REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Mar 1, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #1,592 of 2,116
Have been attempted by others, looks ugly and clamps hard and more sound leakage because the pads don't close over your ear's properly having a slight opening towards the back of your ear.

Harsh comments! I didn't notice what you have done until just then! Must be too tired last night... How do u find ur mod?

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #1,593 of 2,116
Sucks!  But I have a hifiman replacement headband on the way and I will be installing it.  Its going to be beautiful.  Who has attempted to put a new headband onto the FA011?  Can you provide links please?

With the HE series headband and braces there will be no issues with clamp or leakage.  Its an open back headphone, its going to leak no matter what you do.  

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #1,594 of 2,116
I actually took the extra Velour pads from my FA-003s and put them on my FA-011s.  It took a biT of effort, not quite a perfect fit (I don't think they look nearly as nice, but it's more about the sound anyway).  There may be some negatives to it, but to me it is EXTREMELY comfortable, much more so than my FA-003s, which are really comfy.  It also gets much better isolation, and I might be imagining it, but because of the better isolation, it seems to have slightly tamed the bit of harsh treble, probably because of an increase in mids/bass with the isolation.  Overall it seems slightly less clear than before, but it also doesn't cause extreme ear pain like it did before, and I subjectively enjoy the sound more for gaming/movies/more bass heavy music.  

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #1,595 of 2,116

Quote:
Sucks!  But I have a hifiman replacement headband on the way and I will be installing it.  Its going to be beautiful.  Who has attempted to put a new headband onto the FA011?  Can you provide links please?

With the HE series headband and braces there will be no issues with clamp or leakage.  Its an open back headphone, its going to leak no matter what you do.  

Looking forward to seeing your completed mod. The one in the pics wasn't exactly a beauty. 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #1,596 of 2,116
Well, my FA-011s are for sale.  We had a good run, but in the end, the D2000s won out.  Mine are the dark wood version, but I never noticed any of the sound quality problems that others reported with them.

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #1,597 of 2,116

Quote:

Quote:
Harsh comments! I didn't notice what you have done until just then! Must be too tired last night... How do u find ur mod?

Moved the drivers into a Beyer DT770 enclosure, didn't look to be bad, but sounded horrible. I also attempted to try and manage to retain the wooden housing from the 011's and cross-mod it with the headband + braces of the DT770 = end result was me throwing out the DT770 headband and braces. Installed the 011 back to its original design just with a resistor impedence mod, filter opening and dampening on the right hand side of the drivers and 3 braid 22guage pure silver cable mod which I need to reterminate the Neutrik 3.5mm plug because I don't like the way the heatshrink turned (bit bubbly on one side pushing the teflon braid out). I'm actually thinking of making the 011's into a balanced headphone but not sure whether to use 2 TRS balanced plugs or 2 3.5m balanced plugs. I also even thinking of getting a friend to mill me 2 pairs of wooden cup's using 2 undecided types of wood. 

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #1,598 of 2,116
My Fischers will be up for sale soon. I haven't got the funds to keep both sets of headphones and the DT770s have won; only because they are closed and isolate better so I can use them at work as well as home. I am hoping to pick up some Fischers again in the future when I am a bit more flush. I sure will miss that sexy wood! Would be amazing is Fischer started laquring or varnishing the wood - they could probably stick and extra £50 on the price too as they would look swish.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #1,599 of 2,116
Pictures for the mods as well as some impressions?

I did some mods on my gf's pair as well... Treated it like a Denon inside a Grado 
ph34r.gif
 Bass remained while mids sound more forward/warmer. She 'requested' me to do so for her because the highs were crazy, so I guess I somehow made it better for her...

I will post pics if I get the chance to open them up again.

