REVIEW: B&W (Bowers & Wilkins) P5 Headphones
Jun 12, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #301 of 375
i was gone for a day and now can someone tell me wth is going on?
eek.gif

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #302 of 375

Quote:
dude i never attacked you... you just feel attacked cause your ego is hurt.. you expect me to bow down and accept your rules

I think it's time for me to coin a new phrase, whenever I disagree with someone, and they act like I hurt there feelings, I'm going to call it
"pulling a gorgon"! 

This may go down in the annals of history. This is how history books get re-written. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 12, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #303 of 375
After reading all of gorgonmusic's 'posts', I now officially hate my P5 and can now confirm that Skylab was bang on. P5 is a midrange cake with a bit of treble icing on it. I will limit my use to once a day in a locked room by myself and hope I don't eventually go blind.

Jun 12, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #306 of 375
too many overexaggerated opinions
i like the p5's
but what some hijacker here is saying is a joke
they are not worth the price for sq alone
your paying for the build brand portability and convenience
enough said
take it easy guys

Jun 13, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #307 of 375
dont worry a "sensitive type" complained to the mods and demanded action be taken against me... so i shall soon be removed from general population..lol  thats what i get for making sheep uncomfortable...lol

Quote:
This thread has been turned into ultimate fail...  In any event, thanks for your efforts Skylab.

Viva la P5s!!!!!!!

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #308 of 375

Quote:
You surely accept that the P5s are not to everyone's taste and so others are allowed to praise their sound and even say they are 'great' or 'fantastic', commonly understood descriptives.

and...

here is an explanation in the importance of break in for mechanical devices.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/speaker-break-in-fact-or-fiction

more...

http://www.ehow.com/how_6392084_break_in-bmw-engines.html

I totally accept others praise for the P5s, the problem here is the way you are going about criticising those who do not like the sound. You come over as offensive, unreasonable and very childish. Far more so than those who criticise you. 

Thanks for the links, the first one is very relevant and interesting and I have bookmarked it for future use. Do you accept though that there are no blind/ABX tests that show burn in makes a noticeable difference? 

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #310 of 375
I had a spare hour today and spent it with the P5s, Bose over ear and Denon AH D1001. Listening was out of an ipod touch at a listening station in a quiet shop. I used tracks I know well by U2, Queen and The Who. 

Build quality; P5 (by miles) > Denon > Bose
Comfort; P5 > Denon = Bose
Price; Bose = Denon > P5 (twice the price than the others)
SQ; P5 = Bose = Denon

Each headphone sounded better with a different track and each had its strengths and weaknesses. The P5s have the fullest sound, but treble sounds muffled compared to both Denon and Bose with The Who 'Substitute', the Bose was best. The P5s made U2s 'Streets with no Name' very dramatic and the Denons won with their clarity with Queen's 'Don't Stop Me Now'.

So my opinion mirrors Skylab and has not changed since I first put my opinions about these cans on this forum, which was way before Skylab posted this review, so I can't be a fanboy!

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #311 of 375
Thanks ProgRockMan.  It should be noted that the Denon is half the price of the P5 (not sure which Bose model you were referring to).  The P5 is much nicer looking, but I found the Denon more comfortable.

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #312 of 375
It was the Bose Around ear (sorry above post is wrong, but they sound the same to me!) headphones....

...and they were £10 less than the Denons at £99. But the plastics used and flimsiness of the headband does not suggest a £99 product. My point is that the P5s, sound wise are comparable with £100 headphones and the rest of the money is for the superb build and materials used. That is what i felt the first time I listened to them. If money was no object I would get the P5s, but if I was on a budget I would confidently look elsewhere for the same SQ.

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #313 of 375
I've read reviews that compare them favorably to the sq of phones in their price range such as grado 325.and denon ahd2000.  I suspect the truth is somewhere in between the pro reviews and the little consensus you guys are forming.

I think the real question that makes these cans polarizing is what 300 dollars should get you out of an ipod.

My opinion and admitedly limited experience is that you can't get 300 dollars of sq out of an unamped ipod, and anything over 150 is diminishing returns.

So say, for the sake of argument, that for 150 more, your portable unamped headphone can last the rest of your life, be made of high quality materials and be superbly comfortable.  It's not a splurge in search of a hobbiest's holy grail in sq from a below-par source, rather a splurge for unabashed luxury in a product, which to me is a more tangible reward for money spent.  Is there something wrong with that?  Nope.

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #314 of 375
@fella: well said, quality over price anyday. Id rather spend x4 the price of something hard to replace for its uniqueness and could last a lifetime. It will give you peace of mind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back