[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Oct 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #1,351 of 1,750
After some initital listening I must say that dark and muffled is very far from how I would describe them.

I guess different people just have different preferences.

So far I would also say that theyr're the most comfotable headphones I own!

For USD 100 included shipping and stand they're really good value to me.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #1,352 of 1,750
I can see how many people will like them. I've had them for like 6 months now with 100s of hours of listening time and thought they were great, but comfort issues is what got me looking for different headphones, they clamped too much, caused pain on the area around my right ear, and they are stuffy to me. I got my AKGs like a month ago and I have to say, they are far better than the HM5 in both sound and comfort to me. They also made me realize the HM5s are dark sounding, which seems like most lower end headphones are. I do have to give the HM5 credit for not showing sibilance and never sounding harsh, but that comes at a cost of clarity, detail, transparency, range, and the treble. This is what my ears tell me, I'm not saying I'm right or that they are bad, I'm just saying they sound simply okay and bad for their price to my ears. I paid $140 for them, if I got them for $100 or less I would consider them an okay deal. I am going to keep them in case I may want to listen to something different.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #1,353 of 1,750
Having got the Jaycars + Shure pads for under $100, I can say that it is a good value headphone.

I do like the darker sound they have.  It is great for my moody/chill music.  If I want some clear highs, I throw on my MS1.

That said, I still think the HM5/Jaycar have a decent amount of detail for the price.  Everytime I let someone use these for the first time, they are amazed.  I think these are great for hi-fi noobies because they have a great sound, without being too harsh or bright. 

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #1,354 of 1,750
hmm interestingly enough.. I still rate the hm5 as one of the best valued Headphones out there. it has a kinda dark sound in the beginning however after 100+ burn in time, I feel that HM5 does lean toward neutral. Tho I have to admit there are other headphones that can bring out more details than HM5 but those usually cost more than the HM5 itself. 

I tinkered with some wood cups which actually in my opinion improves the sound by quite a lot. Also recabling helps clear up the sound as well.. 

I enjoyed my HM5 more than my MS1, goldring 150, and my ATH50s LE. however... my HM5 looks like this now... and it sounds awesome.. 

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #1,356 of 1,750
I use merbau wood. it is not exactly the fa002w cups, since it has flat ends on the cups, tho I asked for the 8 stepped to be made for the inside of the cups. I tried with the roughly the similar design of the fa002w ( rounded ones) first then made the flat one to decrease the weight. Sound wise.. both gives better soundstage, and color the sound to lean towards being warm. the round one maintain the details abit better however vocal feels abit further away while the flat ones makes the vocals very forward and  gives an intimate feeling. 

I am lucky enough to work in a factory that has a workshop division that has some cnc milling machines, so I asked the manager to make me some samples.. the wood finish abit crude.. but it still looks nice.. (got the materials from a friend who has door and furniture making business)

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #1,359 of 1,750
well I can always make more.. if you're interested.. but gotta warn you it's not exactly as cheap as I thought it would be in the beginning.. lol... 

but yeah it does change the sound.. and I enjoy it alot more with the wood cups.. so for me it's worth it.. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #1,362 of 1,750
Quote:
oooo nice velour pads... and i love the headphone stand

The Shure velour pads are wonderful, so comfortable and the sound that comes from them is great.  The stand was from the "Deals Thread", only $5 shipped from Best Buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back