Quote:

Moved the drivers into a Beyer DT770 enclosure, didn't look to be bad, but sounded horrible. I also attempted to try and manage to retain the wooden housing from the 011's and cross-mod it with the headband + braces of the DT770 = end result was me throwing out the DT770 headband and braces. Installed the 011 back to its original design just with a resistor impedence mod, filter opening and dampening on the right hand side of the drivers and 3 braid 22guage pure silver cable mod which I need to reterminate the Neutrik 3.5mm plug because I don't like the way the heatshrink turned (bit bubbly on one side pushing the teflon braid out). I'm actually thinking of making the 011's into a balanced headphone but not sure whether to use 2 TRS balanced plugs or 2 3.5m balanced plugs. I also even thinking of getting a friend to mill me 2 pairs of wooden cup's using 2 undecided types of wood. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #1,600 of 2,116
I want these, but the QC issues keep me from pulling the trigger. Doesn't appear that anyone has them in stock now anyway, except GD Audiobase, and their customer service seems sketchy at best.

I wonder if Fischer has any idea how many sales they're losing, or if they even care.

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #1,601 of 2,116

Quote:
I want these, but the QC issues keep me from pulling the trigger. Doesn't appear that anyone has them in stock now anyway, except GD Audiobase, and their customer service seems sketchy at best.
I wonder if Fischer has any idea how many sales they're losing, or if they even care.

Right?

I got lucky enough to snatch these up from daveDerek, and I haven't made a better purchase in a long time.

If they would just make an attempt to spread their business or atleast solidify a trust worthy distributer, I would buy everything in their line.

This headphone makes me cringe at how much i spent on my senn's and denon's :)

best value headphone for sure

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #1,602 of 2,116
Well, I dropped a line to Frogbeats to find out when they'll have more in stock, maybe they'll reply.

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #1,603 of 2,116
Outstanding review...thank you very much for taking time.

Information does not seem easy to come by with this marque, Fischer Audio seems a bit too elusive  and detached as a company as of yet to warrant my confidence in ownership, generally speaking...

...but for $100 how can one go wrong.

And excuse me, the initial comparison to the Grado..

Well, these headphones have a whopping impedance of 160ohms !!

Grado can be connected to any simple digital output device without an amp...

...and should one add a a quality portable amp to the Grado, say the rs125-325, and even something inexpensive such as a cmoy, say the JDS BB model....would it not "FTW" as they say ..???  :)

A Grado can be had for the same price, is portable, does not require an amp to drive all the time, can be upgraded in numerous inexpensive and characteristic ways to counteract the many simple criticisms such as comfort (ie. headband), as well as other aspects more profound ... and Grado will always be around and is always there for reliable and inexpensive repairs, even out of warranty..

Just a thought. Call me sentimental....

Nevertheless, you've painted a great picture here for those of us hunting..
Thank you once again for taking time.

Kind regards
D

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #1,604 of 2,116

MAGICKMAN SAID:

"I want these, but the QC issues keep me from pulling the trigger. Doesn't appear that anyone has them in stock now anyway, except GD Audiobase, and their customer service seems sketchy at best.

I wonder if Fischer has any idea how many sales they're losing, or if they even care."

Yes, exactly...

For those in the know, it is just so, well, typically RUSSIAN.....sigh...

People criticize my beloved Italy in a similar way for their shortcomings, though it is a different thing entirely..

Italians are cute and naive generally ... they are very much the antithesis to Germans (should one be familiar)..

This sort of thing is just all so Russian. Fly by night, quality control issues, mysterious and unreliable...

It really puts me off, and indeed in these times, you close your eyes for second and you are walked over.

They may very well drop the ball here on a great possibility/opportunity if they don't wake up....FAST.

my .02.

<Update>
PS: As a note, I've perused their facebook page where it seems at least someone speaks behind the dark curtain..

Though, I note the only real vendor it seems who is actually receiving shipments is "HeadSound" in Berlin..although the site is German, they DO ship world-wide.

They too seem very young and disorganized per the posts, and responses to genuine interest, and attempts to make payment, etc..

I do not wish to promote misinformation, but although this group seems to be a young(er) band of audiophiles working in a basement trying to make a dream come true, which I admire, and gives it all a very fresh  and eccentric aire to it all, they are not entirely ready to go public just yet it feels to me.

Much less for massive sales, much less, world-wide sales...

They seem fun though, and honest. Wish them the best fwiw.. I may take the plunge second hand regardless...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back