[Review] Dual dynamic driver: Radius HP-TWF11R inner earphone - pleasure pleasure little treasure
May 7, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #91 of 215

Quote:

Waiting for more impressions on the Radius
regular_smile%20.gif

LOL, people are scared of putting an alien torture device in their ear.  

May 7, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #92 of 215

Quote:

LOL, people are scared of putting an alien torture device in their ear.  

I'm reminded of the scene from Wrath of Khan where the beetle looking creature is put in Chekov's ear.... 

May 7, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #93 of 215

Quote:
Hey eric-
Did I read correctly recently that you've got the Radius & SM3 on order?? You HAVE to fill me in on one/both when you receive them compared to the FX700's!!! 

Hey Chris buddy, NOOOOOOO! I don't have the SM3 on order - can't afford it right now, and I'm not really interested in it without a test hearing first. But, I do have the Radius on order. If I don't get it in today, I hope to see it at my doorstep Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Will keep you posted buddy. I'm really enjoying the FX700 by the way @ Chris. Koonhua and I discovered that the smaller tips you use actually gives you the best details out of the FX700. Check the thread for our findings... Happy listening...

May 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #94 of 215

Quote:
I'm reminded of the scene from Wrath of Khan where the beetle looking creature is put in Chekov's ear.... 

KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!!

May 7, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #95 of 215

Quote:
Hey Chris buddy, NOOOOOOO! I don't have the SM3 on order - can't afford it right now, and I'm not really interested in it without a test hearing first. But, I do have the Radius on order. If I don't get it in today, I hope to see it at my doorstep Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Will keep you posted buddy. I'm really enjoying the FX700 by the way @ Chris. Koonhua and I discovered that the smaller tips you use actually gives you the best details out of the FX700. Check the thread for our findings... Happy listening...

Eric-
Ah, good to know! I'm highly curious about the Radius too, so hopefully you'll get them today. Glad you're liking the FX700's too. I found pretty much the same thing about a slightly small tip... I'm using the medium JVC silicone pair, and I usually take a slightly larger tip (like the second from largest in Hybrids, and the large Senn bi-flanges), so I think I'm getting a very similar result as you. Staggering detail and layering! 

Wonder what sort of tips the Radius' will work best with. 

May 11, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #99 of 215
I wonder when that will be out. I guess I don't have to buy the current model and hope it fits :p

May 11, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #101 of 215

Quote:
I think the new one might fit better. It says they will be released within this year, which means any dates before 31th, December 2010
regular_smile .gif

I am quite aware of when the end of this year is and yes I noticed your sarcasm :p

Hopefully they are priced similarly however.

May 11, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #102 of 215
^ LoL
beyersmile.png

The article says they will be priced about the same as the current Radius W, which I think is around 15,000Yen. I think the difference between them, other then the look, design, fit, is like what @david1978jp stated, the new model is perhaps more balance over the frequency spectrum with more treble compared to the current one.

And if you take a look at the cable in the picture
ph34r.gif
 Hope that they do something to it before a final product is released.

May 11, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #103 of 215
The current model is pretty well balanced, just maybe not for the ear's attenuation. In terms of listening tests, it is flatter than a lot of earphones. Its dual drivers isn't (though I expected it to be) bass-bass-bass, it is pretty well flat at the ear.

May 11, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #104 of 215
At first I thought the current model is nothing else but bass. But seems that Radius make full use of the dual driver to produce good quality and precise bass
regular_smile .gif

May 11, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #105 of 215
Okay, I just picked these up from the post office. Obviously they haven't burnt in yet (and burn in should be interesting, considering I'm burning in two drivers at once).

My initial impressions out of the box are, they actually sound like a much more refined version of the Audio Technica CKS70's - or maybe out of box CK 90Pros with more timbre, with treble not nearly as recessed, and bass not nearly as overwhelming. The bass is the standout so far - wet, sonorous but not exagerrated. That said, resolution doesn't seem as good as something like the BA based CK 90Pro. One thing that they have over these other two is that there is no real shrillness anywhere on the frequency spectrum, and a frequency sweep through them sounds pretty smooth to me. They are ported, so have a open soundstage similar to the CKS70. These are of course all initial impressions, and I'm pretty excited about how they will sound with burn in. I'm not absolutely blown away at this point though.

Fit is actually okay for me - similar to the way CKS70's fit. I can see why people would find these awkward, but my ears are okay. The problem is because the majority of the weight is away from the ear canal, they seem to naturally want to pull out. The included tips are horrible and add to the problem by not being grippy enough. Sony hybrid tips seem to work better with the slightly sticky feel of the silicon.

A really scary thing happened: I must have taken out the right earphone too fast and displaced the bass drive in it, because when I put them back in I heard a crinkling noise and there was no bass in the right earphone. What's really bizarre was that I could still hear the treble driver, so I got the chance to listen to that driver by itself! Pretty weak and thin. I managed to solve the problem by moving the earphone in and out of my ear like a plunger, and the driver 'popped' back into place. I assumed that this kind of thing wouldn't happen with ported dynamic phones, so be warned!

The box is fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back