REVIEW: Elekit TU882 tube headphone amp (kit and assembled)
Nov 10, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #136 of 158

Quote:
Hi,
Is this a hybrid tube/FET amp or are the FET's for power regulation and the dual triodes used for driver then power?
Thanks,
Geary

Dual  Triode Vacuum Tube 5670W  (WE396A or 2C51)
2 pieces of highly trusted and smart-looking 5670W are used for driver (1/2) and power[size=xx-small][size=xx-small][size=xx-small]oweroo      for driver and poer  [/size][/size][/size]

Power Supply
ripple filter circuit, used with the MOSFET 2Sk2705,helps to reduce hum noise.[size=xx-small][size=xx-small][size=xx-small] [/size][/size][/size]

Mar 20, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #137 of 158

Quote:
 It uses 2x 5670/2C51/WE396A tubes. 

So are they the only three types that the amp will take?  Is it like a default size?  Also, I've notice 5670 is made by many sources.  Is 5670 basically a numbering for the type of tube?  I've noticed that there are Salvinia, Tung Sol, RCA makes them.  They are all 5670, do they all sound different?  Can you guys recommend me a reliable tube dealer with reasonable prices?  Thanks.  :)

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #138 of 158
There are subtle differnces with the various 5670/2C51 tubes, yes.  

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #139 of 158
While I haven't picked up a pair of WE396A tubes for my TU-882, the tubes I've tried in the amp have had some very subtle changes to the sound for my uses.  Various 5670 and 2C51 tubes mainly changed how forward the mids were for me, with the stock tubes being a bit too upfront and emphasized for my liking. 

If you're looking to improve the TU-882, I think the changing out the coupling capacitors per vkung's post in the archives for this amp is a better initial investment.  Much more detailed treble, and great improvement in the overall clarity and instrument separation. 

Quote:

So are they the only three types that the amp will take?  Is it like a default size?  Also, I've notice 5670 is made by many sources.  Is 5670 basically a numbering for the type of tube?  I've noticed that there are Salvinia, Tung Sol, RCA makes them.  They are all 5670, do they all sound different?  Can you guys recommend me a reliable tube dealer with reasonable prices?  Thanks.  :)

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #140 of 158

Quote:

If you're looking to improve the TU-882, I think the changing out the coupling capacitors per vkung's post in the archives for this amp is a better initial investment.  Much more detailed treble, and great improvement in the overall clarity and instrument separation. 

There are 4 PP caps: C1, 2, 5, 6  0.1μ(with incdication of 104)400V.
Once you have replaced these caps WITH OIL CAPS, you will hear a huge difference in the sonic. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #141 of 158
Any suggestions on reasonably priced oil caps?  V-caps are not worth the price for me.  

Quote:
There are 4 PP caps: C1, 2, 5, 6  0.1μ(with incdication of 104)400V.
Once you have replaced these caps WITH OIL CAPS, you will hear a huge difference in the sonic. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #143 of 158
You can use any oil cap. Different brands of oil cap has his unique sound. You can use Vitamin-Q or Mundorf silver/oil 0.1 uF . Daigo is happy his Mundorf silver cap . The price of these caps is very reasonable

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #147 of 158
What do you guys think about Beijing 6N3,Russian Double Triode tubes 6N3P-E ?  Worth it?  To get an idea, can you quantify how much sonic improvement I can get from Tube opposed to Oil Capacitors?  vkung, you suggest oil caps, but the v-caps you used are not, why?  Where can I get oil caps specifically designed for audio for a reasonable price, and you suggested two brands, but what about others?

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #148 of 158
I have several customers in Vancouver. Both of us agreed that the oil caps upgrade is more obervious than tube upgrade for TU-882.  I like vcap but it is too pricy.  Vitamin-q is my alternative.

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #149 of 158
Since I have many IEMs I was looking for a desktop setup to drive them to their full potential, and most people recommend SS amps of tube.  TU882 sounds phenominal even with IEMs under low impedance settings.  Is that setting run on tube or SS?  If SS, then there must be a separate SS circuit to drive low impedance phones.  Why so much hate on tubes for IEMs?  Anybody know?

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #150 of 158
Since I have many IEMs I was looking for a desktop setup to drive them to their full potential, and most people recommend SS amps of tube.  TU882 sounds phenominal even with IEMs under low impedance settings.  Is that setting run on tube or SS?  If SS, then there must be a separate SS circuit to drive low impedance phones.  Why so much hate on tubes for IEMs?  Anybody know?

It's not that simple. Many cheap tube amps are OTL, so only work well with high impedance headphones. IEMs are very low impedance often and very sensitive. The Elekit is transformer coupled and has low-gain sockets for such headphones, which would explain why it works nicely with IEMs. When I eventually get around to getting some customs, I might pick one up, mod it, drop in some nice tubes and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back