[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Jun 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #1,276 of 1,750
I'm thinking of putting dynamat extreme behind the felt and on the driver, and a resistor in the circuit, to make my own "High Edition".
biggrin.gif

Photo from here. I haven't opened up my HM5 yet.

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #1,277 of 1,750
Quote:
Thanks for the help man. They just looked really nice. From experience though, I know that people here know what they're doing.

Funny how people's opinions can vary. I'm a huge metal fan and I love the HM5, especially for extreme metal. I own a lot of headphones and I actually think the HM5 are one of the better cans I own for anything fast and heavy. :) Most metal recordings suffer from brickwall producten and sibilance and the HM5, for it's price, makes most metal sound just right to my ears.

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #1,278 of 1,750
Quote:

Funny how people's opinions can vary. I'm a huge metal fan and I love the HM5, especially for extreme metal. I own a lot of headphones and I actually think the HM5 are one of the better cans I own for anything fast and heavy. :) Most metal recordings suffer from brickwall producten and sibilance and the HM5, for it's price, makes most metal sound just right to my ears.

I can see what you mean actually. I imagine they would help tame those aspects of a metal recording, though my previous point still stands for me. Chalk it up to personal preference I guess.

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #1,279 of 1,750
Quote:

I can see what you mean actually. I imagine they would help tame those aspects of a metal recording, though my previous point still stands for me. Chalk it up to personal preference I guess.

Did I really write "producten" instead of "production"? :D Damn language. 

Anyway, just yesterday I sold my Grado SR225i, probably considered one of the best mid-fi heavy metal cans. It's treble was just too piercing for all the screechy black metal I listen to. Right now I enjoy the HM5, HD25-1 II and HD580 best for anything distorted. 

Btw, how did you like that Uptown? I see you're selling it. 

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #1,280 of 1,750
Quote:

Did I really write "producten" instead of "production"? :D Damn language. 

Anyway, just yesterday I sold my Grado SR225i, probably considered one of the best mid-fi heavy metal cans. It's treble was just too piercing for all the screechy black metal I listen to. Right now I enjoy the HM5, HD25-1 II and HD580 best for anything distorted. 

Btw, how did you like that Uptown? I see you're selling it. 

Here's a review I wrote if you want to know my thoughts in detail:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/612677/review-philips-citiscape-uptown-vs-hm5-ath-ad2000

tl;dr
I like them a lot. Much more than the HM5s in fact. :frowning2: Actually I'd rather just keep them, but I could really use the extra cash right now.

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #1,281 of 1,750
anyone wants to sell me their short HM5 cable.?
Mine broke and want to use this on my travel next couple of weeks

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #1,285 of 1,750
Quote:

That's a very vague statement, and it sounds like you may not be taking personal preferences into account. Mind elaborating just a little bit?

I am not taking any personal preferences into account but my own. Sorry for not clarifying.

But I can do a quick head-to-head.

BASS:

M50s have a louder bass, whereas the HM5s bass is more pronounced and easily distinguishable. On the HM5s, I can more easily point out individual bass notes and kick drum hits, even when they are overlapping.

MIDS:
M50s have recessed mids, HM5s don't. Vocals sound a bit more intimate with the HM5s, possibly a result of panned instruments being "further away".

TREBLE:
M50 has a little bit of a treble peak, whereas the HM5s are a bit more even.

SOUNDSTAGE:
The HM5s have a very nice soundstage. Hard panned...anything...sounds like it's coming from across the room. The ATH-M50s are a bit more intimate.

BUILD QUALITY:
M50s wind hands down, but the detachable cable of the HM5s is very nice.

ACCESSORIES:
HM5 comes with a nice hard case, ATH-M50 comes with a soft case. I don't care about this and you don't either.

COST:
Jaycar Pro Monitors are $70 shipped. ATH-M50s are about $120 shipped, $110 at the cheapest.

I'm still a n00b myself, but I'd much prefer to save the $50 and get a DAC, an amp, or pay bills (you know, those things that are in Head-Fi's direct opposition).

Aug 14, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #1,286 of 1,750
Hi!

I own HM5's for 2 weeks. These are great headphones; when I just received them they were a bit dull and annoying, but after some burn-in they started to sound very-very good and pleasant!

But sadly burn-in also revealed channel imbalance on all frequencies ( right phone has wider soundstage and is louder than the left one ). 
frown.gif
 I checked this on different sources and double-checked with my friend on a blind test. I am very sensitive to such things and I can't just listen music with defective phones. 
frown.gif
 The problem is that I already sent my B2 IEM's to MP4Nation with exactly same problem! ( yes, I'm sure that the phones are defective and not my ears/ brain 
rolleyes.gif
 ).

So will it look strange from my side if I'll contact customer service with same reason?

Maybe there is a trick/ mod that will equal sound on both channels? 

Thanks.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #1,287 of 1,750
Quote:
Hi!

I own HM5's for 2 weeks. These are great headphones; when I just received them they were a bit dull and annoying, but after some burn-in they started to sound very-very good and pleasant!

But sadly burn-in also revealed channel imbalance on all frequencies ( right phone has wider soundstage and is louder than the left one ). 
frown.gif
 I checked this on different sources and double-checked with my friend on a blind test. I am very sensitive to such things and I can't just listen music with defective phones. 
frown.gif
 The problem is that I already sent my B2 IEM's to MP4Nation with exactly same problem! ( yes, I'm sure that the phones are defective and not my ears/ brain 
rolleyes.gif
 ).

So will it look strange from my side if I'll contact customer service with same reason?

Maybe there is a trick/ mod that will equal sound on both channels? 

Thanks.

Maybe you can use a balance control to try and equal them out, but honestly I would try to return or exchange them. That's not something you should have to deal with in a headphone.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #1,288 of 1,750
Quote:

Maybe you can use a balance control to try and equal them out, but honestly I would try to return or exchange them. That's not something you should have to deal with in a headphone.

Thanks for response.

I think in same way: headphones cannot be called "Studio Monitor" etc. if you get wrong instrument positioning... I'll sent back them after receive of replaced B2's.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #1,289 of 1,750
Quote:
I own both (I own the identical Jaycars, that's really the way to go IMHO), and the HM5/FA-003/Lindy/Soundmagic/Jaycar Pro Monitors blow the ATH-M50s out of the water.

Wow, there is even a SoundMAGIC rebrand of these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back