REVIEW: Elekit TU882 tube headphone amp (kit and assembled)
Aug 16, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #46 of 158
coredump,

Can you describe your experience with K701 and this amp?

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #47 of 158
I've used the K701 with the Zero, Compass, LittleDot III, and now the TU882. I thought the K701 was good match with the Compass and a bad match with the LittleDotIII. The TU882 improves a bit on the Compass by extending the bass and adding impact on the lower end. It's not a lot but it's noticable with the deep bass. The biggest difference is what the TU882 does with vocals. It's hard to describe but they get more lush, 3D, and life like. It's enjoyable but sometime I still prefer the Compass because I find the flatness more intimate. I guess that sounds odd but the K701 already has a rather large soundstage and spreading it out more is a mixed blessing. I need to spend more time with them. The TU882 has 3 different impediance setting and each one changes the sound a bit. I've been using low and med and I'm not sure which I like more.

I should add that I'm using the DAC in the Compass with the TU882.

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #48 of 158
Interesting comparison coredump. You get much the same effect going from a Compass to C2C amp. I was thinking of taking my Compass or C2C along to compare when I visit their factory next, or so at the very least, I'd have a family DAC to use.

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #50 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The manual says

"The signal inputs are output just as they are from the terminal. It enables another amplifier to be connected here at the same time."

The volume control does no work with the output so I'm guessing no tube sound.

If both the RCA input and priority input terminal are used at the same time the priority input wins. This is convenient since it's the easiest to disconnect.

I never thought to test more than one jack until you asked.

I've verified that you can use all three headphone jacks at the same time. I have my HD650 in the standard set to high impedance, DT770 in the mid, and AD900 in the low and I can't detect any sound quality loss in any of them. I haven't done extensive testing since I'm worried running three headphones might cause damage somehow. Oddly my Monster Turbines do affect the system. When I plug them into the med impedance jack the sound quality drops for everything. However that doesn't happen when connected to the low impedance jack.

I've also tried the MS1 and HD650 at the same time and there is no noticeable loss in sound quality.

Edit: Just tried the K701 on med and the HD650 on standard high. I couldn't detect anything on the K701 but the HD650 took just a slight hit. Hardly noticeable.

Hey Coredump, thanks a bunch for taking the time to test that out. I hope somebody will come along and give a definitive answer as to whether it is safe to run more than one set of headphones at a time (would be great for quick-swapping between headphones for comparisons).

So it sounds like this amp is not really also a pre-amp using the back rca outs. I wonder though if one of the additional front headphone outs could act as a pre-amp out? Or would they output too much juice for that?

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #51 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by runswithaliens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Coredump, thanks a bunch for taking the time to test that out. I hope somebody will come along and give a definitive answer as to whether it is safe to run more than one set of headphones at a time (would be great for quick-swapping between headphones for comparisons).

So it sounds like this amp is not really also a pre-amp using the back rca outs. I wonder though if one of the additional front headphone outs could act as a pre-amp out? Or would they output too much juice for that?

Page 10 of TU-882AS Assembly Instruction Manual
[size=medium]Connecting 2 Headphones at the same time[/size]
When you have identical headphones, you may install a headphone plug adaptor to accept different sizes of headphone plugs. You may connect the mini plug and standard plug, to match impendence. If you are not sure of the impendence level (low or mid), increase the volume level. If two headphones are not identical, there will be a differences in sound level. Please try a few times and find the best sound level.
VK

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #52 of 158
Quote:

I'd like to get 100 hours on it before I do a full review. Out of the box it sound really off with the K701. Just a few hours of burn in made it a lot better.

I'll wait for your impressions.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #53 of 158
Just finished my TU-882R amp this weekend, and I got to say its fabulous! I got the full kit, which was initially daunting, as I've never built one before. A friend, who has built many kits from various sources, complimented Elekit's high quality and attention to detail, so I felt encouraged that I could indeed build one. The build took a week of evenings. The project was very fun and it would have been sad to actually finish the amp, except that listening to it is even better! Every part fit perfectly and Elekit intentionally provides a few extra resistors, screws, washers, etc., just-in-case. Excellent quality and finish. Quality components throughout. I'm pleased.

