[REVIEW] Etymotic ER4P / ER4S - The Living Legends
Aug 12, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #16 of 122
I've been loving my er4p from the moment i got them, I adore the razor sharp detail in fact i just cannot get enough of them so i guess you could say i'm an ety fan, i could listen to these all day as i just love the sound.
However up until today i had never heard the er4s, always wanted to but just never got round to it plus i was always a bit put off by the fact that if i wanted to use them when i was out i'd need an amp.
Yesterday i thought oh lets just try them, so i ordered the er424 cable for my 4p and went back to listening to them wondering how on earth a small connector could make these even more razor sharp.
Well i got the cable today and i cannot believe how it has transformed them.
I never thought i would EVER think the er4p was muddy but the er4s really does take the sound into another dimension, I seriously have never ever heard anything quite as beautiful as these full size or iem wise period.
Talk about control in every aspect of the sound spectrum,The bass is so so so rich, the mids are liquid to the point of them running through my fingers and the highs, OMG! the highs are so smooth and the detail is just unreal, seriously unreal, Talk about eargasm i keep losing myself in the music time and time again in fact everything you could argue that is wrong with the 4p like the bass being light (Although not imo) is all fixed with the s.
How quickly my westone 2 has been dethroned as my perfect iem, Nothing has given my ears and my music loving soul such beauty, And to top it all off my walkman drives these fine as well but i now dare not ever take them with me again lol.
These things are better than sex.

Aug 12, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #19 of 122
Agree on the S/75 ohm addition. As I noted in another thread, the ER4S (after adapter) is a phone that just amazes me. Having said that, I still find the DBAs a little more warm (right word?) but with excellent detail, so both are staying right here. I was going to sell my DBA backup pair now that the Etys are here, but decided no rush. The unreal part is I spent $260 for the DBAs and Etys combined (used ER4P), and you can't touch that value. I don't miss any of the "top tier" IEMs I have heard in the past, not even close.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #24 of 122
Considering number of people recruited by the ER4 series over the years, it's easily the most popular gateway hi-fi IEM on earth. However, the only problem lies in that a significant portion of those people also decide not to move away from it. Talk about details addicted!  -_-'

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #25 of 122

Quote:
Considering number of people recruited by the ER4 series over the years, it's easily the most popular gateway hi-fi IEM on earth. However, the only problem lies in that a significant portion of those people also decide not to move away from it. Talk about details addicted!  -_-'

Interesting point.  Don't forget the crazies that come back to them.  Uhum.

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #26 of 122
I started with an Etymotic earphone in the ER6i and it brought me into this world. I may one day own an ER4 but as of now that isn't going to happen anytime soon. I suspect the DBA-02 to be pretty close and unless I sell that I'm not getting the ER4. I might end up getting or trying the MC5 when they are available in the stores here. Etymotic is supposed to be setting up some kind of listening station (whatever that means..I'm hoping it means auditioning earphones) in J&R as well as B&H which are both in NYC.

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #27 of 122
This is a great review. Any longtime head-fi.org users will recall the early Etymotic ER4 reviews from "bangraman" and its funny to think not much has changed. I have had almost every IEM under the sun and the one pair that never departed from equipment list is the ER4-P/S. 

Cheers,
iDesign. 

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #29 of 122
TMI
basshead.gif

Aug 14, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #30 of 122
It's weird, I had three different pairs of ER4's and for some reason all of them sounded different (I was going from memory though). The first ones I ever had were the ER4S and I thought they were amazing. I got another pair after that but for some reason it was just too bright and thin for me. I also tried the ER4P's later and they didn't satisfy me either. Maybe it was just nostalgia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back