REVIEW: Elekit TU882 tube headphone amp (kit and assembled)
Jul 25, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #31 of 158
Indeed, the JAN GE 5670 is a nice sounding tube and can be had NOS for under $5 each. I do think the Sylvania 2C51 sounds better, and the WE 386A better still, but start with the GE - you can't go wrong.

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #32 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's tough sonically, as they are similar, but in terms of features, there is a huge difference. The Elekit drives low impedance headphones well - the Ming Da does not. The Ming Dan can power speakers - the Elekit cannot.
If that isn't enough to tip the balance for someone (meaning the application is to drive high-impedance headphones), then the decision is very tough. The Elekit has the advantage of using MUCH cheaper tubes - a premium set of tubes for the Ming Da will cost more than $100. A nice pair of NOS 2C51's will be less than $30.

Tu-882 has a 200mw of output . If the speaker is connected at the LOW impedance setting, then it will produce a low volume.
Please refer the upper right of this diagram
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ml#post5858785

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #37 of 158
Quote:

The Jade is a little more neutral, and a little more detailed. The Elekit is a little more "organic" and euphonic sounding (although not really colored).

Hi Skylab,

Can you explain how something that is euphonic sounding not be coloured?

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #38 of 158
Perhaps I should have said "not annoyingly colored". Or "not overtly colored". Or maybe, "not egregiously colored". The point I was trying to make was that it wasn't badly or annoyingly colored.

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #39 of 158
Damn, more amp temptation. I have been thinking of a tube amp to go with the HF-2s when they arrive, and being that I live in Japan, I can get the amp for $100 less.

Skylab: How does the Elekit compare to the C2C?

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #40 of 158
Currawong;5886659 said:
Damn, more amp temptation. I have been thinking of a tube amp to go with the HF-2s when they arrive, and being that I live in Japan, I can get the amp for $100 less.

You will just save money on the shipping (from Japan to NA) and the 120V transformer. Bear in mind, all domestic models come without an English manual and a 120V transformer.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #41 of 158
Quote:

Perhaps I should have said "not annoyingly colored". Or "not overtly colored". Or maybe, "not egregiously colored". The point I was trying to make was that it wasn't badly or annoyingly colored.

Ahh, I get it now.
Thanks.

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #42 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Skylab: How does the Elekit compare to the C2C?

Pretty different in some respects - both are excellent. I personally prefer the Elekit, but the C-2-C might be the better choice for some headphones - the C-2-C is far from bright, but it's leaner sounding than the TU882.

Jul 30, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #43 of 158
I found the Elekit factory today, a few minutes drive from my apartment! triode12 had told me before that they were based in Fukuoka, but at the time, I assumed it would be somewhere miles away and a pain to get to. I spoke to their English-speaking PR person who was well aware of Head-fi and this review, so I am planning to go there again with HD-800s and Grados and some other gear possibly to do the "factory tour" thing.

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #44 of 158
Hi, could somebody tell me about the "Loop-through Outputs" on the back. Does that just relay the incoming signal back out, or is it processed through the tubes - thus for example, I could send it to my powered monitors to get the tube-sound with them as well? I haven't seen a picture of the back. Is there a switch to determine which is live: the rear outputs, or the front headphone jacks? Also, does the volume knob on the front affect the level out of these rear outputs?

Oh, and is there a switch that determines which inputs are live: the front or back? If not what would happen if both were going, would it mix them 50-50?

Also, can multiple headphones be hooked up simultaneously as there are three separate headphone jacks? And if so, will it alter the sound due to that, as the JADE amp apparently does?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #45 of 158
The manual says

"The signal inputs are output just as they are from the terminal. It enables another amplifier to be connected here at the same time."

The volume control does no work with the output so I'm guessing no tube sound.

If both the RCA input and priority input terminal are used at the same time the priority input wins. This is convenient since it's the easiest to disconnect.

I never thought to test more than one jack until you asked.

I've verified that you can use all three headphone jacks at the same time. I have my HD650 in the standard set to high impedance, DT770 in the mid, and AD900 in the low and I can't detect any sound quality loss in any of them. I haven't done extensive testing since I'm worried running three headphones might cause damage somehow. Oddly my Monster Turbines do affect the system. When I plug them into the med impedance jack the sound quality drops for everything. However that doesn't happen when connected to the low impedance jack.

I've also tried the MS1 and HD650 at the same time and there is no noticeable loss in sound quality.

Edit: Just tried the K701 on med and the HD650 on standard high. I couldn't detect anything on the K701 but the HD650 took just a slight hit. Hardly noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back