Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Feb 19, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #931 of 3,047
Agree.  Remember, take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I'm running straight from a Cowon S9- 320kbps only for what I report here.  The long process of re-ripping my cd collection to 320 has begun.  Should be done in a year!

Side by side versus the SRH840, I'd take the FA-003, no contest.  And that's initial impressions.  It can't get worse!

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #932 of 3,047

Quote:
Agree.  Remember, take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I'm running straight from a Cowon S9- 320kbps only for what I report here.  The long process of re-ripping my cd collection to 320 has begun.  Should be done in a year!

Side by side versus the SRH840, I'd take the FA-003, no contest.  And that's initial impressions.  It can't get worse!

Littledreamer, did you ever own the Sennheiser HD600?
If so, how would it compare?

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #934 of 3,047
Quote:
The highs are ever more slightly present in the stock cups than the woodies. If it sounds harsh, it's most likely the recording.

I can assure you that's not the case. Well recorded wav files, or low rate mp3s, it doesn't make a difference. The highs are definitely (if only slightly) more forward than what I'd consider 'neutral'. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #935 of 3,047
I think he meant the actual recordings, not the bitrate.  I find that to be true.  Again, it's really controllable, and better to be too sharp than not enough, you can take away but not create sound, and it's a fine line.

As for my FA-003's, wow!  I burned them all day, so they are now at 15 hours.  The bass is tightening up, and becoming more impactful.  The highs are smoothing out, for sure.  I can't believe that it would not be noticed.  It's gorgeous.  I really notice a difference in the deep bass compared to fresh out of the box.  The bass drum just smacks you right in the face now!  

I'm just so happy.  This is a big investment for me, hard to justify new headphones with 2 little kids!  I needed to be right, and I am sure I am.

One note, on my Cowon I previously used the feature "3d surround" at 1 on a 10 scale.  It would just tidy up the soundstage a bit more to my liking.  On these, it is already perfect, and having the setting at 1 creates a bit off mushing in all of the instruments.  Leaving it off allows more breathing room, and the soundstage is great, but the imaging is spectacular.  I LOVE instrument separation!

I was just listening to Avenged Sevenfold's So Far Away, and the steel guitars at the beginning sound way away from the ears, creating quite the 3d effect.  WOW!  And, the cans are clearly improving in the burn-in process.  And, perfect comfort still.  That is on my massive head, wearing glasses.  Super isolation as well.  Can't really hear anything.  

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #936 of 3,047
Maybe my post was unclear, but yes, I was talking about good vs bad recordings, in addition to high and low bit rates. Even with well recorded music on wav, the highs are still forward and slightly harsh to my ears. From what I've experienced, using a variety of music with both the headphone out of my computer and lineout through my mini3, the forward highs are simply a part of the FA-003's sound signature. Sorry folks, but it's simply not neutral to my ears. It does sound very natural, but that's a different story....

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #937 of 3,047
I tend to notice harsh treble as symptomatic of more modern compressed recordings.  This may or may not be the case w/ what you are experiencing. If you have high quality stuff from the 80s thats clean and it sounds fine in the treble compared to post 90's stuff then there you go.  Otherwise if its a universal phenomena it's either the phones, source or other parts in the chain.  Transparent gear really does a number on my more modern popular content.  This may or may not apply to you.  Heh, neutral/natural.  Pandoras box.  
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #938 of 3,047
I have to say I've been using the FA-003 today for about 4 hours solid. Been choosing new genres of music I just wouldn't listen to before since the FA-003 just bring an excitement and engagement that's so wow. 

So I bought "Classic Meets Cuba Live", Beginners Guide to Cuba, Steely Dan, Isla - Portico Quartet and  Chamber Music Society -Esperanza Spalding . I listened to the tracks first in iTunes and then went to elsewhere to buy the CDs. The fun and quality factor is stunning.

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #939 of 3,047
The fa-002w's are definitely adding a bit of sibilance around 9/10kHz to recordings that previously didn't have any on my former closed cans. At the same time I don't detect any in 2-4Khz where I previously used to hear in some closed cans. It gives it a somewhat digital sound as opposed to an an analogue one often found in closed cans due to there darker prensentation. I suppose it defintely helps it identify itself more readily from other closed cans but I'm finding it to be a bit of a double-edged sword.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #942 of 3,047
Thanks. I just ordered the entry level Beech 5 step - was wondering if you had the same cans. Side bar, how long did it take between order and arrival?

Mike

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #944 of 3,047
I have the same ones. Took 10 days to arrive at customs in my country.  19 days in total.  I think the 10 days is more accurate, as my country, Canada, moves very slow once in customs to be cleared...

Communic, what's your slight mod?

Quote:
Thanks. I just ordered the entry level Beech 5 step - was wondering if you had the same cans. Side bar, how long did it take between order and arrival?

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back