[REVIEW] Beresford TC-7510 MKIII DAC (56k warning)
May 20, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #196 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the thing about the headphone amp on the TC-7510. It might get a bit of stick from time to time, but that's when it is compared to a stand alone headphone amp costing as much as the DAC. The speed of the sound is amazing. My HD650 actually sounds far nicer on the TC-7510. the HD650 sounds far too warm on anything else with a headphone socket in my house. The TC-7510 gives it a far more controlled sound that doesn't sound as if someone turned up the reverb on the mixing desk. If you ever listen to the Usher track Simple Things, you can hear his backing vocalists chatting away in the background when you use the headphone amp. I can't quite pick it up so clearly on my speakers though. And there are many other sounds I can pick up via the headphone socket which the rest of my system struggles to resolve. I wish this thing could allow me to use the inbuilt headphone amp as a HP amp for my phono preamp.

Well, I do not use the headphone socket on the Beresford. I have not done the DIY and don't intend to. Instead, I feed its analog outs to an X-can V3 and that works for me.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #197 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by uofmtiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I do not use the headphone socket on the Beresford. I have not done the DIY and don't intend to. Instead, I feed its analog outs to an X-can V3 and that works for me.
biggrin.gif

Definitely a greater soundstage, depth, punch with this amped setup. But if you have hi-imped cans and haven't tried the Beresford hp put* yet, you're in for a very pleasant surprise. There's a clarity that's very analytical, almost like a reference dac/amp that works hard at not imposing a unique sound signature. Still, for listening enjoyment, adding a healthy amp is the only way to go.
lambda.gif

EDIT: "out" not "put"

May 21, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #198 of 273
A friend of mine on another forum bought the MKV and the digital cable as a package. I took my MKIII to him yesterday so we could get drunk and compare the two versions. Line output wise they are the same, which means outstanding
lambda.gif
. The headphone noise is however non existent in the MKV, whilst I can just about hear it on the MKIII on my low impedance cans. My HD650 is fine on both though.
I saw the details of the various mods listed on another forum. The MKIV was apparently tweaked a bit too much on the headphone, so it was rolled back a bit on the MKV. That's the final version I heard.
My mate thought the digital cable was brilliant,which is what I knew anyhow. We tried them as ordinary audio lead as well between pre and poweramp, and I must say that they sounded better than my regular cables. I am sure the secret is in that LARGE amount of copper they use.

Someone told me that students get a discount. Anyone here a student who bought on of the TC-7510? Does it include a discount on the cable as well? I got a friend in Holland who wants one to take to uni, but he isn't sure how this student thing works. DO you have to perhaps provide proof you are a student or what? Anybody?

May 21, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #199 of 273
Quote:

A friend of mine on another forum bought the MKV and the digital cable as a package. I took my MKIII to him yesterday so we could get drunk and compare the two versions. Line output wise they are the same, which means outstanding
lambda.gif
. The headphone noise is however non existent in the MKV, whilst I can just about hear it on the MKIII on my low impedance cans. My HD650 is fine on both though.
I saw the details of the various mods listed on another forum. The MKIV was apparently tweaked a bit too much on the headphone, so it was rolled back a bit on the MKV. That's the final version I heard.
My mate thought the digital cable was brilliant,which is what I knew anyhow. We tried them as ordinary audio lead as well between pre and poweramp, and I must say that they sounded better than my regular cables. I am sure the secret is in that LARGE amount of copper they use.

Someone told me that students get a discount. Anyone here a student who bought on of the TC-7510? Does it include a discount on the cable as well? I got a friend in Holland who wants one to take to uni, but he isn't sure how this student thing works. DO you have to perhaps provide proof you are a student or what? Anybody?

Hi, Herandu. I'm still planning to get the 2-meter coax when it becomes available. Re "student" -- I believe all Stanley requires is a university address, which usually ends with "edu" and includes part of the name of the college in the address. But I'm not 100% certain on this.

May 21, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #200 of 273
Quote:

lambda.gif

I reported back to Stanley after the mk4 mod that the larger caps had a bad influence on the headphone module (it increased the bass too much as to coloring the overall sound with a veil). To improve the headphone sound on both the mkiii and mkv, get a good Toslink cable, you'll be surprised.
smily_headphones1.gif

PS. How much discount for students?

May 21, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #201 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I reported back to Stanley after the mk4 mod that the larger caps had a bad influence on the headphone module (it increased the bass too much as to coloring the overall sound with a veil).
PS. How much discount for students?

So you are the one who caused the MK-V to be released!

No idea how much discount students get. I knew it used to be up 20% one time when it was U$200.

May 28, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #202 of 273
Hi all, my current pc configuration is a M-audio transit --> Cmoy (op2227) --> HD595. Would the Beresford be a good next step in upgrading? Or would upgrading my headphones or amp be more prudent?

I find the HD595s a bit muffled, a little warm for my tastes, although they can occasionally sound quite brilliant. Penguindude, did you find this to be the case for your 595s at first? I've had them for only a week. How did upgrading your source and amp change the sound of the 595s?

Also, would you people suggest getting the Chaintech AV710 over the Transit I have now? The Transit also has an optical out, and as far as I can tell, the Transit/AV710 would only serve as a transport for the sound to the DAC, so it doesn't seem necessary to buy another sound card. Only thing is the Transit is connected via USB and the Chaintech is PCI. Any advantages for PCI there?

And one last question: what is this "bit-perfect" I keep hearing about? Is this something we have to configure on the sound card?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

May 28, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #203 of 273
BTW, has anyone compared the Beresford to the EMU 0404 USB? Which is a better solution for desktop PCs?

May 29, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #205 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, has anyone compared the Beresford to the EMU 0404 USB? Which is a better solution for desktop PCs?

Hey guys, I'm interested to know about a comparison between the 2 and maybe with a lite-ah if possible?

Thanks

May 29, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #206 of 273
unfortunately the Beresford does not have USB input...

May 29, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #207 of 273
I have a TEC TC-7510 MKIV & a Modified DAC-AH. I wouldn't say one is better than the other. The TC-7510 has more detail but the DAC-AH can sound nicer with certain music. I am using the TEC with my iMac digital out to a Talisman T-3H as my main set-up at the moment because I like the detail & it's more enjoyable for a wider range of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back