[REVIEW] Beresford TC-7510 MKIII DAC (56k warning)
Oct 1, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #256 of 273
Apparently the Beresford TC-7510 is up to Mk 6! Anyone have any experience with this newest version? It is supposedly a 'ground-up' redesign. The only information I could find on it (other than at Home HIFI) is this review. Any input?

EDIT: Somehow in all of my searches I missed this big thread. My search-fu skills have obviously failed me.
frown.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #257 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAmish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently the Beresford TC-7510 is up to Mk 6! Anyone have any experience with this newest version? It is supposedly a 'ground-up' redesign. The only information I could find on it (other than at Home HIFI) is this review. Any input?

EDIT: Somehow in all of my searches I missed this big thread. My search-fu skills have obviously failed me.
frown.gif

I have a 3 week old mk6, which I guess is now run in.
It's certainly great value for money from a functionality point of view, having a built in headphone amp, and 4 digital inputs. Unfortunately from a sonic perspective, it really isn't the giant killer that some might like it to be. Yes it's a fine unit, but was completely outclassed by my Bel Canto DAC2. Having said that, the DAC2 was a LOT more money when new.
So yes, I'd give the thumbs up to the mk6 as a good budget DAC. However, it simply doesn't compete with real high end stuff.

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #258 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by ptiJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello elreno,

Did you buy one of those two dacs ?
Are you happy with it ?

Thank you
3000smile.gif

Regards

Sorry for the late reply, I completely missed this post. No, I haven't bought anything as yet but after much deliberation I decided to go in a completely different direction and sold my HeadAmp AE-2 in favor of the upcoming HeadAmp Pico with the optional USB DAC. Even though this DAC is optional it seems like it's going to be something special, top of the line Wolfson DAC chip, upsampling and USB --> I2S conversion, no S/PDIF. All this in a package about the same size as a Tomahawk.

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #259 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sukebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So yes, I'd give the thumbs up to the mk6 as a good budget DAC. However, it simply doesn't compete with real high end stuff.

It comes reasonably close though.
By the way, anyone noticed that there is a shipping mistake on the US and Asia ordering page on the homehifi website? Like someone forgot to add the shipping cost when they changed the product ordering layout
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #260 of 273
would the mk6 be the best DAC under...say...$300? and how would it compare to the Stello DA100 (for those who have experience with both)? odd question i suppose, but i'm sort of undecided as to whether or not i want to go for the Beresford and maybe a Corda Arietta right now, or save my nickels and dimes for something like a DA100 and maybe a Gilmore Lite.

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #261 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would the mk6 be the best DAC under...say...$300? and how would it compare to the Stello DA100 (for those who have experience with both)? odd question i suppose, but i'm sort of undecided as to whether or not i want to go for the Beresford and maybe a Corda Arietta right now, or save my nickels and dimes for something like a DA100 and maybe a Gilmore Lite.

Go for the DA100
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #262 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would the mk6 be the best DAC under...say...$300? and how would it compare to the Stello DA100 (for those who have experience with both)

Without a doubt it is the best DAC below U$300 from stock. All the others need mods to produce anything competing.
There is a guy on hifiwigwam who has been slating the TC-7510 for months. He got a Stello, and ended up eating humble pie when he finally got to try a MK6. Join that forum just to send him a PM and ask him a few questions.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #263 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without a doubt it is the best DAC below U$300 from stock. All the others need mods to produce anything competing.

With all due respect, that's a matter of opinion and what you mean by "best". From purely an audio perpective, I prefer the sound of my Shrek NOS DAC to the 7510. However, the NOS doesn't have the number of digital inputs that I need for my AV kit, hence why I bought a mk6.

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #264 of 273
There are many who like NOS DACs, and when CD 1st came out I too liked it. But many music styles have evolved since the 80's that clearly have an extra edge with other types of DAC chips. Jarre electronic music is just one example. My Marvin Gaye selection on the other hand is OK with NOS, but a bit noisy with Sigma Delta or multi bit.

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #265 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many who like NOS DACs, and when CD 1st came out I too liked it. But many music styles have evolved since the 80's that clearly have an extra edge with other types of DAC chips. Jarre electronic music is just one example. My Marvin Gaye selection on the other hand is OK with NOS, but a bit noisy with Sigma Delta or multi bit.

So NOS DAC's work best with music styles in the 80's?

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #266 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So NOS DAC's work best with music styles in the 80's?

You are coming to the wrong conclusions. NOS appear to work best with "certain" types of music, seen from the point of the instruments. When electronic instruments such as synthesizers started to become popular, the NOS DAC chips appeared to be taking away something from the artificial sounds created by the synths. My guess is that this was down to the brickwall filters required at the output stage of the NOS chipset. Play a clossical record and then a JMJ record and listen to the tops on a NOS DAC. If you got a good set of tweeters and hearing, you can pick up the NOS filtering limit.

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #267 of 273
what's happening? I thought it was the best DAC under $10,000

then it was best under $1000

now it's been reduced to under $300?

some people just prefer the NOS sound, others prefer the OS sound.

and then there's people who appreciate both and own both

you can't place absolutes in this hobby. equipment pairing is another factor...

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #270 of 273
rofl!!!

I agree though. Herandu has brought some great information to this thread and other threads like this one about the Beresford DACs. I own one and they are a good value for the money, I will not argue there. But Herandu is obviously a fanboy and his/her comments about just how good the DACs are should be taken with a grain of salt. If you want information on mods, that's a whole 'nother story...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back