REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Nov 15, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #1,248 of 2,116
Hello Guys, just a little update regarding the shipping of my FA011 from GD Audiobase. My order changed to "shipped" status on 21st Oct, I didn't get any traking no., but I finally received it today (Belgium). The guys at GD don't answer to emails 99% of the time, but they do deliver. The package was simply the headphones box wrapped in brown thick paper, and that's it. But still my box is in perfect condition, so no complain here. The wooden cups are not scratched neither the pads, and received the cable extension, but no adapter from 3,5mm to the 1/4 inch.

Regarding the headphones itself, well the built quality seems very good, sound is nice and indeed the bass is great (Sorry I do not have any reference point as these are my first full size cans). I'll see if the Fiio E11 changes anything when I receive it soon...

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #1,250 of 2,116
This thread is bordering on a boycot GD audio base thread.

Mine were shipped the 21st, it is now the 18th, no tracking number, no status updates, no contact at all after 5 emails.  I have no idea if these things are ever even coming and its been close to a full month AFTER they've already shipped.

This is unacceptable.  I guess this is what happens when you buy outside of your own country; you really have no recourse if something goes south.  I'm going to try to contact Fischer audio and see if they'll do anything because this is absolutely absurd.

I know people have said to be patient and they will come, but for all of those cases it seems like the delay was prior to shipping and that they came relatively fast afterwards.  Mine have been shipped for almost a month, so something does not seem right.

Nov 18, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #1,251 of 2,116
My FA-011 arrived 36 days after I payed them, 1 month in Russia traveling between custom and mail office, not GD-Audiobase fault.
Mail in Russia is in the 15th century, but David from Frogbeats told me that they have severe restrictions in custom.
I know it ain't easy waita lifetime for something, but now you have to live with it.
Btw mine arrived in 5 stars conditions.

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #1,252 of 2,116

Quote:
My FA-011 arrived 36 days after I payed them, 1 month in Russia traveling between custom and mail office, not GD-Audiobase fault.
Mail in Russia is in the 15th century, but David from Frogbeats told me that they have severe restrictions in custom.
I know it ain't easy waita lifetime for something, but now you have to live with it.
Btw mine arrived in 5 stars conditions.

I knew the approximate wait time when I ordered them and I know that can mostly be attributed to the Russian post.  My issue is the complete lack of customer service from GD Audio Base, which IS entirely their fault.  

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #1,254 of 2,116

Quote:
I'm still waiting for in-depth comparisons between FA-011 and DT990 and/or D2000 :)

I have them. This won't be in depth, but at least a snap shot of the idea.

The FA-011 has a smoother, warmer sounding musical signature than both those headphones. It's less bassy than the DT990 and has smooth laid-back treble by comparison. The FA-011 is not bright. The FA-011 doesn't have the sub bass of the D2000 nor impact, but has less bright treble. The DT990 and D2000 are more alike in the treble. I like the FA-011 over the DT990 for the overall sound. The FA-011 doesn't however drop low sub bass notes very strongly, it's not as bassy as some would make it out, it's not a huge mid-bass hump, and it's sub bass is not pronounced or even flat. But it's a good sound, not faulting it, it's actually a natural good sound that I would call a warmer neutral (not bassy). The D2000 is different completely though, being closed, having much stronger impact and sub-bass and a brighter sound in general. By the way, you can cover the grills of the FA-011 and it doesn't effect the sound hardly at all--which is interesting, it says to me, this headphone could be converted to be a closed back, and it would work out. Not sure why that is, but I tried it a few times. Just cover the grills with your hands and the sound is still there, still has bass, still sounds great, dunno how they did that, and dunno why they made it open back if it's actually not sounding like it when I do that. Odd. But there you have it.

By the way guys, I bought mine from GD AudioBase too. It took about 6~7 weeks total time to ship to me. But they did arrive well packaged. I had tracking, but it didn't update after it left the Russian post. I'd buy from GD AudioBase again, but only because they're the only ones I can get the headphones from for a reasonable price/shipping price. My next set are the FA-002W's for sure.

