[REVIEW] Etymotic ER4P / ER4S - The Living Legends
Aug 18, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #46 of 122
I have been using the same pair of ER4S for the past 13 years. I just recently cracked the right ear tip post while changing an ear tip. I didn't hesitate to return for repair. I was charged a $50 fee for the repair, but I received a completely new pair of ER4S IEM.

To be honest I was disappointed with the sound of the new ER4S, but after a leaving them burn in for 24 hours the brightness disappeared and they began to sound like my original pair from 1997.

I would agree the ER4S are a legend and will remain as one of my favorite IEMs. Also the team over at Etymotic were quick in handling my repair. I'm sure I will get another 13 years of sonic enjoyment from this pair.

Aug 19, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #47 of 122

Quote:
I have been using the same pair of ER4S for the past 13 years. I just recently cracked the right ear tip post while changing an ear tip. I didn't hesitate to return for repair. I was charged a $50 fee for the repair, but I received a completely new pair of ER4S IEM.

To be honest I was disappointed with the sound of the new ER4S, but after a leaving them burn in for 24 hours the brightness disappeared and they began to sound like my original pair from 1997.

I would agree the ER4S are a legend and will remain as one of my favorite IEMs. Also the team over at Etymotic were quick in handling my repair. I'm sure I will get another 13 years of sonic enjoyment from this pair.

That is a great story! Service like that also makes them true legends. 

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #48 of 122
Don't forget: the P was originally desgined to work with player only.  No amplification needed.  The "S" was to be used with an amp. Therefore, the P is much more efficient.

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #49 of 122
... not for 13 years, but I've had mine for about 5 years and intend to keep it, even as others have come and gone. Those who are curious about the difference between P and S can use the P-to-S cable, and go back and forth between amped ER4S and ER4P unamped or unamped. It took a few tries but I also found tips I like - I can now comfortably wear them for about six hours at a time.

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #50 of 122
I'm starting to get the impression that these (ER4S) get overwhelmed with more complex music (more instruments/layers)...does that seem accurate?  I'm sure my amping plays a part (Fiio E5 + portable CD player or unamped ipod), but I'm wondering if that's an amping issue or a single BA issue? 

With a better amp, when the music starts to get busy, do these make sense of each instrument and layer or is there a "wall of sound?"  It seems that instruments become less defined and become harder to follow after a certain point..

I'm trying to decide if I should stay with these + upgrade amp or just go for the CK10s...

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #53 of 122
I've been listening to Pink Martini's "Amado Mio," and I don't know how I would be able to pin point it as a single driver issue specifically.  The soundstage is narrower than I'm use to (K701s), so the instruments during the first verse seem to me to be on top of each other.  With the K701s and this set up (E5 + ipod), the instruments are separated and have breathing room, with the er4s it's more tangled and doesn't have the room to expand.

I suppose it could just be a smaller sound stage issue?  Is this something a better amp would expand? 

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #54 of 122

Quote:
I've been listening to Pink Martini's "Amado Mio," and I don't know how I would be able to pin point it as a single driver issue specifically.  The soundstage is narrower than I'm use to (K701s), so the instruments during the first verse seem to me to be on top of each other.  With the K701s and this set up (E5 + ipod), the instruments are separated and have breathing room, with the er4s it's more tangled and doesn't have the room to expand.

I suppose it could just be a smaller sound stage issue?  Is this something a better amp would expand? 

Well IEMs generally have a smaller soundstage than any other form of equipment; especially open backed full sized headphones.
I had the ER4P/Ss at the same time as K702s so I can go back to direct memory on this one.

The ER4Ss were driven by the same amp as the K702s: the iBasso PB1 which puts out a LOT of power. Overall the ER4s sounded more enclosed in terms of soundstage; between detail the ER4s held up to the K702s though because of it's treble emphasis.

Aug 20, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #55 of 122

Quote:
Don't forget: the P was originally desgined to work with player only.  No amplification needed.  The "S" was to be used with an amp. Therefore, the P is much more efficient.

Definitely. From side by side with and without amplication, the Ps sounded better for "on the run" usage. Detail was there and the bass was more prominent but the mids were a little lacking; perfect for just using in the car or walking between places. You get the "meat" of the music that sounded great. 

When sitting down or in the library however and you want "all" of the music and wanted it delivered better overall, an amped S model delivers. 

Aug 20, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #56 of 122
Almost all headphones are single driver and many speakers, so the idea that a single driver can't handle complex music is nonesense. Properly amped, the Etys have no trouble reproducing a full symphony in action. 

Aug 20, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #57 of 122

Quote:
Almost all headphones are single driver and many speakers, so the idea that a single driver can't handle complex music is nonesense. Properly amped, the Etys have no trouble reproducing a full symphony in action. 

Yes but those drivers are much larger.This is not saying that I don't agree that ER4 can perform their classic magic.

etysmile.gif

Aug 21, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #59 of 122

Quote:
Yes but those drivers are much larger.This is not saying that I don't agree that ER4 can perform their classic magic.

etysmile.gif

That is true. The Ety's are very, very small and they cannot move that much air at all sadly; the result is a very detailed IEM that has a very airy and accurate but lacks "power" that other phones have. Is this a bad thing? Not neccesarily. 

Aug 21, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #60 of 122
What does size have to do with it? You're not filling a whole room with air or pushing air from outside of your ear, you're pushing a very tiny amount of air since they are in your ear and isolating the outside sound. If you don't use an amp, then that's a different problem which has nothing to do with the number of drivers.  

I listen to PFEs as well with an amp, and they handle anything that I throw at them with 1 tiny driver right next to the ear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back