[Review] Battle of the Entry-Level Rivals: Ultrasone HFI-580 vs Audio Technica M50 (vs Pro700 MK2)
Feb 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #76 of 146
This thread has been great in helping me get my bearings. My inner basshead needs feeding and the M50 is just too skimpy. Thanks for writing up the review Crinacle

N

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #78 of 146
Feb 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #80 of 146
i just got my 700mk2's wasn't sure of the sound at first. It felt like the mids were not as up front as i'm use too but they sound great with dub/dnb etc. i put on some m50 pads straight away so can't really compare to stock pad yet but will.  The bass is really fantastic and i am glad i purchased these cans. buying a Fiio e17 Dac so hopefully will improve the sound a little more. Do i need to burn in theses cans?

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #81 of 146

Quote:
i just got my 700mk2's wasn't sure of the sound at first. It felt like the mids were not as up front as i'm use too but they sound great with dub/dnb etc. i put on some m50 pads straight away so can't really compare to stock pad yet but will.  The bass is really fantastic and i am glad i purchased these cans. buying a Fiio e17 Dac so hopefully will improve the sound a little more. Do i need to burn in theses cans?

Glad you like them. I recommend at least 50 hours of burn in, but I can't say for sure as I used a post-burn in set. An E17 would be a great combination though, especially with the treble boost function that may be good for the Pro700's lack thereof.

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #82 of 146
I find they have alot of treble (ear piercing kinda) and on some tracks hardly any mids. how do you find the sound? after EQ'ing they sound great. What do you think of them?

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #83 of 146

Quote:
I find they have alot of treble (ear piercing kinda) and on some tracks hardly any mids. how do you find the sound? after EQ'ing they sound great. What do you think of them?

I find the mids recessed as well. From what I can still remember (I do not own a Pro700) the highs are pretty variable, which I assume is from a spike somewhere within the attenuated treble. And the E17 also has a treble reducer if you didn't know :D

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #84 of 146

Quote:

I find the mids recessed as well. From what I can still remember (I do not own a Pro700) the highs are pretty variable, which I assume is from a spike somewhere within the attenuated treble. And the E17 also has a treble reducer if you didn't know :D

Thanks crinacle! sound like i will be getting the E17 soon when i can find someone in AUS with stock. I take if from your sign you have the Ultrasone 580's. I think my next cans will be Ultrasones :) Pro900 as i hear the sub bass is great :)

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #85 of 146
Was considering the Pro700 Mk.2...
I love bass, but I don't like the price of muddyness that is common in bass head phones. 
I was quite sure I was gong to pick up these...
Until I saw this.
"it takes away the magical M50 vocal reproduction and instead replaces it with a slightly muddied sound"

Ugh, not a fan. Is it severely muddled? 
As in: Beats by Dre levels?

I listen to alot of hip-hop/rap/and R&b, where not only the bass is important, but I expect the vocals to be sharp and clear and have a little bit of a treble boost to go along with the bass.
I didn't like the XB500 - it's just so muddled, and the bass sounded too boomy and uncharacteristic for me.
M50- not looking for an all-rounder, I only listen to a very small amount of genres. Insufficient bass for me. 
HFI-580- insufficient bass needs, no removable cable. ( this is a necessity for me, I am used to the portability of an IEM. )  
Is the Pro700 Mk.2 good enough to where the vocals are still borderline decent?? I really wish I could listen to it.

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #86 of 146

Quote:
Was considering the Pro700 Mk.2...
I love bass, but I don't like the price of muddyness that is common in bass head phones. 
I was quite sure I was gong to pick up these...
Until I saw this.
"it takes away the magical M50 vocal reproduction and instead replaces it with a slightly muddied sound"

Ugh, not a fan. Is it severely muddled? 
As in: Beats by Dre levels?

I listen to alot of hip-hop/rap/and R&b, where not only the bass is important, but I expect the vocals to be sharp and clear and have a little bit of a treble boost to go along with the bass.
I didn't like the XB500 - it's just so muddled, and the bass sounded too boomy and uncharacteristic for me.
M50- not looking for an all-rounder, I only listen to a very small amount of genres. Insufficient bass for me. 
HFI-580- insufficient bass needs, no removable cable. ( this is a necessity for me, I am used to the portability of an IEM. )  
Is the Pro700 Mk.2 good enough to where the vocals are still borderline decent?? I really wish I could listen to it.

Go with M-Audio Q40, you won't be disappointed, its boosted bass response quality is hard to beat in this price range, doesn't mudden up the vocals or anything even in the most bassheavy songs and they stay very sharp and clear despite being very bassy. You should have some basic amp to get most out of it though, otherwise you might be disappointed basswise, it's still more than HFI-580 but if you add amp it improves quite a bit further too.

