[Review] Dual dynamic driver: Radius HP-TWF11R inner earphone - pleasure pleasure little treasure
Apr 30, 2010 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 215

shigzeo

The Hiss King
HP-review-RadiusTWF11R-glamour.jpg

God I feel stupid saying this, even for thinking it, but this gimmicky earphone is simply an aural treasure full of lots'n lots of pleasure.

Here is my full review of the Radius HP-TWF11R with pictures

Fit 'n crap
First, let's get the bad stuff out of the way so we can focus on the good stuff: this earphone is a b*tch to wear. Up or down, it simply doesn't sit right. It is too long, strangely angled, and prods out like the hairy arms of a rude lumberjack.

Worse yet is that combined with horrid fit comes a horrid cable. All nylon, all mighty microphonics. Every breath you take, every move you make, this thing will be chomping 'thwacky' sounds into your ears - that is if it doesn't first fall out.

The neck cinch doesn't help either - it is nicely made, but without purpose since these things have nothing better than precarious plowed into them. Horrid, maybe even worst yet.

Build 'n That
All together, not bad. Typical shortsightedness applies to cable design: straight plug termination makes it easy to snag on objects and break the plug or DAP. Be careful. The strain reliefs are okay; certainly, they are nothing to write home about, but they should be better than a lot of competition out there.

The body is 100% plastic and Sansa Fuze style of cheap ***** rubber coating. Not bad, but what in the hell is the cleaning cloth for? For polishing plastic? LOL.

Sound
Okay, here is where this earphone really turns it up. I will make an overbearing, possibly damning statement here: you may not find as well-tuned an earphone for any price.

That out of the way, I hope you read on. By that I mean, it isn't bassy in the traditional sense: Atrio M5, FX500, IE8 - no, it is balanced as far as the ear is concerned. There is a healthy nudge upward in the low frequencies, but it is by far the best balance I've heard in a dynamic earphone.

Tailored, you bet, but wonderfully. Texture, space, pace - it's all there. You will NOT find a more well-realised earphone anywhere near its price range. The same goes for the midrange - there simply is nothing wrong. Great shimmer in the mid-highs and highs, to-die-for guitars of any variety: bass, steel, nylon, electric; fabulous distortion and piano which should not sound so good for 140$.

If there is anything to complain about, it is that a mild suckout in the female vocal area is noticeable, but hardly hardly a problem. There is nothing sonically that his earphone can be faulted for.

Space: it is there in gobs - and I mean GOBS. And unlike the IE8, not a hint of plastic echo - even when playing trance.

Excellent.

If this earphone was built better, I'd pay upwards of 400$ for it. Sadly, it is built/designed for... who knows. It is simply embarrassing because Radius could have made the best value known to portable audio had they just done their cable and fit homework.

Final rating: 3/5
Sound 5/5

Here is my full review of the Radius HP-TWF11R with pictures

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it looks like my picture link is broken: I'll have to update my Flickr account. But my perennially slow internet will put that aside for the moment.

South Korea and slow internet in the same general area? I must say I'm astounded.

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 215
Nice review @ shigzeo. Thanks for finally posting it. I'm interested in this IEM.

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
South Korea and slow internet in the same general area? I must say I'm astounded.

It's not my internet per se, it's my South Korean router that is the problem - and it is baaaad. When it comes to internet, Korea is fast, when it comes to supporting that speed, stay away from South Korean companies - surest way to maintain constant connections.

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 215
excellent review shigz as always.i did a google search and it is impossible to find an online store for them,how can i get it.....if i considered purchasing them ofcourse
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 215
Thanks for the kind words. Sadly, though, I don't know. I assume a few companies can ship, but I am just borrowing these, so I have no real idea at all. That said, I am thinking to purchase them and mod them to fit as I am smitten by the sound - completely.

Keep in mind, the Radius TWF11R isn't 'neutral' in the monitoring sense - it has good attenuation control for the ear's most difficult to hear frequencies and has a luscious midrange.

If you have ever liked the SE530 but wished for more treble, this is it. If you've ever wished your IE8 wasn't boomy, but you loved its width, this is it. If you've ever wished the FX500 was smoother, this is it. If you've ever wished for anything as an upgrade to your old earphones and only have 150$, you've got it with this one.

It sounds... stunning. But, it is as usable as a cardboard box in the rain - a shoddy attempt at packing the goods into anything. Sad, but true. If you can live with that proviso, this is a grab.

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review @ shigzeo. Thanks for finally posting it. I'm interested in this IEM.

Ohhh nooooo eric... say it ain't so. I can't go here just now. Although Shigz's review makes them seem very tempting. I'm also just a hair tempted by the SM3, but want to wait for growing reviews to come in detailing the bass more consistently.

If you get the Radius, please do a comparo with the FX700's. Way too many choices these days. When does it end??
mad.gif

Great review as always shigzeo!

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by Photofan1986 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review, Shigzeo!
Very strange beast, I must say! Isn't this the first dual dynamic driver phone on the market?

I think it is the first iem with dual dynamic drivers. An old Panny had two drivers, but I think they were clip or press ons.

Honestly, I am surprised that the HP-TWF11R sounds this good - very surprised. My wife thinks they are cute - okay! haha, but she agrees that they sound amazing.

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #12 of 215
Nice review Shigzeo! I am pretty much in agreement here. The sound quality is AMAZING and blew away all of the competition I tried on in the shop (including FX-700 and Monster Golds that are 2x more expensive!)
And yes, the big negative is a pretty awful fit! I almost didn't buy them for that reason but now that I am breaking them in I am glad I did!

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 215
nice review shigzeo
smily_headphones1.gif
Strangely enough I am interested in these but I think the price may have something to do with it. This sounds like it would be a good iem for when you are on your computer or not moving around much.

The only place I see them on purchase is rakuten but if you are not in Japan you have to use a forwarding which comes out to around $180 or so shipped.

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 215
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohhh nooooo eric... say it ain't so. I can't go here just now. Although Shigz's review makes them seem very tempting. I'm also just a hair tempted by the SM3, but want to wait for growing reviews to come in detailing the bass more consistently.

If you get the Radius, please do a comparo with the FX700's. Way too many choices these days. When does it end??
mad.gif

Great review as always shigzeo!

Yeah @ Chris, I was actually kind of interested in these (the idea of dual dynamic drivers intrigued me) before the FX700, but it just so happen that it was easier to purchase the FX700 from Japan than these. I haven't been able to find a good place to purchase these from without too much bump cost in shipping to the USA. Was wondering if anyone has ever done business with alibaba.com in Hong Kong? Well @ Chris buddy, if I get them I will definitely give you a quick good impressions. Right, will this madness ever end? lol
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back