Very best,

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #1,255 of 2,116
So it sounds like a DT880, only it might be less detailed and crisp.  Man the opinions on head-fi are so differing.  One guy said the FA-011 had even more bass than the D2000, and your short comparison of them a while back had them having more bass than the DT990.

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #1,256 of 2,116
MalVeauX or anyone,

How is the synergy with the FA-011 and tube amplification vs soild state? I hated the DT 990's  when I first heard them through my M-Stage, then I tried them with my  Bellari 540 and they are one of my favorite sets now. I am about 6 weeks in so the FA's should be here soon.....

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #1,257 of 2,116

Quote:
One guy said the FA-011 had even more bass than the D2000

That guy probably doesn't have the headphones. I have them all and just did a A, B, C to compare. The FA-011 definitely has less sub bass than both the DT990 and the D2000, the DT990 has the most mid-bass, the D2000 has the most sub-bass. The FA-011 has the smoother treble. The FA-011 is a mellow headphone to listen to by comparison to the DT990 and D2000.

Very best,

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #1,258 of 2,116

Quote:
MalVeauX or anyone,

How is the synergy with the FA-011 and tube amplification vs soild state? I hated the DT 990's  when I first heard them through my M-Stage, then I tried them with my  Bellari 540 and they are one of my favorite sets now. I am about 6 weeks in so the FA's should be here soon.....

Heya,

The FA-011 is already very smooth and mellow (musical & warm). Putting them on tubes just ends up doing more of that I find. Sounds great. Roll off is wonderful. I also have them on two different solid states and they still sound great. That's the thing, the DT990 is a brighter headphone. So when you put the DT990 on a tube, you can get more of a roll off of tone and the brightness, depending on the tubes, diminishes a touch and you get a more musical and smooth listen. I actually prefer the sound of solid state. But tubes are definitely the "fun" way to go for a headphone that is bright or a little unforgiving with treble.

Very best,

Nov 18, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #1,259 of 2,116

Quote:
Heya,

The FA-011 is already very smooth and mellow (musical & warm). Putting them on tubes just ends up doing more of that I find. Sounds great. Roll off is wonderful. I also have them on two different solid states and they still sound great. That's the thing, the DT990 is a brighter headphone. So when you put the DT990 on a tube, you can get more of a roll off of tone and the brightness, depending on the tubes, diminishes a touch and you get a more musical and smooth listen. I actually prefer the sound of solid state. But tubes are definitely the "fun" way to go for a headphone that is bright or a little unforgiving with treble.

Very best,

Excellent point. I do use a preamp and just could not get the right levels with the 990's. I also always seem to gravitate towards my soild state amps as well. I guess I do not want to admit it but I am a bit of a basshead and the SS's do bass well. Thanks for the quick response.

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #1,260 of 2,116

Quote:
So it sounds like a DT880, only it might be less detailed and crisp.  Man the opinions on head-fi are so differing.  One guy said the FA-011 had even more bass than the D2000, and your short comparison of them a while back had them having more bass than the DT990.

Depends on your source and amping. And no the FA-011's does not sound like the DT880, the DT880 are analytical and more on the bright side with slightly more crisp detail, only the DT770 and DT990 have resemblence with the FA-011. I would pick my FA-011's over any of the DT770 and 990, except! the DT990 600ohm version when paired with for example the LD MKIV sounds that much better over my FA-011 + a modified 12AU7 tube amp. 

I've heard the D2000 once and can only say the only reason it has more bass quantity and depth is because its closed back.

@MalVeauX: Funny how you might say that you don't hear much of a difference when you close the grill's while playing music, I actually do hear slight of a difference, with the grill's unblocked the sound from the FA-011's sound airy and wider like being in a concert hall. When I block the grill's with my hands whilst playing music, the sound is more boxed in, less distance and as if you are at a local club with the booming music and sound coming from only one direction, soundstage is also bit louder. Although these don't affect the sound attributes of being closed or opened, but it does add a slight difference and impression while listening to music dealing with the sound stage only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back