[REVIEW] Beresford TC-7510 MKIII DAC (56k warning)
Jun 2, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #211 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I reported back to Stanley after the mk4 mod that the larger caps had a bad influence on the headphone module (it increased the bass too much as to coloring the overall sound with a veil).

Is this coloring present only with the headphone module?

Jun 2, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #212 of 273
Just ordered this.... Let's see what will happen to my system next week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #213 of 273
Yes! I would be very interested in how the Beresford improves your HD595, as I'm contemplating purchasing one of my own!

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #214 of 273
OK, I got mine today, and I feel dynamic has been improved. Not sure about detail.... seems low-mid is a bit apparant compared to X-fi direct out.....

Update : Hmmm.... A huge improvement in bass. Both quantity and quality significantly increased.

Update 2 : A high is a bit recessed compared to X-fi I guess, but not much difference.

Jun 8, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #215 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I got mine today, and I feel dynamic has been improved. Not sure about detail.... seems low-mid is a bit apparant compared to X-fi direct out.....

Update : Hmmm.... A huge improvement in bass. Both quantity and quality significantly increased.

Update 2 : A high is a bit recessed compared to X-fi I guess, but not much difference.

May I know how were you connecting your TC7510 to your headphones? Through the headphone jack or Line-out to Amp to Headphones?

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #216 of 273
Line out to Headroom Micro.

So far, I found my setup with K701 is great. This really smooths K701's harsh high and generously improve bass response.

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #217 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirickle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone heard the MK-V yet?

I had one on loan for a while. It has a larger dynamic range and better detail than my MKIII when I use it with my own 5 Amp power supply that is set at 13.5V. There is an interesting discussion HERE where others have done the same. Well worth reading before you decide on your next DAC.

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #218 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I reported back to Stanley after the mk4 mod that the larger caps had a bad influence on the headphone module (it increased the bass too much as to coloring the overall sound with a veil).

I asked about this and the reply I got is not quite the same picture that you paint. From what I understand you modified your MKIII to the MKIV with a few parts you picked up locally. One of them was two capacitors. The original capacitors in the TC-7510 are high quality low ESR audio grade caps, whilst the ones you use were ordinary caps.
Well ordinary caps won't be anywhere as good and they would produce a muddled sound compared to audio caps.
I borrowed a MKV to compare against my MKIII and I felt that it was markedly better than the MKIII in some areas. But I don't need the headphone mod on my HD650 so I am not going to modify my MKIII.

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #220 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had one on loan for a while. It has a larger dynamic range and better detail than my MKIII when I use it with my own 5 Amp power supply that is set at 13.5V. There is an interesting discussion HERE where others have done the same. Well worth reading before you decide on your next DAC.

a few are interested in what 13.5v supply you're using

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #221 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked about this and the reply I got is not quite the same picture that you paint. From what I understand you modified your MKIII to the MKIV with a few parts you picked up locally. One of them was two capacitors. The original capacitors in the TC-7510 are high quality low ESR audio grade caps, whilst the ones you use were ordinary caps.
Well ordinary caps won't be anywhere as good and they would produce a muddled sound compared to audio caps.
I borrowed a MKV to compare against my MKIII and I felt that it was markedly better than the MKIII in some areas. But I don't need the headphone mod on my HD650 so I am not going to modify my MKIII.

I have to disagree. The original caps were nothing more than ordinary all-purpose caps from KME. http://download.siliconexpert.com/pd...C/KMEKMEH9.pdf

As you may have read, I tried various caps from various brands, including KME, Nichicon, and Philips. They are all general-purpose caps and they all sound different than each other with specific sound characteristics which i have mentioned in my earlier posts. I do not know what Stanley changed in his MKV version, but I did report back to him what I have heard from my various modding. The caps I used were the ones i carefully researched and found online. There were some "audiophile version" caps for a huge amount of money, but i doubt I or Stanley would use caps from such expensive category. I have not heard the MK V so i cannot say how it sounds like, but I doubt that these variations of MK III had significant part changes/design from such a short period of time.

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #222 of 273
sorry if I've misread/skipped a post. But I just read from page 1 to 12, and I'm still a bit confused on a few things.

I'm putting roman numeral and then a (number) in case i type the roman numeral wrong, the number i mean to mention will also be typed in ()

For the cases where users have mentioned a decrease in soundstage with the new caps on the MKIV (4), was this in headphone out only? or "both headphone out and the line out"

And is there already an MKV (5) for sure?
If so, the caps which produced the decreased soundstage[ in the MKIV (4)] have been changed? + the soundstage went back to the norm as it was in the MKIII (3) ?

I'm planning on getting the TC-7510 to mate up with a heed canamp I have coming to me in the following week, and all input on the TC-7510, whether related to my questions or not are greatly appreciated.

Jun 10, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #223 of 273
I believe the MK V will sound similar if not a bit better, than the MKIII. The cap mods i performed indeed colored the soundstage, both the headphone out and line out. I am in no way trying to promote or degrade this DAC, Im only reporting back what i have tried and heard.

Jun 11, 2007 at 10:39 AM Post #224 of 273
Hello everybody!

I'm thinking of buying this DAC for my Speaker-system that really needs a good source.

It's a pair of Canton Ergo RC-L that is put with a power amplifier named Vincent SP-331. Is this DAC what I should go for? Or do you guys think i'll should go for something more expensive?

The DAC is going to be fed through my computer and bit-perfect output.

And another question. Is it going to work to send for example a 96kHz/24bit signal to it? and is that even possible over the optical/koaxialcable?

thanks in advance
280smile.gif

Jun 12, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #225 of 273
IDK guys, I've been following this thread since it began and thought I'd share my experience w/ Stanley and my MKIII DAC.

I purchased my MKIII DAC a little over 3 months ago, it was actually when the MKIII first came out. It is a great little DAC. It isn't as analytical as my modded Zhaolu 1.3, but it is warmer and more energetic. Overall I would say that it is a fun DAC. (I don't mean that in a bad way)

I talked with Stanley for some time before purchasing the DAC and when I did shipping was very fast. However my DAC arrived damaged. Numerous places on the DAC had paint chips missing (not horrible, but noticeable nonetheless), the case was warped so that the DAC did not sit level, but instead it rocked back and forth (2 legs touched the rack and 2 did not. The two that touched were kitty-corner from each other), and the hiss from the headphone jack was much worse than I had expected with my HD595's.

I contacted Stanley about these issues and he offered a couple different alternatives. He would either refund my money completely, send out a replacement right away or let me wait until he perfected the headphone out and then send me a replacement.

I have periodically kept in touch with Stanley since then, and also kept an eye on the development of the DAC. Now, it seems that the MK-V edition has removed the hiss from the headphone amp so I contacted Stanley about getting a replacement DAC as per our arrangement. He responded telling me that he could no longer give me a replacement, but I would have to send my DAC all the way to him and have him do the upgrades. He has yet to get back to me with an address so I can check on shipping. But I am a bit upset. This was not part of our agreement and he is backing out because it is now inconvenient for him. I know that his original offer was very generous and was more than I had originally expected, but still he gave his word and is now backing out. What is more we both have his exact words in writing to refer to. I'm not sure what will come of it, but for the time being I'm frustrated and just wanted to let people know that while it may be a great product, and Stanley is quick to respond to emails not everything is always peachy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back