[Review] Battle of the Entry-Level Rivals: Ultrasone HFI-580 vs Audio Technica M50 (vs Pro700 MK2)
Feb 10, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #61 of 146

Quote:

Interesting. I cranked my bass up to very high amounts with my 580's. I never had a problem. The only time I had "rattling" noises was when I had a defective (r) driver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XfF-szmlgQ

Sounded exactly like that on the left side. The right side made no noise. I don't know if it's defective or it couldn't handle that amount of bass. Every other song seemed fine except for that one track with the settings I used on my amp.

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #62 of 146

Quote:
Sounded exactly like that on the left side. The right side made no noise. I don't know if it's defective or it couldn't handle that amount of bass. Every other song seemed fine except for that one track with the settings I used on my amp.

It's defective. I returned it and bought new ones that have no problem even at higher bass levels than before. Once you get a working pair, the bass is excellent. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592742/did-i-destroy-the-right-side-driver-on-my-hfi-580-because-of-massive-bass

Where did you buy yours from?

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #63 of 146

Quote:

It's defective. I returned it and bought new ones that have no problem even at higher bass levels than before. Once you get a working pair, the bass is excellent. 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592742/did-i-destroy-the-right-side-driver-on-my-hfi-580-because-of-massive-bass

Where did you buy yours from?

I bought them from B&H Photo. Good thing they have a good return policy.

I'm going to stick with trying the MK2s or something similar anyway. I don't happen to enjoy the sound all that much in the HFI-580 and the quality is a concern now that I see the same problem happening in your case.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #64 of 146

Quote:

I bought them from B&H Photo. Good thing they have a good return policy.

I'm going to stick with trying the MK2s or something similar anyway. I don't happen to enjoy the sound all that much in the HFI-580 and the quality is a concern now that I see the same problem happening in your case.

That's interesting. How long ago did you buy it because I bought mine from there too. 
You don't like the sound? The lows, mids, and highs of the Mk2 are not going to sound as clear as the 580s, but definitely post your impressions since I was also going to go with the MK2. 

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #65 of 146
That's interesting. How long ago did you buy it because I bought mine from there too. 
You don't like the sound? The lows, mids, and highs of the Mk2 are not going to sound as clear as the 580s, but definitely post your impressions since I was also going to go with the MK2. 

Have you tried the MK2's? They do a GREAT job at keeping the mids clear from the bowel shaking bass. I've tried both headphones for bass head cans and prefer the MK2's because not only is their bass deeper but they keep everything real clean, I would say perhaps even equally as clean as the 580. Not muddy at all.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #66 of 146

Quote:
Have you tried the MK2's? They do a GREAT job at keeping the mids clear from the bowel shaking bass. I've tried both headphones for bass head cans and prefer the MK2's because not only is their bass deeper but they keep everything real clean, I would say perhaps even equally as clean as the 580. Not muddy at all.

I was strongly considering the MK2 over the 580 and own the Pro 900. I was told by many people who own the MK2 that it will be noticeable muddier. I also decided that the MK2 will be too dark from my taste as I am use to the brighter Ultrasone Signature. 
I would still love the hear the MK2 but I can't find a place that have them on floor display. 

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #67 of 146

Quote:

I bought them 1 week ago from there. Bad batch? Perhaps.

I don't really want them as clear as the 580s. To me, it's too much sparkle. I'll let you know what I think once I get them.

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #68 of 146

Quote:
I bought them 1 week ago from there. Bad batch? Perhaps.

I don't really want them as clear as the 580s. To me, it's too much sparkle. I'll let you know what I think once I get them.

Possibly. I bought mine 2 weeks ago and returned them about 3 days after.

Ok, then the Pro700 might be perfect. Are you going to buy the M50 pads?

Feb 10, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #69 of 146

Quote:
Possibly. I bought mine 2 weeks ago and returned them about 3 days after.

Ok, then the Pro700 might be perfect. Are you going to buy the M50 pads?

Nah, I'll just use the pads from the M50s I already have.  :)

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #70 of 146

Quote:
I have some interesting findings with my comparison of the M50 vs HFI-580.

I cranked the bass and volume up on my FiiO E17 amp in a head to head test.

Bass: +10
Gain: +6dB
Volume: 42
Track: How Low by Ludacris

The 580s can't handle the bass notes. I hear and feel rattling noise coming from the cup. I have to take it down to Volume (30), and Bass (+6)  in order for it to be safe for the headphones. It didn't sound anywhere as good as the M50s at these same levels.

Meanwhile, the M50s handle it like a champ with lots of smooth bass impact, and it's still crystal clear. This is very surprising. I think this experiment is over. The 580s are going back and I will probably buy a pair of MK2s to compare now.

So just to confirm, this is because of a faulty driver right? Didn't remember anyone having quality control issues on the HFI-580.

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #71 of 146
Well, one way to find out is to replicate my findings with the same/similar gear and settings.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #72 of 146
Ive tried both the M50 and the stock pads on the PRO700's and prefer the stock ones. Neither are circumaural and I'm just not sure why I can't put my finger on why I dont like the M50's pads more on the PRO700.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #73 of 146

Quote:
Ive tried both the M50 and the stock pads on the PRO700's and prefer the stock ones. Neither are circumaural and I'm just not sure why I can't put my finger on why I dont like the M50's pads more on the PRO700.

My guess would be the overly darkish effect the pads have on the Pro700's sound.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #74 of 146
The MK2's are out of stock everywhere, so I did the next best (reckless) thing. I bought the MK2 Anniversary Edition. Lol.

I'll let you know what I think of them once I get them on Wednesday.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #75 of 146
Holy crap man, that is reckless. I'm super jealous. I think you'll really like them. Take some good pictures, I'd love to see them up close and personal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back