[Review] Battle of the Entry-Level Rivals: Ultrasone HFI-580 vs Audio Technica M50 (vs Pro700 MK2)
Apr 3, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #136 of 146
Apr 3, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #137 of 146
Quote:
Quote:
ESMOOTH ES821EB, Sennheiser HD 449, Sennheiser HD 439, Kicker HP541, Denon AH-D1100, Ultrasone HFI-580, Shure SRH550DJ, Ultrasone DJ1!

That's interesting that one could find the DJ1 that superior to the 580. Apparently Ultrasone has stated the DJ1 and the HFI-580 are the same headphone in terms of sound. But who are they to know
rolleyes.gif

It must be the coiled cable... it creates a reality-warping distortion field.

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #138 of 146
I don't know why the M-Audio Q40 is not recommended more often when these "budget" headphone conversations start (nor the Shure SRH440s...) I'd pick either one of these any day of the week over the M50s or the low-budget ultrasones. (To my ears, better sound quality and even comfort...)

I do have to say though that I had/have mine with different earpads... the Q40 with Beyer velour earpads and the Shure SRH440s with SRH840 earpads!

Hopefully zardak wont buy any of those because his new DJ1s might go on sale the next day and they will turn to "crap"... :wink:

(cheap shot I know...)

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #139 of 146
Quote:
Hopefully zardak wont buy any of those because his new DJ1s might go on sale the next day and they will turn to "crap"... :wink:

But what if he's right this time?  Yeah, I know he's 0 for 7, but since they're all independent trials this might just be the one! 
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #140 of 146
Wow, he really nailed the mini-sub review of ATH-PRO700MK2s. I've been using them with M50 pads for a few days and I just couldn't bear how recessed the mids were with them. Switched to the regular pads, comfort is much worse but I think it's worth the pain :)

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #141 of 146
Nice review.

Been using my HFI-580 for a while now. Recently got the Shure 940 Valour pads, they fit as well. Just a tiny bit loose, but it isn't really a problem when using it. It's much more comfy though :)

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #142 of 146
I can easily agree with gelocks about the Shure 440's, they are the bomb.

The 440's are by far a better headphone than the M-50's by a country mile. They also sound easily superior to the Pro 700 MK II's, and they definitely sound better than Shure's own 840's (i was A/B/ing between them for one hour with all kinds of different music, price was not the issue for me). Will be doing a review on the 440's in the next few hours.
Anyone care to tell me where i can get a better sounding headphone than the 440's (at any price), What, you can't? Thought so, because you will definitely have a very hard time naming a better headphone anywhere on the planet at any price, and i don't give a frogs ass what any technical graph says about the frequency response on the 440's, i know what i'm hearing, and it doesn't get much better than this.

The 440's deserve to have the reputation which the Audio Technica M-50's have. The 440's should be the standard for every beginner who is looking to jump into elite audiophile territory right from the beginning. IMO the Shure 440's should be the ones selling like hotcakes, not that lame duck known as Audio Technica M-50.
I think any responsible headfier in these forums should see it as their duty to recommend the 440 over the M-50 every time. Audio Technica is making squillions off a wonky mut, simply because deaf goofbags keep recommending the damn things, so cut it the fu_k out and start recommending the Shure 440's.  

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #143 of 146
Quote:

The 440's are by far a better headphone than the M-50's by a country mile. They also sound easily superior to the Pro 700 MK II's, and they definitely sound better than Shure's own 840's (i was A/B/ing between them for one hour with all kinds of different music, price was not the issue for me). Will be doing a review on the 440's in the next few hours.
Anyone care to tell me where i can get a better sounding headphone than the 440's (at any price), What, you can't? Thought so, because you will definitely have a very hard time naming a better headphone anywhere on the planet at any price, and i don't give a frogs ass what any technical graph says about the frequency response on the 440's, i know what i'm hearing, and it doesn't get much better than this.

The 440's deserve to have the reputation which the Audio Technica M-50's have. The 440's should be the standard for every beginner who is looking to jump into elite audiophile territory right from the beginning. IMO the Shure 440's should be the ones selling like hotcakes, not that lame duck known as Audio Technica M-50.
I think any responsible headfier in these forums should see it as their duty to recommend the 440 over the M-50 every time. Audio Technica is making squillions off a wonky mut, simply because deaf goofbags keep recommending the damn things, so cut it the fu_k out and start recommending the Shure 440's.  

Actually, I can mention you a few... Since it seems you like a bit more of a "neutral-ish" presentation, you might actually love the following:

Ultrasone Signature Pro
MrSpeakers Mad Dogs
Denon D5000 (Lawton-modded)
KEF M500
PSB M4U 1

If you can try them at any point in time, let me know if you like 'em and how they fare against your tastes. I personally would select any of them over the Shure SRH440s even though I still love Shure! :wink:

Good luck!

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #144 of 146

Actually, I can mention you a few... Since it seems you like a bit more of a "neutral-ish" presentation, you might actually love the following:

Ultrasone Signature Pro
MrSpeakers Mad Dogs
Denon D5000 (Lawton-modded)
KEF M500
PSB M4U 1

If you can try them at any point in time, let me know if you like 'em and how they fare against your tastes. I personally would select any of them over the Shure SRH440s even though I still love Shure! :wink:

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back