[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Jun 17, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #1,261 of 1,750
Quote:
This one is cheaper at $11, but only offers 120ohm and 240ohm. (you could ask them if they do 150ohm too)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Etymotic-ER4P-ER4S-3-5MM-plug-resistor-adaptor-/270986675386?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3f181084ba

I think 150ohm would be closer to bring 64ohm to 200ohm.

I've owned and used several of these things before (51, 150, 300 ohm). No way this will turn your headphones into a "High Edition". I can't say I paid too close attention to any changes in sound and I didn't notice anything really, but certainly nothing dramatic or that sounds like you've upgraded or something. If anything it's possible it would just make the sound worse as apparently these adapters actually raise the output impedance of your amp.

By the way, if anyone was planning to buy one of these, don't go for the cheaper ones made by "wemakeamp." Build quality is quite sub par IME.

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #1,262 of 1,750
Quote:

I've owned and used several of these things before (51, 150, 300 ohm). No way this will turn your headphones into a "High Edition". I can't say I paid too close attention to any changes in sound and I didn't notice anything really, but certainly nothing dramatic or that sounds like you've upgraded or something. If anything it's possible it would just make the sound worse as apparently these adapters actually raise the output impedance of your amp.

It's the same principle as ER4P 74ohm adapters, but they put the resisters in the high eddition FA-002W. Did your amp have enough juice to drive them properly?

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #1,264 of 1,750
Quote:
It's the same principle as ER4P 74ohm adapters, but they put the resisters in the high eddition FA-002W. Did your amp have enough juice to drive them properly?

Vintage Sansui G-5700. 75W RMS for speakers. Don't know exactly how much is coming out of the headphone jack, but people have used smaller amps to drive tougher headphones. Also did this with my Matrix Cube back when I had it. Should have had more than enough power I think.

Jun 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #1,265 of 1,750
Quote:
What does an ohm resistance adapter do/accomplish?

There was a thread about this very subject, but for the life of me I can't seem to find it. If I understand correctly (I'm not extremely knowledgeable on the technical stuff) messing with impedance can result in changes in frequency response. Don't know if you've heard of the whole 1/8 rule business? In the thread I was talking about people were explaining that the types of resistor adapters linked to above should serve the effect of raising the output impedance of the amplifier. There is another type of adapter you have to make if your goal is to lower output impedance.

Jun 17, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #1,266 of 1,750
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Good info to start with.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #1,268 of 1,750
Quote:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Good info to start with.

I've read through that and understand the dampening factor, but they all use different drivers so despite them tuned to sound similar, they're going to have differences. I guess a resistance adapter would best be used in applications of pairing a high output amp with a low resistance headphone? I just simply can't fathom how adding artificial resistance would change the sound, other than changing how much power is going to the drivers.

Jun 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #1,273 of 1,750
Personally I wouldn't recommend them for that genre at all. They are way too laid back IMO.

Are you talking about the DT880? Why do you think that?

Jun 17, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #1,275 of 1,750
Quote:
I've read through that and understand the dampening factor, but they all use different drivers so despite them tuned to sound similar, they're going to have differences. I guess a resistance adapter would best be used in applications of pairing a high output amp with a low resistance headphone? I just simply can't fathom how adding artificial resistance would change the sound, other than changing how much power is going to the drivers.

Well, a resistor adapter would change the overall sound because it would simulate having an amp with a higher output impedance. You can then use the impedance curve to calculate how the sound would change based on the resistor added and the amp's original output impedance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back