[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Oct 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #1,366 of 1,750
Quote:
How well do these isolate?

How easy are they to drive?

They isolate pretty well since they're closed headphones. It blocks out people having a conversation outside my room. Don't know about portable use (bus, train, etc.) though.

64 ohms, so very easy to drive. No problems running it directly out of my Clip+, laptop, desktop, etc.

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #1,367 of 1,750
Quote:
How well do these isolate?

How easy are they to drive?

I would say that they isolate very well (for a passive can).

Also, these are the only cans I have that don't make my wife complain about leackage out when I'm using them.

And as already stated: very easy to drive.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #1,371 of 1,750
Quote:
How would you describe it, then?

My opinions on these are unpopular, here is basically what I thought about them.

In any case, if you're talking about frequency response, better to try and glean info from a few graphs if at all possible.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.innerfidelity.com%2Fimages%2FFischerAudioFA003.pdf
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615030/unleash-the-full-potential-of-your-brainwavz-hm5-or-fa-003-with-mods

To me they sounded pretty much how the InnerFidelity graph looks, with the bass hump having dominance over the rest of the frequency range, and the treble especially being recessed compared to the lower mid and bass frequencies. Kingpage's graphs show a similar though less pronounced balance. I think it's interesting to note that the bass hump and lower mids dip is consistent throughout all of the different measurements. It seems this effect is probably due to the acoustic properties of the cups? Whatever it is, coupled with the leaning towards a "bottom up" or "downward slope" frequency balance, this is not flat at all.

Actually, there is some evidence that these headphones have not been consistent from pair to pair over time, which would pretty much throw any of our individual experiences out the window in terms of being able to compare notes on the sound. I'm mostly talking about the pads.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/616600/get-the-most-out-of-your-brainwavz-hm5-fa-003-digitech-yoga-cd-880-headphones-a-mod-inquiry
http://www.head-fi.org/t/628564/wtb-fischer-fa-003-earpads

They apparently have been changed over time, or vary in build quality/consistency. I remember some people saying they got pairs of pads which were different from each other and lopsided. Pads can make very noticeable differences in sound IME.

As this thread began gaining popularity early in the year, we suddenly began seeing a surge of random electronics retailers starting to sell "clones" of these headphones (actually though all of them including the original FA-003 are presumably OEM'd from the same place). I guess trying to take advantage of the massive amount of hype surrounding these, generated by a lot of people on this site including myself for some time. "Neutral champ" "closed HD600" "competes with $300-600 headphones for less than half the price!" and all that crap.

Honestly, I can't help but look at these headphones as anything other than what they appear to be. Some generic, rather low build quality, and generally sketchy OEM headphone cobbled together in some random factory somewhere.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #1,373 of 1,750
:) well hm5 is not exactly bypassing those $300-500 headphones... or actually at the same of hd600.. what I can say is that I love my hm5.. tho mine is modded already with wood cups and external canare cable. 

To be honest I have not found a huge sound different from my hm5 when I listen to those higher prices headphones that in the class of 200-300 headphones. as for built quality is actualy quite good. and I prefer these compared to m50 and ms1i which have similar price bracket.

I have brought the headphones on some 7hours flights and it works very well for me.. 

manveru might not like it, but I love these headphones.. and since a listening experience always different from one ear to another, the best thing to do might be try it out for yourself. 

Oh btw.. these headphones settled after about 100 hours of burning/use until then, the sound sig can change quite dramatically... it has some reverb that people either like it, didn't bug them, or really hate it. 

however value wise.. I think hm5/ fa-003/jaycar/digtech/yoga is still one of the best valued headphone out there.. also.. very easy to modified as well... so my suggestion try to find the cheapest brand for it and try it yourself.. 

Oct 17, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #1,374 of 1,750
Quote:
That is a pretty negative review! : /

Yup, I fully admit to that :/

Quote:

manveru might not like it, but I love these headphones

Good! I'm very happy for you, seriously. I know I'm really negative about these, but I'm not saying people should or must hate them. I just don't think they are at all like what people always describe them as being.

