[Review] Battle of the Entry-Level Rivals: Ultrasone HFI-580 vs Audio Technica M50 (vs Pro700 MK2)
Jan 6, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #46 of 146
Hey, I like to listen to a lot of techno/house, rap/hip hop, r&b, and reggae, but a little alternative here and there. I do like my bass quite a bit too, but not to the point of hurting the overall sound quality too much. The only other thing I've owned are apple earbuds so i'll be happy with either. But overall, do you think I should go with the 700's or the m50's?

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #47 of 146
Hey, I like to listen to a lot of techno/house, rap/hip hop, r&b, and reggae, but a little alternative here and there. I do like my bass quite a bit too, but not to the point of hurting the overall sound quality too much. The only other thing I've owned are apple earbuds so i'll be happy with either. But overall, do you think I should go with the 700's or the m50's?

The M50's are better all 'rounder headphones and will be your best first step into this new world of a quality listening experience. I have a lot of time with the M50's and own a pair of 700's, and the bass on the 700's is both impressive and oppressive at times. I only use my 700's when I want to rock my entire head with bass. The M50's are going to help you explore a little better, while still affording a good moderately bassy sound to the music you already listen to.

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #48 of 146
I find it amusing that the M50 is entry level headphone since that headphone is sonically as good as it gets for a lot of people.  Pros use it as their go to headphone when they need a closed pair of headphones.  And yet for Head-Fi these are entry level.  This is the best studio headphone that Audio Technica, the 2nd best selling manufacturer of professional audio equipment, makes.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #51 of 146
Thanks for the review.

You have helped me completely rule out the M50. I also got tricked into buying "bass-heavy" headphones that barely had enough bass (M-80). I would've been disappointed with the M50 LE that I was considering.

I now have my eyes set on the Pro700MK2 or the M100 when they come out. This should be an interesting match-up.

Quote:
This may be a little off topic, but I was wondering how any of these compare to that'd the ultras one pro 900's.

I'm interested in this too. I'm basically looking for a portable version of my Pro 900's.

I'm still deciding between the HFI-580 and Pro700. I like the bass of the Pro700 but the clarity of the HFI-580. I've read that the Pro700 are warmer with more laid-back mids and treble which is a little concerning. I love the brightness of my Pro 900.

I was considering the HFI-580 until I read this comment which sounds like the HFI-580 is a complete step down from the Pro 900. At least the Pro700MK2 has more bass quantity...

Quote:
In addition to what's already mentioned by others, I find the pro900s to be more punchy, yet not muddy at all. The bass on the 580s almost seem lacking after using my 900s for a while. I also find the pro900s to be much more comfortable. The harder earpads on the 580s gave me clamping issues after a few hours. The 900s are larger than the 580s though and I wouldn't recommend using them outside.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #52 of 146

Quote:
Thanks for the review.

You have helped me completely rule out the M50. I also got tricked into buying "bass-heavy" headphones that barely had enough bass (M-80). I would've been disappointed with the M50 LE that I was considering.

I now have my eyes set on the Pro700MK2 or the M100 when they come out. This should be an interesting match-up.

I'm interested in this too. I'm basically looking for a portable version of my Pro 900's.

I'm still deciding between the HFI-580 and Pro700. I like the bass of the Pro700 but the clarity of the HFI-580. I've read that the Pro700 are warmer with more laid-back mids and treble which is a little concerning. I love the brightness of my Pro 900.

I was considering the HFI-580 until I read this comment which sounds like the HFI-580 is a complete step down from the Pro 900. At least the Pro700MK2 has more bass quantity...

You're welcome. If you're looking for bright 'n bassy portables, I would consider the HD25. It doesn't have the sheer volume of the Pro 900's bass but instead has immense PRaT and picks up rhythm really well.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #53 of 146

Quote:

You're welcome. If you're looking for bright 'n bassy portables, I would consider the HD25. It doesn't have the sheer volume of the Pro 900's bass but instead has immense PRaT and picks up rhythm really well.

I'm looking for something that is full-sized, similar to the size of the V-Moda LP-series.
I'd probably think the HD25 is anemic is terms of bass. I had the M80s which are supposed to have more bass than the HD25. I returned the M80 because they weren't nearly as much bass as I wanted.

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #54 of 146
nice review!  do the pro700mk2 take any standard headphone cable or is it limited to a specific type cable by audio-technica?  I only ask because the headphones seem to need to be screwed on.  which of these headphones do you think would be better for jrock and pop?

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #55 of 146
nice review!  do the pro700mk2 take any standard headphone cable or is it limited to a specific type cable by audio-technica?  I only ask because the headphones seem to need to be screwed on.  which of these headphones do you think would be better for jrock and pop?

It is both. The PRO700MK2's can take any headphone cable, but can also use AT's cables with the built in screw. However if you're interested in jrock and jpop I would go for the M50's over the PRO700's. The PRO700's are literal assault of bass on your ears. I'm pretty sure they shake like subwoofers. Because Jpop and Jrock arn't super bass emphasizers, but still rely on it, the M50's are a nice middle ground. I only use my PRO700's for dubstep, rap, electronica/techno/house etc.

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #56 of 146
Interesting, I just found this thread today after already having the M50s and buying the 580s a week ago.

I bought the HFI-580s to compare between the two. What I've found is that the 580s bass is sharper and louder than the M50s on certain notes. The highs are also brighter. However, the M50s just do everything well. The bass is smoother than the 580s as well as the mids and highs. I amp both of these headphones and M50s just make you smile and makes you feel warm inside. I am still looking for that one thing the 580s is doing better to push it past the M50s, but I haven't heard it yet. They are just too mechanical/sparkly.

I also wouldn't call either of these headphones "entry-level". They both exceed anything for beginners.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #58 of 146
I have some interesting findings with my comparison of the M50 vs HFI-580.

I cranked the bass and volume up on my FiiO E17 amp in a head to head test.

Bass: +10
Gain: +6dB
Volume: 42
Track: How Low by Ludacris

The 580s can't handle the bass notes. I hear and feel rattling noise coming from the cup. I have to take it down to Volume (30), and Bass (+6)  in order for it to be safe for the headphones. It didn't sound anywhere as good as the M50s at these same levels.

Meanwhile, the M50s handle it like a champ with lots of smooth bass impact, and it's still crystal clear. This is very surprising. I think this experiment is over. The 580s are going back and I will probably buy a pair of MK2s to compare now.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #59 of 146

Quote:
I have some interesting findings with my comparison of the M50 vs HFI-580.

I cranked the bass and volume up on my FiiO E17 amp in a head to head test.

Bass: +10
Gain: +6dB
Volume: 42
Track: How Low by Ludacris

The 580s can't handle the bass notes. I hear and feel rattling noise coming from the cup. I have to take it down to Volume (30), and Bass (+6)  in order for it to be safe for the headphones. It didn't sound anywhere as good as the M50s at these same levels.

Meanwhile, the M50s handle it like a champ with lots of smooth bass impact, and it's still crystal clear. This is very surprising. I think this experiment is over. The 580s are going back and I will probably buy a pair of MK2s to compare now.

Interesting. I cranked my bass up to very high amounts with my 580's. I never had a problem. The only time I had "rattling" noises was when I had a defective (r) driver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XfF-szmlgQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back