I think the mids are better than on M50 and the highs are less metallic, more neutral sounding. It's hard to get the bass you're looking for without severly impacting on the mids etc, Q40 should satisfy you on that end. PRO900 is another option but it's expensier and works mostly for electronic music, Q40 is a bit more well suited allrounder as the mids aren't recessed.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #87 of 146

Quote:
Go with M-Audio Q40, you won't be disappointed, its boosted bass response quality is hard to beat in this price range, doesn't mudden up the vocals or anything even in the most bassheavy songs and they stay very sharp and clear despite being very bassy. You should have some basic amp to get most out of it though, otherwise you might be disappointed basswise, it's still more than HFI-580 but if you add amp it improves quite a bit further too.

I think the mids are better than on M50 and the highs are less metallic, more neutral sounding. It's hard to get the bass you're looking for without severly impacting on the mids etc, Q40 should satisfy you on that end. PRO900 is another option but it's expensier and works mostly for electronic music, Q40 is a bit more well suited allrounder as the mids aren't recessed.

Have you listened to the Pro700Mk.2?
I was considering the Q40's but then I saw the Pro700 for a higher price, so I thought it was probably better.

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #88 of 146

Quote:
Have you listened to the Pro700Mk.2?
I was considering the Q40's but then I saw the Pro700 for a higher price, so I thought it was probably better.

Price isn't something you should follow as a guideline for what should give you most satisfaction, I think the $30 Panasonic HTF600 beats ATH-M50 (paid 140 EUR), BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro (I think I paid 145 EUR or something like that) or V-Moda Crossfade LP2 (paid 159 EUR) for example, well beats them as in giving me more satisfaction in the sound, doesn't have to be technically "superior" sound, it's about what you're looking for. Q40 seems to fit your needs, PRO700MK2 probably quite well too but the Q40 based on all reviews I've read about both headphones and my experiences of Q40 I'd expect more recessed and muffled midrange from the PRO700MK2 and it's probably slightly bassier but yea Q40 I'd expect to have clearer/"sharper" not recessed midrange and better bass texture that doesn't overhelm the rest of the range which PRO700MK2 seems to do to some extent.

It's the recessed, somewhat muffled midrange for the asking price and the bassbleeding what has kept me away from PRO700MK2 based on feedback I've read about them. Q40 I can't find much negative opinions of though, I've seen people praising them to give better satisfaction than some 200~$300 headphones (wasn't Beats or something like that)... The negative sides are on the build quality, questionable stock cord (replacable) and I've seen some report(s) of dying drivers but hardly any complaints about the sound.

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #89 of 146

Quote:
Price isn't something you should follow as a guideline for what should give you most satisfaction, I think the $30 Panasonic HTF600 beats ATH-M50 (paid 140 EUR), BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro (I think I paid 145 EUR or something like that) or V-Moda Crossfade LP2 (paid 159 EUR) for example, well beats them as in giving me more satisfaction in the sound, doesn't have to be technically "superior" sound, it's about what you're looking for. Q40 seems to fit your needs, PRO700MK2 probably quite well too but the Q40 based on all reviews I've read about both headphones and my experiences of Q40 I'd expect more recessed and muffled midrange from the PRO700MK2 and it's probably slightly bassier but yea Q40 I'd expect to have clearer/"sharper" not recessed midrange and better bass texture that doesn't overhelm the rest of the range which PRO700MK2 seems to do to some extent.

It's the recessed, somewhat muffled midrange for the asking price and the bassbleeding what has kept me away from PRO700MK2 based on feedback I've read about them. Q40 I can't find much negative opinions of though, I've seen people praising them to give better satisfaction than some 200~$300 headphones (wasn't Beats or something like that)... The negative sides are on the build quality, questionable stock cord (replacable) and I've seen some report(s) of dying drivers but hardly any complaints about the sound.

Hmm.... Sounds great. Will keep Q40 in my head. But I don't think I will completely forget about the Pro700 either,I think I'll wait for a few more reviews.

Also, If I do get the Q40, or even the Pro700 I might need to find a different cable - 9 feet is a bit too much for portable use..
Not looking for DIY...

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #90 of 146

Quote:
Hmm.... Sounds great. Will keep Q40 in my head. But I don't think I will completely forget about the Pro700 either,I think I'll wait for a few more reviews.

Also, If I do get the Q40, or even the Pro700 I might need to find a different cable - 9 feet is a bit too much for portable use..
Not looking for DIY...

Are you gonna use that large headphones for portable use, PRO700MK2 and Q40 are quite large... especially Q40's cups are quite large, wouldn't be comfortable to keep around your neck at least. :p But at least they fold tho for easier transporting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back