Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment
Mar 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #361 of 416
Dang...theres goes my budget...oh wait I dont have a budget..heh.  Just ordered the Taboo MKIII in cherry 4 pin XLR.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #363 of 416
Maple...It is all about Maple!

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #364 of 416
Maple is awesome too, but it doesn't match my desired head cannons.

BTW, I have been sitting at the top of page 3 for like a week now, somebody needs to get to crackin' up at Santa's Workshop!

I keep seeing more parts pulled and more on the bench, but its time to start clearing out some product!

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #365 of 416
Bird's eye? 

I am partial to redheads so it was either cherry or rosewood for me.

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #367 of 416
Is anyone buying the new copper Decware DSG interconnects? They look pretty nice and aren't too nerd-fi expensive. I may do it just for looks if nothing else.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/DSG.html

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #368 of 416
I bought a pair of 1/2 meter cables to hook the amp up to my dac.  I thought they looked good and were a good price.

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #369 of 416
^ I bought 1/2 meter last year. Ideal for hooking csp2 to taboo. Bit short for dac connections because of the top versus rear sockets and the different shapes (deep decware versus wide, shallow dacs). Wished I'd bought 1 meter (and will with my next order).

Have you measured up to make sure it will work?

Their i/cs do look good.

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #370 of 416
Quote:
There was some chatter on the Decware forums about the caps. Steve prefers the sound of the beeswax caps to the V-caps for most applications, so I just took his advice and saved the money. I did spring for the 4-pin XLR connectors as at the time I was considering the LCD3 which comes with a 4 pin standard. Now, I am pretty much going with the LCD2 due to the $$$$. I figure that I will be adding an upgraded 4-pin later. I still have to buy a DAC. Beresford Bushmaster ($230) meridian Explorer ($300) and Peachtree DaciT (refurbbed for $375) are all high on the list ATM.

I'm going to roll with the Schiit Bifrost for a DAC w/ the Taboo III I ordered tonight.   It's a really good DAC for the money, and also fully upgradeable.   I was using the Lyr before with a ODAC and going to the Bifrost from ODAC was an absolute revelation, I can't wait to see how it does with the Taboo.   If you're looking for a high quality, made in the USA DAC check out the Schiit, you won't be disappointed.   I will totally caveat this with saying in the $350 - $500 price range though, as there are definitely better DACs out there in the $1K+ range, but that's money I don't have now after the Taboo purchase. My next buy is speakers anyway, the Bifrost can carry the DAC load for now, and so I'm squirreling away for some high efficiency speakers.   Recommendations welcome!

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #371 of 416
I slightly considered that one until AiDee who is a Decware nut told me the Beresford Bushmaster sounded better and is significantly less expensive. I am one of the few on here that doesn't really get into the whole Schiit mystique, so it was very easy for me to move along. I still haven't settled on a DAC yet, but I am getting close. I think I will get to sample a Peachtree on Sunday. I like their equipment, but when you get up to $400 plus there becomes so many options it makes you dizzy.

I can't imagine you will be unsatisfied with your Schiit DAC though, as almost everyone seems to like them. I just don't get the fanaticism that I see from people who have never heard anything else. They spam every thread it seems.

I wish there was a reasonably priced DAC that looked as good as my Taboo and had sound to match. That would get my attention.

Mar 16, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #372 of 416
Quote:
I slightly considered that one until AiDee who is a Decware nut told me the Beresford Bushmaster sounded better and is significantly less expensive. I am one of the few on here that doesn't really get into the whole Schiit mystique, so it was very easy for me to move along. I still haven't settled on a DAC yet, but I am getting close. I think I will get to sample a Peachtree on Sunday. I like their equipment, but when you get up to $400 plus there becomes so many options it makes you dizzy.

I can't imagine you will be unsatisfied with your Schiit DAC though, as almost everyone seems to like them. I just don't get the fanaticism that I see from people who have never heard anything else. They spam every thread it seems.

I wish there was a reasonably priced DAC that looked as good as my Taboo and had sound to match. That would get my attention.

I get what you're saying about the fanaticism, but I have heard other DACs, and really what attracted me to it in the first place was the promise of upgradeability more than anything.  They did a lot of things right with it, which is part of the allure as well.   There are a lot of decent DACs under $500, but as far as I know this is the only one that gets most of it right.   I shopped around a whole lot before I bought the Bifrost, and bought more than a couple of DACs based on hearsay that didn't work out.  

It probably will not be the last DAC I own either, but for the time being I have other priorities -- like speakers mainly, a balanced headphone cable, a better phono stage, a better tonearm and cartridge (heck, maybe even a new deck), a really good CD player, upgraded interconnects and then a replacement DAC (and it won't cost less than $500, I can assure you of that).

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #373 of 416
So should I prepare for the Taboo by picking up some resistors? I am not going to be attaching speakers initially.

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1325804911/15

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #375 of 416
Quote:
Those maple HR-1's on the Decware forum would probably fit into your system nicely, Longbow! They looked beautiful.

They are gorgeous. Given my space at ATM, I will probably go with the DM945's this fall. Too close to summer for new speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back