REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!!
Jun 16, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #856 of 2,116
I'd have to disagree (although it may be a result of my amping) my 580's have far more impact and "feel" in the bass department.  011's go deeper but they have a bit less bass at the same volume and have less impact.  Like I said though, it may just be may amp (Xonar DG built-in amp)

Quote:
Yup.  I actually listened to LFFs 011's.  I never owned the 011 as the mids and treble weren't for me.  They absolutely slammed harder than the 580's.

I dunno, I still think rumble and impact are two different metrics.  I've heard IEMs w/ roll off around 40hz do impact very well.  You can have hard hitting impact on toms and kick drums like I said and none of those operate in the sub bass.  I think you are referring to sub bass extension, reverb and decay characteristics.

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #857 of 2,116
i just got a grado sr325. the fa-011 and the sr325 are very similar in sound, the fischer slightly more bass, the grado more highs

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #858 of 2,116
After the tissue paper mod, the headphones are comfortable for long hours. I just completed listening with them for 4hrs straight. But, there is a minor compromise in SQ. The Bass gets bit more decay and not as punchy as earlier. Mids slightly reduce their hard hitting tenacity. Can i tell that just by A/B comparison?...no..bit difficult..it is just a feeling that i get after long listening hours. Without the tissue mod, my earlobes get sore after couple of hrs of listening. 

This makes me wonder what if this headphones get a different style of pads? I measured that it is a 90mm pad..May be some pads from ebay like these can fit?

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #859 of 2,116

Quote:
I'd have to disagree (although it may be a result of my amping) my 580's have far more impact and "feel" in the bass department.  011's go deeper but they have a bit less bass at the same volume and have less impact.  Like I said though, it may just be may amp (Xonar DG built-in amp)

Same volume?  You mean you kept the same volume on the amp and swapped phones or you volume matched between both sets?  The 580 is very easy to run versus the 011 and sounds much louder than most headphones at the same gain.  I acutally believe Ultrasone on that part of their SLogic claim and almost kept them for the sake of ear health.  Technically you can run the 580 at a lower SPL and attain the same 'volume'.  My ears and an SPL meter seemed to verify this when I did a crude AB w/ my old M50.

It is possible though as I didn't have the same sources and amps I have now when I had the HFI580.  I simply don't remember being blown away by the impact as I was w/ the 011.  Oh well.  The 580 does have the better overall bass in most ways though.  I loved them for bass monitoring on drums and bass guitar.

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #860 of 2,116
There are definitely compromises with most mods so I don't doubt your experience nor what your ears are telling you.  
Get those pads and tell us your opinion, they look fairly reasonable in price.

Quote:
After the tissue paper mod, the headphones are comfortable for long hours. I just completed listening with them for 4hrs straight. But, there is a minor compromise in SQ. The Bass gets bit more decay and not as punchy as earlier. Mids slightly reduce their hard hitting tenacity. Can i tell that just by A/B comparison?...no..bit difficult..it is just a feeling that i get after long listening hours. Without the tissue mod, my earlobes get sore after couple of hrs of listening. 

This makes me wonder what if this headphones get a different style of pads? I measured that it is a 90mm pad..May be some pads from ebay like these can fit?

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #861 of 2,116
What I meant is after adjusting the volume to achieve similar listening levels.  I did tweak things a bit and turned up the volume on my soundcard (forcing it to output more power) and lowered the listening level via MediaMonkey, did bring out the bass a bit, still not the same impact (and a little bit looser/muddier) but more balanced and over-all better sounding than the 580's.

Quote:
Same volume?  You mean you kept the same volume on the amp and swapped phones or you volume matched between both sets?  The 580 is very easy to run versus the 011 and sounds much louder than most headphones at the same gain.  I acutally believe Ultrasone on that part of their SLogic claim and almost kept them for the sake of ear health.  Technically you can run the 580 at a lower SPL and attain the same 'volume'.  My ears and an SPL meter seemed to verify this when I did a crude AB w/ my old M50.

