[REVIEW] Etymotic ER4P / ER4S - The Living Legends
Aug 14, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #31 of 122
Or earwax. JK

I had the opposite deal. I had them 6 years ago, sold them for more bassy phones. Went to the Atrio M5s, in fact (way too much bass as it turned out). Went through dozens of IEMs, found ones I like, the DBAs, but decided to give the Etys another shot. Got the 4Ps and an impedance adapter, and now they sound great. Bass is balanced, detailed, but with an amp and a good source, they sound great. Oh well.

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #33 of 122

I Quote:
I started with an Etymotic earphone in the ER6i and it brought me into this world. I may one day own an ER4 but as of now that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Me:

I need to tell you you need to try one of the ER-4 models.  They are MUCH better than the 6.  Amazingly so.

While they may not be the best IEM, and I own about 8 different models, I keep going back to them.

The amazingly inexpensive HF2 is also VERY good, and has an iPhone mic.  Not a bad compromise!

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #34 of 122
Great review.
etysmile.gif

I started with the ER6 and later bought the ER4P. I have a XM5 which has the 75 Ohm feature and with bass boost, bass light music comes alive with excellent detail. Still a keeper for me.

Aug 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #35 of 122
Fantastic review! Thanks - a pleasure to read while listening to the ER-4S. 

Which portable amplifiers do you think has the best synergy with the ER-4S?

Aug 17, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #36 of 122
@Head-Case: I have enough universals and won't be using universals much soon anyway. Buying an ER4P/S wouldn't be the smartest move right now.

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #37 of 122
I generally like my amp to be as neutral as possible, so my current 3MOVE fits me pretty well and it certainly drive ER4S better than any other amp I have (except perhaps my FireStone Little Country OTL, which is hybrid tube, but it doesn't see much action lately as I don't do a lot of listening in stationary). I am hoping to get the new StepDance with active balanced ground from Dr. Meier when it launches. That'll be somehting to look forward to.

Quote:
Which portable amplifiers do you think has the best synergy with the ER-4S?

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #38 of 122
Amazing review ClieOS. More of a tribute to the legendary Etymotics.  Hopefully I will come across them in the future. Cant afford to spend a single penny after buying the TF10.

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #39 of 122
Seems like a stupid question given the wire adapter, but does the ER4S and ER4P run the same driver?  Or does the ER4P us a very similar sounding driver and uses the adapter to operate like the ER4S?  I've never really seen anyone confirm or deny this before.  Is an ER4P + adapter = ER4S or simply very much like an ER4S?

I know you've mentioned (I think it was you) the UM2 running the same driver as the ER4P plus an added bass driver.  Would this make the UM2 a better buy or simply a different option for folks who might want more low end?

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #41 of 122

Quote:
Same driver.  Thats it.  Resistor is only difference technically.

The only thing is I've never seen this confirmed in any way.  It seems logical if all it takes is an adapter to turn a P into a S version, but I'm also curious if it may also be two similar drivers with one just built for lower ohm use.  I could see that too.  As far as I'm aware, I've only seen threads covering an openned ER4P.  I don't think anyone's actually openned up a S version to verify.

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #42 of 122
I have read it verifed by Ety in posted emails and phone conversations.  I'm not gonna track down the posts though.  Couple that w/ the logic of saving manufacturing costs and the history of the 'P' being developed for the DAP boom by simply pulling the resistor makes sense.  All this evidence taken together along w/ the fact that there is simply no good reason I can see to have a different P driver just works for me.  If you like I'll ask an Ety tech for you this January when I see them.  Then again, would we still 'really know'?  I mean are you sure you are really awake right now?  Or is this just part of a long dream?  Or someone else's dream?

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #43 of 122
I have read posts by Don Wilson (inventor of ER4) on this issue in the forum a few years back and he had confirmed it. Though I can't remember which thread it is but it sure has been buried by tons of thread now.

I also saw picture of opened ER4B, S, and P on erji.net before, done by a company that does remolding. The driver is the same on all three models, only the pod are different. In fact the BA is a very very old model Knowles which they still manufacture. On extra note, it is the treble driver in UM2.

Quote:
The only thing is I've never seen this confirmed in any way.  It seems logical if all it takes is an adapter to turn a P into a S version, but I'm also curious if it may also be two similar drivers with one just built for lower ohm use.  I could see that too.  As far as I'm aware, I've only seen threads covering an openned ER4P.  I don't think anyone's actually openned up a S version to verify

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #44 of 122

Quote:
On extra note, it is the treble driver in UM2.

Now thats interesting.  Do they sound that similar in the upper reaches?

Aug 17, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #45 of 122
Not even close, unfortunately. If there is some thing to note about UM2 upper frequency, it will be smoothness and roll-off. Just show you how different tuning can change the character of the same BA driver.

Quote:
Now thats interesting.  Do they sound that similar in the upper reaches?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back