REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Nov 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #1,861 of 2,116
Quote:
I used to drive my fa011 directly from my pc (creative audigy2 and kx drivers). the sound level was adequate.

Today I have got my O2 (I just could test them for an hour because it’s a xmas present) and tried them with the FA011, the first impression was mainly that the fa011 could produce high tones. the bass hasn't changed at all, its sounds actually less because of the more higher tones. I am a little bit disappointed because of this fact. Mainly because in this thread was suggested that FA011 amped would be better with sub bass (with is not the case, maybe this is true with other amps? Amps that are colored )

But the upside of the more higher tones is that the fa011 sound wider.
As an example http://soundcloud.com/bopiliqod/nsdfs the rain, crow and thunder sounds a lot better.

It depends a lot with the amp, the O2 is not a coloured amp which is almost flat lined neutral, technically given that it only add's a gain to your music without affecting the sound characteristics much, if you used something else different perspectives of the sound will be enhanced or boasted.

Enjoy.

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #1,862 of 2,116
DefQon, so you like the DV336 with FA011?

Nice choice man, great minds think alike.

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #1,863 of 2,116
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I'm about to pull the trigger on some FA-011's, but had noticed all the build quality / finish / comfort issues posted in this thread.

Would anyone own a recent enough model to let me know if the current batch is a good one?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'm currently tossing up between these, the Mad Dogs and Hifiman HE-400s (both of which I understand cost significantly more). I'm looking for a set of cans that provide enough bass to satisfy my basshead desires when I listen to contemporary pop, rock, hip hop and rnb music. I already own the 701s which I use for jazz, ballad and classical. Any tips on whether either of those cans would considerably outperform the FA-011's would also be helpful.

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #1,864 of 2,116
Quote:
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I'm about to pull the trigger on some FA-011's, but had noticed all the build quality / finish / comfort issues posted in this thread.

Would anyone own a recent enough model to let me know if the current batch is a good one?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'm currently tossing up between these, the Mad Dogs and Hifiman HE-400s (both of which I understand cost significantly more). I'm looking for a set of cans that provide enough bass to satisfy my basshead desires when I listen to contemporary pop, rock, hip hop and rnb music. I already own the 701s which I use for jazz, ballad and classical. Any tips on whether either of those cans would considerably outperform the FA-011's would also be helpful.

I would also like to suggest the older Denons (Haven't heard the newer line), i.e. the D2000/5000/7000 if your budget allows. Great bass, and a very clear sound (partly due to the pronounced bass and treble), large soundstage for a closed can. Great for pop, hih hop and rmb; ok at rock.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #1,865 of 2,116
Hi,
I have got these from a new batch (got them about two months ago, the natural wood ones) and they seem to be the way they're supposed to. They also came in the nice carrying bag.

That being said I'm still a little confused on what to think of these. The build quality is not very impressive at the price. The cord and the pads are terrible (to me). Soundwise they're good but i don't think they're better then my Takstar pro80 ($90 shipped worldwide). The bass is very good for an open can but i still get a feeling of "loudness" when I'm listening to them if that makes any sense. To me they're far behinf my SR325is on everything except bass impact.

I don't think they're bad (and I love the wooden cups on them!) but I think you can get the same SQ and better built cheaper. Alternative would be to spend al little more and get something significantly better. I regret myself for not spending some extra ang getting something even better (in my case that would have been the D2000).

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #1,866 of 2,116
Thanks Peter123 and MrAdrian,

I agree, after reading this thread I began to have concerns about the build quality of these, especially given their inconsistency. I think I'll hold off on them now and look into some slightly more expensive cans.

The Denons look like a great idea except they don't seem to have much of an active market. Where would I be able to pick one up that ships to Australia?

Nov 30, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #1,867 of 2,116
Yeah ever since they discontinued their price have rocket'd up. I regret selling my pair

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #1,868 of 2,116
Quote:
DefQon, so you like the DV336 with FA011?

Nice choice man, great minds think alike.

Yep, both mine are modded, too bad the DV336 ain't balanced but with some mildly pricey RCA 1950's grey glass 6NS7 + HP make NOS level GE 6AS7GA black smooth plate top 0 getter provides me with the best voice reproduction, bass and soundstage the 011's allow me too listen to for anything that calls for bass without it being too overpowering or recessed treble or non-existant highs. I enjoy almost anything from rap to classical to electronic especially, immensely almost to the point where I actually find it better sounding than my LCD2' s in stock form.

Oh and not to mention I finding the comfort of the pad's fairly worse than before now, now that I've gone bald, the driver housing touches my damn ear's and kills after a prolonged period of usage, don't want to add extra thing's between the pad itself inside but might ask Fischer if they are able to send me some new thicker pad's they stock in exchange for a bottle of vodka.

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #1,869 of 2,116
Quote:
Oh and not to mention I finding the comfort of the pad's fairly worse than before now, now that I've gone bald, the driver housing touches my damn ear's and kills after a prolonged period of usage, don't want to add extra thing's between the pad itself inside but might ask Fischer if they are able to send me some new thicker pad's they stock in exchange for a bottle of vodka.

Let us know how that goes, I would love a set of thicker pads as well! Actually maybe try and get 2? I will be happy to contribute + pay shipping from you to me (Perth).

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #1,871 of 2,116
okay so I don't have time to read through all 125 pages but from what I have read I have noticed that these perform exceptionally for the price point. I'm wondering what price point they can compete with because I want an open bass heavy can that is a significant upgrade from Shure srh840 in most if not all aspects. I know that these were compared to the hd650's which is remarkable considering the price difference between the two, but can they compete with other headphones in that price range?

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #1,872 of 2,116
Don't think they can compare to the Sennheiser HD6x0 series, imho

Users who are viewing this thread

Back