I ran into one glitch with the right channel dying when using the rear RCA input. Found one bad soldered joint (my bad), and both channels worked fine for a little while. Right channel went out again and eventually realized I was apparently barking up the wrong tree: my headphone cable was faulty, as the right channel was also "out" on my iPod when the same phones were plugged into the iPod. Moral of the story: swap out your phones, too, if you run into problems, and don't assume they're not suspect.

As a side note, make sure the wires are twisted tight and positioned as far from the PCB as space allows to minimize hum. I repositioned them when troubleshooting the RCA jack and the hum dropped drastically.

The amp is burning in nicely. Bass is luscious. Mid range is a bit understated, and am hoping for vocals to be more detailed as burn in progresses. High end is great and in balance. Sound stage is awesome.

I'm using an iPod (Apple lossless encoding) as an input over Nyko direct iPod-to-RCA adapter, over Sennheiser HD580 phones using the 1/4" plug with high impedance setting.

Highly Recommended.

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #54 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowruby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just finished my TU-882R amp this weekend, and I got to say its fabulous! I got the full kit, which was initially daunting, as I've never built one before. A friend, who has built many kits from various sources, complimented Elekit's high quality and attention to detail, so I felt encouraged that I could indeed build one. The build took a week of evenings. The project was very fun and it would have been sad to actually finish the amp, except that listening to it is even better! Every part fit perfectly and Elekit intentionally provides a few extra resistors, screws, washers, etc., just-in-case. Excellent quality and finish. Quality components throughout. I'm pleased.

I ran into one glitch with the right channel dying when using the rear RCA input. Found one bad soldered joint (my bad), and both channels worked fine for a little while. Right channel went out again and eventually realized I was apparently barking up the wrong tree: my headphone cable was faulty, as the right channel was also "out" on my iPod when the same phones were plugged into the iPod. Moral of the story: swap out your phones, too, if you run into problems, and don't assume they're not suspect.

As a side note, make sure the wires are twisted tight and positioned as far from the PCB as space allows to minimize hum. I repositioned them when troubleshooting the RCA jack and the hum dropped drastically.

The amp is burning in nicely. Bass is luscious. Mid range is a bit understated, and am hoping for vocals to be more detailed as burn in progresses. High end is great and in balance. Sound stage is awesome.

I'm using an iPod (Apple lossless encoding) as an input over Nyko direct iPod-to-RCA adapter, over Sennheiser HD580 phones using the 1/4" plug with high impedance setting.

Highly Recommended.

Hi yellowruby
[size=small]Congrats on sucessfully finishing building your first tube headamp. It's fun, but you actally know more about this amp. I always tell my friends: the building process is fun, and the good music from Tu-882 is a bonus. Don't you agree? [/size]

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #56 of 158
They sound great! I though the HD650 was boring on my last 3 amps and it used to spend most of it's time in the drawer. Now it might be my favorite headphone. The TU882 really woke it up.

I have a few notes and stuff that I'll try to get posted later today. My first child was born last week so I haven't had much time for listening to headphones or writing reviews.
icon10.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #57 of 158
Quote:

They sound great! I though the HD650 was boring on my last 3 amps and it used to spend most of it's time in the drawer. Now it might be my favorite headphone. The TU882 really woke it up.

My first child was born last week so I haven't had much time for listening to headphones or writing reviews.
icon10.gif

[size=large]Welcome 'Em To Parenthood!! Congratulation!![/size]

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #60 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkung /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi yellowruby
[size=small]Congrats on sucessfully finishing building your first tube headamp. It's fun, but you actally know more about this amp. I always tell my friends: the building process is fun, and the good music from Tu-882 is a bonus. Don't you agree? [/size]

Yes, quite fun. Didn't think I'd find myself so enthusiastic about DIY hi fi, but now I'm hooked! Wonderful fun!

BTW, WE 396A tubes make a great amp sound even better!

Next upgrade, V-caps . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back