Review: Fiio E12 (comparison to C&C BH + JDS Labs O2 + JDS Labs C421)
Mar 16, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #122 of 233
I'm actually keeping it off now, since most of my music (except for The Beatles) doesn't really benefit from it.

Recently recorded songs seem to have crossfeed already built-in.

I'll have the chance to do a direct comparison to O2 next week, so I'll know how that fares.

But from what I can remember of O2, I don't think it beats E12 at instrument separation or soundstage. If anything, E12 has O2 beat in power output.

The O2 won't drive planars.

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #124 of 233
O2 does drive planars.

Just not to full volume or full potential.

By that loose definition, then a computer headphone port or an iPhone drives them. Although the O2 won't drive them as poorly as THAT, it nonetheless drives them inadequately.

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #125 of 233
Quote:
By that loose definition, then a computer headphone port or an iPhone drives them. Although the O2 won't drive them as poorly as THAT, it nonetheless drives them inadequately.

Yes, precisely. You can take that up to the objective crowd and ask them if they think something as silly as a Fiio E6 would "drive" planars...

I agree, though, that O2 is not adequate to drive some planars.

But it's not like I'm saying planars sound awesome out of O2 or anything like that. I'm just saying... O2 does a better job of driving some planars than E12. (on a pure power output basis)

Edit: and just in terms of sound, I have heard some other amps that are far better at detail-retrieving than O2... and they are at far smaller sizes as well, though they may not be adequate enough to drive planars.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #126 of 233
Yes, precisely. You can take that up to the objective crowd and ask them if they think something as silly as a Fiio E6 would "drive" planars...

I agree, though, that O2 is not adequate to drive some planars.

But it's not like I'm saying planars sound awesome out of O2 or anything like that. I'm just saying... O2 does a better job of driving some planars than E12. (on a pure power output basis)

Edit: and just in terms of sound, I have heard some other amps that are far better at detail-retrieving than O2... and they are at far smaller sizes as well, though they may not be adequate enough to drive planars.

Do you think the E12 can drive Mad Dogs?

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #127 of 233

The Objective crowd will tell you "Science Wills It!"
"SCIENCE WILLS IT!"

BTW, curious here, whar other little amps give you more detail retrieval than the O'?

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #128 of 233
Quote:
Do you think the E12 can drive Mad Dogs?

In terms of loudness, yes.

In terms of overall sound... my opinion says no.

I know because I plugged the Mad Dog into the E12 at the SF Bay Area meet. I didn't like the sound coming from the E12. Neither did I like it coming from O2. I think you'll want something else for the Mad Dog. Dan had a Schiit Magni at the meet, and I think the Magni is the bare minimum that I'd consider for the Mad Dog. It's not that they are power hungry, but it seems they would benefit more from an amp that has "good sound".

Quote:
The Objective crowd will tell you "Science Wills It!"
"SCIENCE WILLS IT!"

BTW, curious here, whar other little amps give you more detail retrieval than the O'?

I think you may want to check out the Leckerton UHA-6S Mk.II.

And here are some measurements if you need ammo:
http://scientistsaudio.blogspot.com/2012/06/leckerton-uha-6smkii-part-2.html
beerchug.gif

Edit: and by the way, in case anyone is wondering: yes, the UHA-6S Mk.II is also better than E12 to me. But then the comparison is skewered... because the UHA-6S is about $150 more than the E12 (price without tax).

And let's not turn this into an O2 vs the world thread. Though I'm sure we all know what the result would be. 
biggrin.gif
 (hint: we don't "hear" with measurements)

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #130 of 233
Quote:
Hi, I  just ordered the Audio Technica ad900x with the Fiio e12. I'm excited to see how that combination works together. The only negative is that the portable device I am using is a Zune 120, which can only interface through the headphone out.

its not correct since zune hdd models have line out and im actually using a unit zune 30gb with line out adaptor

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #131 of 233
Luv, did you visit Fiio online store? i saw it there and you can also email them and preorder if i am not mistaken. i tried Fiio site now but its too slow loading.

if i am not mistaken you find E12 product, click on it and there must be something like Buy or Order button. do not know for USA but for Europe i found this way.

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #134 of 233
Quote:

I'm wondering the same thing... I have a pair of dt770/80ohm headphones that I mainly drive from my iphone (4s) and macbook pro.  I know I need to get an amp of some kind - is the fiio e12 the one to go for?  Is it worth the money? Ta for any advice :D

I'm loving my E12 (version 1) w/ my DT770 LE. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back