REVIEW: Elekit TU882 tube headphone amp (kit and assembled)
Jul 18, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #16 of 158
If I may, I would like to ask one other question. How does this amp compare with the A/T Jade? I am seriously considering the purchase of the kit for my son and I to build together and pair with appropriate cans ( looks like DT990/600 ?). Thanks Again.

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #18 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I read through the other thread, however, it still was a bit unclear. low, medium, high.....? ...

Jes, if it was my thread on this amp I apologize. Please let me know which section of the review needs to be improved so I can correct my mistake in explaining the use of the various jacks in the TU882.

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #19 of 158
the impedance switch is connected to the output transformer; for low connect to output transformer 0~6/ohm; for mid connect to 0~32/ohm; for high connect to 0~600/ohm

Connection suggestion:
Impedance switch is excusively used for the Front Standard Headphone Jack.
Headphone impedance

4~20Ω LOW

20~100Ω MID

100~1KΩ HIGH

TU882Rconnection-1.jpg

Jul 19, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #20 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by setamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I may, I would like to ask one other question. How does this amp compare with the A/T Jade? I am seriously considering the purchase of the kit for my son and I to build together and pair with appropriate cans ( looks like DT990/600 ?). Thanks Again.

The Jade is a little more neutral, and a little more detailed. The Elekit is a little more "organic" and euphonic sounding (although not really colored).

Jul 19, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #22 of 158
Looks great. I like how it has preamp outs. Japan made too which is a nice bonus. I like the classic industrial look too. The DIY aspect of it is welcoming I must admit. Nice.

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #25 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jes, if it was my thread on this amp I apologize. Please let me know which section of the review needs to be improved so I can correct my mistake in explaining the use of the various jacks in the TU882.

Hi Miguel

No sir, not your thread...My apologies....I was referring to the thread when the amp was being spoken about and questions were being asked in reference to the amp...(It was a link I saw and clicked on it (Elekit TU882)...)

Just read your review.......Great job.....

Again...My apologies on the confusion....I have "peeked" in the amp sub-forum periodically and very quickly recently......It is by far the sub-forum that has hurt my wallet the most---BY FAR........So I'm trying to behave and give my wallet a small vacation.....
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #26 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mrarroyo,
Is this amp much better sounding than the ef2?

I do not have the Elekit amp anymore and I hate to compare gear unless I have them side by side since aural memory is bad at best.
wink.gif
Having said so I will go out on a limb and attempt to trust my aural memory, the Elekit has a bit better treble extension, wider soundstage, and the bass has more punch.

Lets remember the assembled Elekit costs a bit over twice as much and I tested it with nice tubes, GE or Western Electric versus the stock Chinese 6J1 that the EF2 ships out with. I should receive a pair of NOS Sylvania 6AK5/5654 and will see if the sound improves w/ those tubes.

Lastly the EF2 has a switch to select from the built in USB DAC or RCA inputs. The EF2 is also an smaller and lighter unit. Although as we know the size and weight have no bearing on sound, however I mention it because those w/ a space requirements might find the size a deciding factor.

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #27 of 158
It's a very interesting review and I understand that this sounds relatively close to the Ming Da MC84-C07, and generally "a little bit better". Having a similar sound and design, could you elaborate a bit on the differences between the two ?

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #28 of 158
It's tough sonically, as they are similar, but in terms of features, there is a huge difference. The Elekit drives low impedance headphones well - the Ming Da does not. The Ming Dan can power speakers - the Elekit cannot.

If that isn't enough to tip the balance for someone (meaning the application is to drive high-impedance headphones), then the decision is very tough. The Elekit has the advantage of using MUCH cheaper tubes - a premium set of tubes for the Ming Da will cost more than $100. A nice pair of NOS 2C51's will be less than $30.

Jul 25, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #29 of 158
Thanks for the info, that's good to know. Don't forget the Elekit also has preamp-out, which the Ming Da... does not
smily_headphones1.gif
Since I'm only interested in HP I will probably go with the Elekit.

So that means down the road there's another question going like "so, what good brands of tube for this do you know ?"
smily_headphones1.gif
Since they are cheap I am interested in as many options as possible, as I will be able to get several pairs to cover different sound types.

Jul 25, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #30 of 158
Von Soundcard either the GE 5670 or the Western Electric will be fine. The second is a bit better but not as cheap as the GE 5670. Regardless you have made an excellent decision on a great sounding amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back