It is possible though as I didn't have the same sources and amps I have now when I had the HFI580.  I simply don't remember being blown away by the impact as I was w/ the 011.  Oh well.  The 580 does have the better overall bass in most ways though.  I loved them for bass monitoring on drums and bass guitar.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #862 of 2,116
Placed the order at gd-audiobase on 5/24, paid right away. Item was shipped on 5/28, delivered in CA on 6/7 but I missed the package before going out of town for a week. Picked up the phones yesterday.

Box was okay with no damage. The packaging from FA is dirt cheap, the pads were damaged - looks like it could easily be from the cardboard the phones were attached to. The wood is way darker than the picture and I do like the red one better. Somehow the darker wood looks cheaper. The metal part with FA logo... hmm... how do I put it. I wouldn't even consider this acceptable for a free marketing item of a product I sell. I really don't get how difficult it could be to put a symmetry line on this piece of metal and why FA decided to use the defects. They can't be that expensive that FA can't afford throwing out bad batch and produce another batch. And if they order it from their vendor, I'd say RMA those defects and ask for replacement. 

I let the picture speaks for itself. Well, actually, it does look a lot better in pictures than in real life. The metal piece has some discoloration that doesn't show very well in the picture due to the flash.

Uneven engravement and yup, it's as close to black as red wood can get :frowning2:

Damaged pad.

From amateur point of view (I'm not an expert at all) :
Sound quality is pretty good out of the box with no burning time. Treble was pretty harsh. It settled down a bit after the first hour of burn in but not enough for some songs so I adjusted the EQ down. Bass is great, no complain there. I'm sure it'll be much better with adequate power boost.
I have to turn the volume all the way almost to the max on iTunes on my macbook. Still looking for a decent amp that won't cost an arm and a leg. One thing that I'm still battling with is the fact that my husband can hear my music very clearly when he's in front of tv and I'm working on my desk listening to this baby. I might have to choose between these phones or him sooner or later. LOL.

Jun 18, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #863 of 2,116
I'm considering getting these headphones. Sound pretty good, probably more geared towards noncompetitive gaming and movies from what I've read, yes?

Comfort and the recommended use of an amp for these phones is kind of keeping me from getting these though. I suppose the comfort can be fixed somehow...

How do these stack up compared to the ATH-AD700s and the Superflux HD668B? I'm talking about bass and soundstage mostly. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #864 of 2,116
I believe they match the ATH AD700 in sound stage.  Actually, they have better spacing due to better distancing than the very wide stage ad700.  They give you a great atmosphere for movies and single player though not too bad for multiplayer.  I only say that because I prefer less bass for multi but I've been rocking to just music with these while playing online and it gets me in the zone.  Sound whoring is good and all but sometimes just needs to take a step back to game enjoyment.  =P  I'm using it with the Digizoid "Zo" and it can power these hungry suckers pretty good =D  

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #865 of 2,116
I use them for Black Ops and Gears of War.  Soundstaging is excellent and positions of sounds are revealed accurately.  Explosions sound realistic in comparison to other headphones I've tried.  All of this may vary with the receiver one uses as well.  For movies, I find them to very detailed, though with my receiver there isn't a lot of bass provided because it is kind of whimpy.  Of course there is comfort issues, but I'm the kind of person that may wear headphones for an hour, walk around do other things then come back.  Wearing for 3-4 hours can cause discomfort.  

Quote:
I'm considering getting these headphones. Sound pretty good, probably more geared towards noncompetitive gaming and movies from what I've read, yes?

Comfort and the recommended use of an amp for these phones is kind of keeping me from getting these though. I suppose the comfort can be fixed somehow...

