REVIEW: B&W (Bowers & Wilkins) P5 Headphones
Oct 30, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #361 of 375

Quote:

Every headphone on Head-Fi causes a 2 or 3-digit page controversy. That's the nature of the beast of an audio forum.

Why would we want to compare a headphone, especially a $300 one thats worth $180 to top-of-the-line loudspeakers? Do we compare mountain bikes or motorcycles to cars?

I have owned many headphones in 37 years of being a audio hobbyist, and very few have been too bright to my ears. Maybe headphones in the last 5 years, just like engineers over compressing recordings, have been tilted upwards, but audio goes back a long way before solid state.
And.. one has to think...is it the headphones or the recordings?

On another note, when I bought my P5's it was stated by B&W that they rolled off the highs and lows to allow the listener to enjoy the mids without distortion getting in the way. So, right there, it goes back to backing up my statement about some of the sounds being missing in the presentation of the P5's. Remove frequencies, remove sounds. Like a 128 kbps .mp3.

OOOOORAHHHHHHHHH Tell it to that hound dog BARK
deadhorse.gif
BARK

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #362 of 375
I thought that hound dogs had a great sense of smell, not hearing. I had a burrito the other night that caused after effects that would have sent any hound dog into a frenzy!!!

Nov 1, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #364 of 375
Hehhe ok... 3 digit is a super wow then... Anyway just an input that the eardrum is another diaphragm and the brain the processor of sounds.... So every single individual will hear things differently...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #366 of 375
Question oughta be why you're even looking at anything from bose or monster at all, considering they're inferior to so many other headphones from real hifi brands.

Feb 10, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #367 of 375
Cause thats what everyone has. But I am asking if the B&W p5's are better than monster or bose. Those are mainstream and thats what everyone knows about and would purchase seeing how i'm in high school.

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #368 of 375
Wow, what a controversy these have become 
tongue.gif

I have been looking at these for a while and figured yesterday to have a gander. I went to my local hi-fi shop and tested them quite thoroughly. I understood very quickly what everyone was on about. These are quite darn coloured. Luckily i was using my S9 and it struck me that it has quite some powerful EQ alternatives, and after using about an hour or so fiddling with EQ i felt I could make the p5s do pretty much what I wanted them to do. 

It might be cheating, and i might be something of a freak for liking these, but I am quite pleased so far 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #369 of 375

Quote:
Cause thats what everyone has. But I am asking if the B&W p5's are better than monster or bose. Those are mainstream and thats what everyone knows about and would purchase seeing how i'm in high school.

Most people are dumb sheep that buy whatever the TV tells them to buy. If something sells well doesn't automatically mean it's a good product. I don't get how you have 154 posts and still even consider Beats or Bose. I suggest reading the forums some more. Or, if looks are your only concern, buy some fake Beats and call it a day. They sound just as bad anyway.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #370 of 375
Two words: Ugg Boots.

We just call it something different here: FOTM.

Baaah! Baaaah!

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #371 of 375
I got these a month ago and so far have been a bit underwhelmed, although they might need some more burning in. I'm curious to hear about people's experience with EQ fiddling. I'm using them with an iPhone mostly, which is one of the main reasons I got them (for the mic and remote controls). Would there be any point trying to trade theme for the AiAiAi TMA-1?

Sep 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #372 of 375
I've been to the Apple store 3 times to listen to these phones, wanting to like them so bad. I find them very comfortable for my small head, if not a little too loose. And the isolation is pretty great. But the sound is awfully disappointing, especially given B&W's reputation. Their speakers are incredible, but I found these to be muddy at best.

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #373 of 375
"Extremely forgiving" is a nicer way of putting it 
cool.gif

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #374 of 375
I listened to the P5s today.

I had zero expectations but was surprised at how reasonable they were. Coloured and dark they are so not for me.

I did get the Sennheiser Amperior. Really good.

May 3, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #375 of 375
A friend lend me his P5 today.  It doesn't sound even. The left side where the jack is sounds dull, and makes poping sound at high volume.
It seems the left side doesn't hold the pressure when I press it. Is this a common problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back