) As far as DBA-02 and Eterna v1, DBA-02 has better bass resolution and speed, Eterna has much larger quantity and better texture. DBA-02 is simply not the big bass type. I find its bass to slowly roll off around 100Hz and disappear around 30Hz.

ClieOS,  thank you so much for your continued impressions and comparisons!

Would you say that the Triple.Fi 10 bass extends further and more fully than DBA but also that the TF-10 mids are recessed whereas the DBA has better balance across the whole frequency range?

Would you say that the DBA does sound "full" though?  (Are DBA and Triple.fi both "full" but just in different ways?)  

I have PK1 and sure, I am not expecting the same bass but rather more clarity from the DBA.  I am just wary of something that is too RE0-like in the bass department!

WEIRD question (since earbuds are so different): which iem do you think a PK1 lover would like and which iem is most "like" the PK1 in terms of sound signature/full sound?

Big thanks for any answers, I have to do SOMETHING while the DBA's still haven't arrived.
tongue_smile.gif

EDIT:  While surfing around and contemplating this search for an iem that I would be happy with, I found an open box deal on Sennheiser ie8's for $229 at HeadRoom.  I bought them...and have requested refund on the DBA-02.  Now I may never know what I'm missing with the DBA, but as long as I am happy with the Senns and finally have iems...

May 27, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #83 of 195
Well I guess you don't need the answers anymore, but I will answer them in case others find them useful.

Quote:
Would you say that the Triple.Fi 10 bass extends further and more fully than DBA but also that the TF-10 mids are recessed whereas the DBA has better balance across the whole frequency range?

I would. TF10 bass also rolls off around 100Hz, but in slower, flatter fashion compared to DBA-02. It only rolls sharper around 50Hz~60Hz and disappear around 25Hz. TF10 mid does sound more recessed compared to DBA. I won't call DBA to be more balanced, perhaps just flatter (more neutral).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE TEE /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would you say that the DBA does sound "full" though?  (Are DBA and Triple.fi both "full" but just in different ways?)  

DBA is fuller in comparison, but neither is really full (which has more to do with a well bodied mid)

Quote:
I have PK1 and sure, I am not expecting the same bass but rather more clarity from the DBA.  I am just wary of something that is too RE0-like in the bass department!

DBA-02's bass is quantitatively and qualitatively better than RE0. RE0 has smoother, better resolving treble in comparison.

Quote:

WEIRD question (since earbuds are so different): which iem do you think a PK1 lover would like and which iem is most "like" the PK1 in terms of sound signature/full sound?

Ortofon e-Q7 will be my recommendation for PK1 user.

May 28, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #84 of 195
Man, I take back my harsh words on TNT. Exactly 24 hours from my shipment of Eterna being picked up from the sender in Hong Kong, the shipment is not only in Vancouver but is also already on it's way to me (ie. not sitting in customs or in a room somwhere). Talk about service, and relatively cheap, too.

May 28, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #85 of 195
Dear ClieOS,

THANK YOU, I will file all of that away in my brain as it sounds like I would enjoy the DBA (if I were patient enough to keep waiting).

But, I found the ie8 open-box deal so I will try them first.  If they don't work out or I also want something <more neutral/accurate> I will try DBA and then Ortofon later (because of price).

I have a plan based on your help!  Really appreciate the technical and comparative descriptions. 

Cheers,
Cee Tee

May 28, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #86 of 195

Quote:
Well I guess you don't need the answers anymore, but I will answer them in case others find them useful.

Quote:
I would. TF10 bass also rolls off around 100Hz, but in slower, flatter fashion compared to DBA-02. It only rolls sharper around 50Hz~60Hz and disappear around 25Hz. TF10 mid does sound more recessed compared to DBA. I won't call DBA to be more balanced, perhaps just flatter (more neutral).

Quote:
DBA is fuller in comparison, but neither is really full (which has more to do with a well bodied mid)

Quote:
DBA-02's bass is quantitatively and qualitatively better than RE0. RE0 has smoother, better resolving treble in comparison.

Quote:
Ortofon e-Q7 will be my recommendation for PK1 user.

Hi ClieOS ,                                                                                                                                                                                       Would the DBA-02 have a thinner overall sound compare to TF 10 ? Which iem ( DBA-02, Silver Bullet, Eterna V2) , in your opinion will be the best complement to the TF 10 ? Thanks in advance.

May 28, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #87 of 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi ClieOS ,                                                                                                                                                                                      
Would the DBA-02 have a thinner overall sound compare to TF 10 ? Which iem ( DBA-02, Silver Bullet, Eterna V2) , in your opinion will be the best complement to the TF 10 ? Thanks in advance.

TF10 has more bass than DBA-02, but DBA-02 has fuller mid. If by 'complement' you means a different sound signature, I think Eterna V2 will fit that description.

May 28, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #88 of 195
The new Eterna has arrived. Kudos to TNT, 36 hour shipping.

Initial pre-burn in summary: they sound generally the same, except for a decrease in sheer bass quantity and having more tonal accuracy.
Mid-bass bump seems to be cut right out, something I'm glad to see. Most of the missing bass seems to be because of the mid-bass bump being removed. Sub-bass amounts seem fairly similar, perhaps a slight decrease with the Rev.2. It's worth noting that tips make less of a difference now; I can get the same sound signature with both the stock bi-flanges and my Sony hybrid fakes. Now we'll see what burn-in does.

May 28, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #89 of 195

Quote:
The new Eterna has arrived. Kudos to TNT, 36 hour shipping.

Initial pre-burn in summary: they sound generally the same, except for a decrease in sheer bass quantity and having more tonal accuracy.
Mid-bass bump seems to be cut right out, something I'm glad to see. Most of the missing bass seems to be because of the mid-bass bump being removed. Sub-bass amounts seem fairly similar, perhaps a slight decrease with the Rev.2. It's worth noting that tips make less of a difference now; I can get the same sound signature with both the stock bi-flanges and my Sony hybrid fakes. Now we'll see what burn-in does.

Great to hear that! 

Edit: 36 hour shipping?

May 28, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #90 of 195

Quote:
Great to hear that! 

Edit: 36 hour shipping?

They were picked up from the sender in Hong Kong on Wednesday. They arrived at my doorstep at 10:00 this morning. I'm personally extremely impressed for the price I paid. It was half the price of what FedEx would be, and the TNT guarantee was a good 4 days faster. Upon closer inspection my package was sent Express instead of Economy Express (Priority Express is next up), but the price I have is correct. For double the price I would have gotten shipping at half the speed with FedEx. Call me a happy customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back