REVIEW: Elekit TU882 tube headphone amp (kit and assembled)
Apr 26, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #151 of 158
Just from my limited experience, the low gain output on the TU-882 will easily drive a low impedance IEM like my UE11pro customs too loudly for my listening purposes when the pot reaches 9 o'clock or so.  For some, that would not make a very good amplifier, but I do have the volume output for foobar2K maxed out and could always dial that back to allow the amp to do more work with the input. 

There is also a slight channel imbalance right at the low end, but it goes away when you go past that initial point.  However, the UE11pro's sound great being powered by the TU-882 even under such non ideal settings, with more control of the bass than when compared with plugging them into my iPhone.  I find myself plugging the UE11pros into the amp at home more and more often for listening to rock instead of my full size cans. 

Quote:
It's not that simple. Many cheap tube amps are OTL, so only work well with high impedance headphones. IEMs are very low impedance often and very sensitive. The Elekit is transformer coupled and has low-gain sockets for such headphones, which would explain why it works nicely with IEMs. When I eventually get around to getting some customs, I might pick one up, mod it, drop in some nice tubes and enjoy.

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #156 of 158
Hi to all, I'm interested on buying and building this amp.
I would use it coupled with a Fiio X5 II as source, and with Audeze Sine headphones (orthodynamics, 20 ohms).
Do you think it would be ok? Or is there any other tube amp (in kit) that would be better, in this price range?
Any chance to find this amp in Europe?

Thank you

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #157 of 158
Hi Giraz,

I had this amp (now sold), i used with ibasso dx50/90, and calyx m dap. Paired with 16ohm iems....westone 4 and jh roxanne using low impedance jack.

It paired nicely and was a great little amp fantastic for the price I believe. I ordered from Victor via Canada, and recenly an upgraded 8200dx sent to the UK.

Elekit seem really good value for great sound!

cheers
john

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #158 of 158
Thank you Jtyoung for your feedback.
I'm searching anywhere over internet, I'd like to find this amp in Europe, because it would be quite expensive to order it from Canada, form me that I live in Italy.
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back