Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment
Mar 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #347 of 416
Quote:
Check on Monday we will be comparing it to the Taboo you have as DMinches swill be here Saturday to see if its better, i am waiting for another amp as this one had an issue that Steve rectified on another amp he sending me . I will be posting pictures and impression on Monday and the review in about 4 weeks

Frank, what's the issue with your current amp?

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #348 of 416
Quote:
Frank, what's the issue with your current amp?

The resistor put in the amp when it was being finished was a 100 ohm resistor and should have been a 1 ohm resistor so the amp was not playing as loud as it should be holding back the power. Steve Deckert rectified the situation and is sending me a new amp thats been corrected and quality control on all orders is now very rigid until the amps start flowing Steve is personally doing the QC on the Taboo. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #350 of 416
My amp was originally messed up when it shipped to me also.  Sound coming out of it was REALLY bad,it was lower than low-fi and tingy.  When I sent it back they fixed the problem, and had it back to me a week later.

So it does happen...but their support is VERY good and very quick.

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #351 of 416
Quote:
That gives some peace of mind then. I'd hate to have to ship mine back from the UK just because of one resistor haha.

Quote:
That gives some peace of mind then. I'd hate to have to ship mine back from the UK just because of one resistor haha.

I would be surprised if anymore get out without proper control. just so you know if Decware feels it was shipped improperly they will handle the return shipping so you wont get stuck with shipping but Steve personally doing the QC now on these amps

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #352 of 416
Thanks Frank!
The resistor put in the amp when it was being finished was a 100 ohm resistor and should have been a 1 ohm resistor so the amp was not playing as loud as it should be holding back the power. Steve Deckert rectified the situation and is sending me a new amp thats been corrected and quality control on all orders is now very rigid until the amps start flowing Steve is personally doing the QC on the Taboo. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #353 of 416
Interesting additional info on the Taboo page at Decware:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/TABOO.htm

NOTICE

COMPARING THE NEW & OLD TABOO's

[td] The older (white) taboo that this model replaced was priced at[/td] [td] $1395.00[/td] [td] With optional cap upgrade[/td] [td] $200.00[/td] [td] Stepped attenuator[/td] [td] $250.00[/td] [td] Planar Headphone mod / 1/4 inch jack[/td] [td] $100.00[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td]
[td] Total Cost for fully tweaked Headphone Use[/td] [td] $1945.00[/td] [td]
The new Taboo Mk III costs $250.00 less at:[/td] [td]

$1695.00[/td]
[td] And comes with everything listed above.
 [/td] [td]  [/td]
[td]
In addition the following items are also included free:
  1. Fully Balanced dual XLR jacks for balanced headphone cables.
  2. 2 pairs of inputs and a silver input selector switch.
  3. Variable input level controls for all 4 channels.
  4. Dual 1/4 TRS headphone jacks, one on each side.
  5. The new lucid mode  - sound stage expander. 
  6. High Mass Steel upgrade for lower micro-phonics.
  7. Conversion to the better sounding 6922/6N1P/6DJ8 front end.
  8. Higher input sensitivity for better performance without a preamp.
  9. Ultra cool bias meters, one for each output tube
[/td] [td]  [/td]

Saves me parsing through the info pages.....Handy that.

Mar 15, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #354 of 416
He almost makes it seem CHEAP!!! The fact that they are giving $200 off makes it the buy of a lifetime :).

Isn't it funny how you have to convince yourself that you made a wise decision no matter how frivilous it is in the first place. At least there is a place for people like me who will drop 1,500 bones on a 5 watt tube amp. I am soon going to be dropping another G on headphones. This madness has to stop...... Doesn't it?????? There goes my wallet.

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #356 of 416
If you have the ears, these expenses are nothing, really. Enthusiast drivers will sacrifice a lot for their cars, for instance. I have a coworker who owns the MazdaSpeed3 which is the car I owned before I went motorcycle-only. He got an access port for it and raves about it.

The Decware amps are pure sex for an audiophile, IMHO. $1,700 ain't nothing if you can appreciate the sound.

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #357 of 416
Quote:
Interesting additional info on the Taboo page at Decware:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/TABOO.htm

NOTICE

COMPARING THE NEW & OLD TABOO's

[td] The older (white) taboo that this model replaced was priced at[/td] [td] $1395.00[/td] [td] With optional cap upgrade[/td] [td] $200.00[/td] [td] Stepped attenuator[/td] [td] $250.00[/td] [td] Planar Headphone mod / 1/4 inch jack[/td] [td] $100.00[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td]
[td] Total Cost for fully tweaked Headphone Use[/td] [td] $1945.00[/td] [td]
The new Taboo Mk III costs $250.00 less at:[/td] [td]

$1695.00[/td]
[td] And comes with everything listed above.
 [/td] [td]  [/td]
[td]
In addition the following items are also included free:
  1. Fully Balanced dual XLR jacks for balanced headphone cables.
  2. 2 pairs of inputs and a silver input selector switch.
  3. Variable input level controls for all 4 channels.
  4. Dual 1/4 TRS headphone jacks, one on each side.
  5. The new lucid mode  - sound stage expander. 
  6. High Mass Steel upgrade for lower micro-phonics.
  7. Conversion to the better sounding 6922/6N1P/6DJ8 front end.
  8. Higher input sensitivity for better performance without a preamp.
  9. Ultra cool bias meters, one for each output tube
[/td] [td]  [/td]

Saves me parsing through the info pages.....Handy that.

The price above on the old Taboo show 200.00 for upgrade Jupitor Beeswax Caps on MK111 and the V caps are still a 200.00 upgrade The  amp I have here does not have upgraded  V caps. I also have the 4 pin option and a Maple base which brings the cost of this Taboo to 1795.00 with the standard caps. I should state these are the Jupitor Beeswax Caps which are an upgrade over the original Taboo caps and included standard. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #358 of 416
^ yes, as Steve notes, the (standard) beeswax caps have increased resolution and are more organic than the previous vcap option.

In the Decware forum Pale Rider ordered the new taboo at first with the new (teflon) vcap upgrade. He 'downgraded' to beeswax after talking to Steve about it and finding "he is a big fan of the ... beeswax caps".

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #359 of 416
There was some chatter on the Decware forums about the caps. Steve prefers the sound of the beeswax caps to the V-caps for most applications, so I just took his advice and saved the money. I did spring for the 4-pin XLR connectors as at the time I was considering the LCD3 which comes with a 4 pin standard. Now, I am pretty much going with the LCD2 due to the $$$$. I figure that I will be adding an upgraded 4-pin later. I still have to buy a DAC. Beresford Bushmaster ($230) meridian Explorer ($300) and Peachtree DaciT (refurbbed for $375) are all high on the list ATM.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #360 of 416
^ that will be a fantastic combination Landmantx!

I meant to add the LCD3 next. Steve's new Taboo is a distraction. Damn these creative engineer types :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back