Review: Fischer Audio FA-003 - a neutral champ!
Feb 19, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #917 of 3,047
I ordered mine 10 days ago. Waiting is hard. From what I read I should have them though within the next 10 days.

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #918 of 3,047
Nice! My J3 powers them fully as well but its sucks the battery out, throw in an amp for the battery. Also you may be pleasantly surprised by the effect an amp will have on the FA. I have an Ibasso T3, it did just a little bit extra to make the FA's a 9.5/10 from a 9/10. I haven't had any sibilance issues, but I was using Pianist's burnt in FA's so that may be why. I'm getting my new pair on Monday so maybe I'll experience sibilance issues then. 

Post more impressions of the wood cups when you get the chance!

Quote:

My Cowon S9 seems to power the Fischers' fully, for my ears at least.  

Lastly, for out-of-the-box, the treble seems a bit sibilant, and the bass loose.  There is plenty of both, but I look forward to the burn-in process which should dramatically reign them both in, and widen the soundstage(which I find hard to believe!)  

The case is great for storage and travel.  It came with FA-003 cups, as expected, which are very nice.

The wood is just stellar, and mine are the cheapest version available.  Wow!

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #919 of 3,047
Quote:
Nice! My J3 powers them fully as well but its sucks the battery out, throw in an amp for the battery. Also you may be pleasantly surprised by the effect an amp will have on the FA. I have an Ibasso T3, it did just a little bit extra to make the FA's a 9.5/10 from a 9/10. I haven't had any sibilance issues, but I was using Pianist's burnt in FA's so that may be why. I'm getting my new pair on Monday so maybe I'll experience sibilance issues then. 

Post more impressions of the wood cups when you get the chance!

Cowon J3 doesn't have a line out. Are you suggesting people to double amp???? No positive effects on sound. only negative from double amping

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #920 of 3,047
dfkt has done tests to show that if you put the volume of your cowon at max and use the HO it is as good as an LO. Besides I'm not using it to improve the sound, I'm doing it to improve battery life and provide more juice to the headphones. The improved sound was an unexpected (ye positive) side effect. 

Quote:
Cowon J3 doesn't have a line out. Are you suggesting people to double amp???? No positive effects on sound. only negative from double amping

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #922 of 3,047
Email Dmitry with problem, he should be able to offer you an alternative like paypal but it will cost slightly more. I had no problems with Moneybookers and if anything it was very secure. Your problem might relate to the fact cookies are disabled, or you have private browsing enabled or some anti spyware preventing logging of your mac code for security.

Quote:
Well, I give up on trying to order from gd_audiobase.  I tried to order three times and every time got stuck at the moneybookers screen.  I never received the text message with the verification code.  I even created a moneybookers account on their site and still couldn't get through the order on gd_audiobase.  I guess I will have to hope for gd_audiobase to put some fa-003s or fa-002ws on Ebay or hopefully change their checkout options on the site soon.  
frown.gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #923 of 3,047

Quote:
Yes, I too suspect my source, but I stated that as someone earlier in the thread mentioned similar, which changed at the 50 & 120 hour burn in marks...Like I said, any sonic review in the first hours of a headphone are a waste of time. 

As for the query re: brokerage fees in Canada, no. None!  Nice.  Did have to pay HST(Prov & Fed Tax), $23.  They just sit in customs for days and days.  

Wait til you have had over a weeks burn in. Then after a months use, reflect again :) 

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #924 of 3,047
I went into my local HMV store in Plymouth, UK. Normally, HMV is so expensive compared to everywhere, but today it was remarkably not. Scanning the barcodes on the iPhone app showed their prices were competitive. So I ended up with a range of new albums from Aerosmith to Sugarland to Clubland 18 to Jazz and Swing. And far too many more to mention :)

Now here's the amazing part. Aerosmith sounded just as amazing as Clubland 18. I have a pair of Sony MDR-XB700 whose main feature is the Xtra Bass down to 3hz. Well the FA-003 pissed all over them even with the dance music. In fact the Sony's sounded so dreadful you would think there was something majorly wrong with them, and yet a few months ago I couldnt fault them.

These FA-003 just amaze me with the dynamics.

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #925 of 3,047
Stock FA-003 does have treble harshness issues even when fully burned in (but not sibilance). There is a noticeable peak somewhere between 10-12 kHz that can cause the highs to sound edgy with some music and sources. I solve this problem by wearing the 'phones in such a way so that the earpads cover a part of my ears. That helps absorb some treble energy and evens out the highs for me.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #927 of 3,047
If you don't mind answering, how old are you guys? I'm 29 and I too notice the harsh treble. Also, it seems like the high end is forward relative to the bass, making the bass seem slightly recessed. And yes, they've been burned in over 100 hours.

I'm curious about age because it seems like the FA-003 would sound perfectly balanced for a person with slight hearing loss in the upper frequencies, ie, older people :p

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #928 of 3,047

Quote:
Email Dmitry with problem, he should be able to offer you an alternative like paypal but it will cost slightly more. I had no problems with Moneybookers and if anything it was very secure. Your problem might relate to the fact cookies are disabled, or you have private browsing enabled or some anti spyware preventing logging of your mac code for security.

I emailed Dmitry and he responded quickly but no mention of an alternative payment method.  I don't what it is with moneybookers, but I just cannot verify my CC info with them.  Oh well, I ordered a FA-003 through Treoo.  I will probably buy some stuff from Dmitry once he offers more payment options.

Anyone else ordered from Treoo and had it shipped to the US?  If so, how long did it take?

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #929 of 3,047
I'm 40.  I agree the high notes are just a bit harsh, and it's likely not sibilance.  My inexperience.
It's nothing that I don't mind though, it's easy to reign it in a bit, a little eq.  I'd much rather have too much versus not enough.

Also to report, I listened to them for 2.5 hours last night, and they were perfect in the comfort department.  As for sound, very impressed, but really too early to report as I said.  The wood cups are beautiful, though!  

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #930 of 3,047
The highs are ever more slightly present in the stock cups than the woodies. If it sounds harsh, it's most likely the recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back