As for build quality, it's not the worst, but certainly not all it could or should be IMO. First there's the variation between pads, people apparently getting lopsided pairs. The headband adjustment sliders on my pair were loose and didn't stay in place very well. I'm pretty sure I remember reports of people who had theirs come completely loose. The headband is made from very rigid plastic. Whenever I stretched them out to put them on my head, it felt like it was going to snap at any moment, and IIRC for one person it did. Then there's the way the cups are attached to the headband. They are only secured by these tiny plastic notches which are prone to snapping out of place, happened to me once or twice. If one of them were to break in this process, you'd be pretty screwed with your cups hanging loose...sorry for getting carried away with all the lengthy posts...

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #1,375 of 1,750
^ I've only worn my HM5s for about 4 hours so far, and I've been extremely careful whenever I handle them. I noticed the cups have some slop on the headband. My pads are also not the same. Kind of annoying. I don't have any other good headphones to compare the sound to, but the HM5 sounds good to my ears. I like the bass extension.

As far as isolation goes, I am not happy. I bought the HM5s only to use for my lunch break at work, which has a medium amount of ambient noise from many multi-computer towers, and I can't listen at a comfortable volumn. I have sensitive ears, so I can't just turn the volumn up to drown out the ambient noise.

What beyerdynamic pads/ear cushions will fit on Brainwavz HM5 headphones?

I am going to contact Beyerdynamic to hopefully get the clear gel style ear cushions for more isolation with my HM5s, but I'm not sure exactly which model to ask for.

Anyone know?

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #1,376 of 1,750
Quote:

Yup, I fully admit to that :/

Good! I'm very happy for you, seriously. I know I'm really negative about these, but I'm not saying people should or must hate them. I just don't think they are at all like what people always describe them as being.

As for build quality, it's not the worst, but certainly not all it could or should be IMO. First there's the variation between pads, people apparently getting lopsided pairs. The headband adjustment sliders on my pair were loose and didn't stay in place very well. I'm pretty sure I remember reports of people who had theirs come completely loose. The headband is made from very rigid plastic. Whenever I stretched them out to put them on my head, it felt like it was going to snap at any moment, and IIRC for one person it did. Then there's the way the cups are attached to the headband. They are only secured by these tiny plastic notches which are prone to snapping out of place, happened to me once or twice. If one of them were to break in this process, you'd be pretty screwed with your cups hanging loose...sorry for getting carried away with all the lengthy posts...

Manveru, I appreciate your honest opinion on the HM5.  I think both positive and negative impressions help possible buyers form more realistic expectations of said product.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #1,377 of 1,750
The one thing I never understood on this thread was the title "Neutral Champ".  Never thought these were Neutral.

Instead, for me.  They are perfectly warm and clear. 

As I type this, I am listening to "Michael Kiwanuka - Home Again".  An album I feel is perfectly suited for the HM5.  Warm, wonderful and clear.  I find the mids, highs and bass to all be perfect for easy listening music.  No bright highs, no muddy bass and mids are just right.  

The best way I could describe the sound would be, non-fatiguing.  The sound that pours from the HM5 is so smooth.  So easy on the ears.  Though I will admit, in a perfect world, these would have a little more detail.  But we are talking about a >$100 headphone, in the case of the Jaycar clone.  For that price, you are getting a HUGE bang for your buck, or Euro or whatever.

Soundstage is nice.  It is open, gives a good sense of distance.  Sound is not congested.  

Only time I have an issue with the HM5 is when I push it with Dubstep or R&B.  The bass can get a little "echo" to it, that then creeps into the mids a tad.

These are SUPER easy to drive, with almost any device.  I can use my 5th Gen iPod Nano or my old EVO Shift Android Phone without any issues.  It plays FLAC, ALAC as well as lower quality MP3s with ease.

In my case, the SQ of these headphones has lead me to stop buying more headphones.  It has lead me to sell other sets I had, like the MS1.  It has saved me money, by finally providing my ears with a sound I have been looking for a long time.

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #1,378 of 1,750
Quote:

In my case, the SQ of these headphones has lead me to stop buying more headphones.  It has lead me to sell other sets I had, like the MS1.  It has saved me money, by finally providing my ears with a sound I have been looking for a long time.

Well, ain't that a shame
wink_face.gif

I totally agree on how you describe them.

I'm really enjoying these a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back