How do these stack up compared to the ATH-AD700s and the Superflux HD668B? I'm talking about bass and soundstage mostly. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #866 of 2,116
Hmm, thanks for the replies. That sounds interesting. I was mostly talking about single player campaigns though... Though GoW has good sound production. Anyways, if I was to get the Fischers, I wouldn't be able to amp them, at least not immediately. And if I was to get one, I would most likely get an Astro Mixamp due to some of the features that it brings. Now, as I understand it, its not exactly the best for amping... So, can anyone tell me how well the Fischers perform without an amp compared to with an amp, and how well they would do on a MixAmp? 

Quote:
I believe they match the ATH AD700 in sound stage.  Actually, they have better spacing due to better distancing than the very wide stage ad700.  They give you a great atmosphere for movies and single player though not too bad for multiplayer.  I only say that because I prefer less bass for multi but I've been rocking to just music with these while playing online and it gets me in the zone.  Sound whoring is good and all but sometimes just needs to take a step back to game enjoyment.  =P  I'm using it with the Digizoid "Zo" and it can power these hungry suckers pretty good =D  

You got it all wrong, sound plays a large role in game enjoyment. Sound plays probably the largest factor in adding that sense of immersiveness and atmosphere. Can't imagine playing games like Dead Space, BFBC2, and STALKER with low volume or something like that. Sound whoring is the way to go, its vital for game enjoyment. Really looking forward to getting a good pair of headphones so I can really bring out the sound in these games. Though, of course, I would also use them for music, movies and trying to kick ass in Black Ops.

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #867 of 2,116
imot - the damage to the pads is definitely caused by the cheap packaging. When the phones sit in the cardboard cut-out inside the box, the pads touch cardboard near the bottom and during shipping, the pleather is abrased and damaged. Contact GD-Audiobase to have Fischer ship you new pads. Or I just PM'd Marine Pilot on Head-Fi.

Jun 18, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #868 of 2,116

Quote:
imot - the damage to the pads is definitely caused by the cheap packaging. When the phones sit in the cardboard cut-out inside the box, the pads touch cardboard near the bottom and during shipping, the pleather is abrased and damaged. Contact GD-Audiobase to have Fischer ship you new pads. Or I just PM'd Marine Pilot on Head-Fi.

rymd,
Thanks for your reply. I just PMed Marine Pilot regarding the pads and the metal pieces. Hopefully they can get Fischer to send me replacement for those 2 parts.
Hope FA'd realize that I can't offer free marketing service for their product if it doesn't look well built or QC approved. Now back to 
L3000.gif

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #869 of 2,116
I didn't know my own opinion could be wrong lmao.  Single player I listen with my speakers so no need for headphones for the most part.  So I do agree I love the atmosphere when playing a campaign.  Especially how my body rumbles from the low bass from the ship in Mass Effect 2  omgwtfbbasaaaauce!!!

If you like to sound whore that's good and all and up to you.  I used to and still do from time to time when I'm not listening to music.  The thing is I'm versatile enough to not need  it.  If the other team is ninja-pro whoring then I'll put my ninja class on while still listening to music.  Relying all on the sound are like those people who rely on the radar.  It turns you one dimensional and easy picking for me.  Or even worse, someone who sound whores & looks @ the baby monitor the whole game.  Maybe it's because I don't get paid to play professionally so isn't my priority in multiplayer o_O;  Though I will agree that you will play better that way but I'm not that serious lol

Just my opinion 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
You got it all wrong, sound plays a large role in game enjoyment. Sound whoring is the way to go, its vital for game enjoyment.

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #870 of 2,116
lol, didn't mean to say you were wrong like "your wrong," more like a joking your wrong... 
blink.gif
Dont know if that made any sense. Point is it wasn't meant to be serious! Shoulda added a smiley on that post... 
tongue_smile.gif

Any ideas how good these are with an Astro Mixamp? and can you compare the sound quality with and without an amp?

Edit: hmm, now that I think about it, sound whoring is something I rarely do. I was thinking of sound whoring as in really appreciating the sound and its immersiveness. This applies to single player games, but in multiplayer, seems its just another way of camping! Don't do it much competitively then... but I have done it on occasion whenever I'm just... camping? yep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back