Review Decware Taboo. An Amazing Achievment
Mar 17, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #393 of 416
Haven't been able to verify this yet, but I can say the CSP+ is a far better match with the HD800 than the previous Taboo.

BTW, that Bifrost will be a limiting factor for such a revealing HD800-based Decware rig. I suggest auditioning a Concero during the 30 day trial period and keep the DAC you like most since they are so close in price.

Why do you say that about the Bifrost? The Taboo is supposed to do OK with HD800s, and I will add a CSP2+ at some point. For now my aim is speakers + headphones and this gets me there.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #394 of 416
Quote:
Quote:
Haven't been able to verify this yet, but I can say the CSP+ is a far better match with the HD800 than the previous Taboo.

BTW, that Bifrost will be a limiting factor for such a revealing HD800-based Decware rig. I suggest auditioning a Concero during the 30 day trial period and keep the DAC you like most since they are so close in price.

Why do you say that about the Bifrost? The Taboo is supposed to do OK with HD800s, and I will add a CSP2+ at some point. For now my aim is speakers + headphones and this gets me there.

I do not think the Bifrost would be a bad pairing. I have liked everything so far using the AKM Chips. While it may be the weaker link in a Taboo MK III/HD800 chain, it would not embarrass itself by any means. It is really expensive to try and gather all the top line pieces at once. The Bifrost is a nice step toward your goal.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #395 of 416
The Bifrost has been really great for me, I am kind of annoyed sometimes by the lack of 176.8, but it's not the end of the world because I don't really care for upsampling.   I like having optical and coax inputs in addition to usb too, and it's upgradeable with board swaps.

I don't get the Schiit dislike around here sometimes.

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #396 of 416
Bifrost has clarity and neutrality on its side. Purrin et al. note a mid-bass hump, not the best match with e.g. LCD2/Taboo II which needs high quality bass. This may be why I noted a distinct lack of clarity and separation with piano with lots of pedal/tone-colour/chord work in play compared to e.g. Beresford Bushmaster.

That said, it went pretty well with SS amps like Meier Corda Concerto and Classic.

And of it may go very well with Taboo/HD800 - not a combination I have heard.

Btw I like Schitt - still own the Lyr and am one of those eager to hear more detail of the forthcoming statement DAC.

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #397 of 416
Quote:
Bifrost has clarity and neutrality on its side. Purrin et al. note a mid-bass hump, not the best match with e.g. LCD2/Taboo II which needs high quality bass. This may be why I noted a distinct lack of clarity and separation with piano with lots of pedal/tone-colour/chord work in play compared to e.g. Beresford Bushmaster.

That said, it went pretty well with SS amps like Meier Corda Concerto and Classic.

And of it may go very well with Taboo/HD800 - not a combination I have heard.

Btw I like Schitt - still own the Lyr and am one of those eager to hear more detail of the forthcoming statement DAC.

I see, I might go for another DAC in time, I just have to work this in pieces.  

A bit at a time and build something, my next steps are a pair of speakers to go with the Taboo.  I'm eyeing Zu, but maybe there's other offerings that will be more to suit the Taboo? I have some decent 89dB speakers now, but that won't ultimately do the job with the power on offer here.   Any suggestions other than that are welcome, maybe harbeth or even the decware line.   I have never heard either of these and have no chance obviously of auditioning them.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #398 of 416
Quote:
Why do you say that about the Bifrost? 

I own a CSP+ and HD800. The Bifrost, while a great entry-level DAC for the money, doesn't keep pace on the same performance curve. It's a bit like drinking a milkshake through one of those narrow gin & tonic stirring straws. You can do it... but... 

Mar 18, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #399 of 416
Yeah the bifrost is a big limitation I can attest to that. I owned one and it was not nearly as revealing as my current dac.  Possibly more neutral but the detail was just not there IMO.  Whatever tube I'm using right now in my dac i want to say RCA I can't really remember it's been so long since I changed it but whichever one it is, I got things sounding where I want them.  Maybe a touch warmer than neutral overall.  I would consider the upcoming schiit dac to pair with the taboo if i could get a chance to demo it when it releases.  Otherwise I tend to stay away just due to the hype it's hard to get a good gauge on what's going on with their products.  Not that I disrespect them as a company, it's just easier to get more reliable impressions from other manufacturers that compete just as well.

@toschek I'm using 87dB speakers no problem in a smallish room.  I think 89 would do the job in most household situations.  If you have a dedicated listening room or a home theater then I would understand the want for something more efficient.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #400 of 416
I think the point is it is not always economically feasible to get the best components at the same time. Big bucks to lay it out at once. If you have a piece like the Bifrost already available, then use it while you are saving up for another move.

May 24, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #402 of 416
The Taboo II was billed as a speaker and ortho amp. Otoh Fang (see somewhere around p.5 or 6 this thread I think) liked the T1 on it. Iirc Nick Dangerous likes grados with it, and I've confirmed this with my RS1. Not just orthos apparently.

General characteristics I appreciate in the taboo II are dynamics (does both macro and micro, almost as if it's decompressing its input), transparent (startling added low-level, subtle detail at times over other amps I'm familiar with), and enough tube rolling options to make it as balanced/neutral (this includes excellent, high quality bass) or warm or whatever as you like. Lucid mode showed well too with the grados, the one time I compared.

The HD600 or any other senn I don't know.

May 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #403 of 416
Taboo MKII is GREAT with Grados, but not so good with the HD800... and I would venture to guess not likely to do justice to the HD600 either.

Anxiously awaiting the opportunity to hear the design changes brought about by the MKIII at the June 9th meet.

May 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #404 of 416
I would recommend the CSP2+ for the HD600/HD650's...Awesome combo and a bit less expensive even ordered new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back