REVIEW: B&W (Bowers & Wilkins) P5 Headphones
Apr 14, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #46 of 375
Don't beat yourself up about it, there is a place for the B&W and if they were no so clamping as some have reported they would be more appreciated even though acknowledged as having some colouring.

They are probably tuned for unamped usage on iphone and ipod and to a certain extent for the well heeled users of those sources.

It's am impossible job to convince everyone at head-fi to agree on one headphone that is the best, they are favourites and some headphones which punch above their price.

It may be that the P5 are near to the top of a list of non-iem, unamped set of cans for ipod/iphone. But it was coming across at first that these were the best for everyone and everything
eek.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #48 of 375
I am not head over heels in love with them, but I think that they are worthy for what they were intended for and have fun listening to them.
Some people have every Grado ever made, and I can't stand them. I think that the Head-F1 HF-2's sound atrocious. To each his own.
I have been using the P5's out of my Macbook Pro Usb out into my D-10 each night watching episodes on Hulu and enjoying them. They are not made to compete with T-1's or HD-800's. I feel that they give my ESW-10's a run for the money. But that's me. I paid $454 for my AT's plus shipping and tax, so think that $399 is a good pricepoint for them.
I'm sure somebody can make a better cable 2.5 to 3.5mm for them that will totally improve their sound signature and still fit into the groves. I wonder how they would get along with a pair of TWags?

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #49 of 375
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are probably tuned for unamped usage on iphone and ipod and to a certain extent for the well heeled users of those sources.

They absolutely are, and any fair review of them should take this into account. If you're going to compare them to other phones, compare them unamped and on the go out of an ipod, as that's their intended application.

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #50 of 375
I can't imagine that someone with a diversified selection of music (i.e multiple genres) on an iPhone or iPod would not find that a number of their tracks sound better with the P5s than with their expensive desktop rig ...and at the same time, for many tracks, far worse!

With a somewhat compressed soundstage, forward vocals, decent bass, and toned down treble on bright sounding tracks, the P5s sound very intimate and very, very good on some music emphasizing lead vocals. As I have posted before, much of the music on B&W's own site works well with the P5s.

Go to bed with these on your head and attached to your iPod, no amp., and I guarantee that you will like them on a number of your tracks...not because criticisms of the P5s sound are wrong, but because of the way these headphones present some music that is different, and which makes some questionable tracks sound much better than they should, and this will immediately get your attention.

I own them. It would not be a big issue for me if I did not like them, and never used them again as I have three, and soon to be four other headphones, but I use them at night for their noise isolation and comfort, when I am out walking with my iPod, and when I need the noise isolation at other times. I enjoy them very much ...despite their well-described technical flaws ...and I think some of you might too!

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #51 of 375
Thanks for the impressions guys. I was previously following the outrageously long thread on these awhile back....

It's too bad. A lot of people, including myself, were excited for these... and they look darn good too.

Would still like to try some of these out down the road though, but not for the asking price...

Once again,
Thanks!

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #52 of 375
Some weird stuff goin on with this phone...

The first time I demoed them at the apple store was without an amp and thought it was an interestingly nice sound to it to say the least. Today I was at the store again but this time with my itouch/rsa protector/twag cables...

Did you guys even hear this thing through an amp???
eek.gif
Hearing through SE on the protector made the sound thin and definitely not sounding right. I then tried it directly on my itouch and it sounded right as it should. I then tried it through balanced terminated through a mini and hoping the thin sound on SE was just a fluke... lo and behold... all I'm hearing are faint instruments with vocals echoing like those cheap karaoke things...
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #53 of 375
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is exactly what occurs when a headphone has a noticeable coloration.

I thought is was the recording cause its songs that are underwhelming on all systems that sound bad on the P5s too... for example "One is the magic number " by Jill Scott sounds phenomenal but "dont fear the reaper" or "California dreamin" not so much..

Play this album on your P5s at 90% volume and tell me what you think

album-who-is-jill-scott-words-and-sounds-vol-1.jpg

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #54 of 375
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to bed with these on your head and attached to your iPod, no amp., and I guarantee that you will like them on a number of your tracks...not because criticisms of the P5s sound are wrong, but because of the way these headphones present some music that is different, and which makes some questionable tracks sound much better than they should, and this will immediately get your attention.

I disagree with this. The "bed-rig" is exactly how I use most of my headphones - whether they be the Qualia 010, HD650s, JH13 Pros, the half dozen audio-technica I've owned or the K 1000 or Stax.

If I had $300 bucks for the bed-rig, I would use (and actually, I do) the ATH-W10VTG over the P5s every day of the week. I'd rather use a HD600 over the P5s out of the iPod (and have) any day of the week. Heck, ATH-ES7s.... much less any of the better setups.

Of course, ideally I'd rather listen to my B&W LM1s out of a small Denon mini rig than listen to any headphones while going to sleep in bed.... but that's before the wife situation...

Honestly, it's outside the "bed-rig" and maybe in the "work-rig" that the P5s might do well. Comfort, form factor and passive isolation do well for wearing them for like 2-3 hours at a time at work.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #55 of 375
Exactly what I thought although I don't even give the bass on the P5 even that high. As portable setups these are very disappointing. Too bad the rabbid crowd of the P5 lovers can't seem to understand other people's opinions that these are not worth the potential $300.

I have yet listened to Grados.. maybe I'll get chased out of that crowd too. Good review Skylab from someone who is not over-enthusiastic about new products.

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #56 of 375
Thanks for the good and fair review skylab. I went to the Apple Store few weeks ago to listen to the P5, but was majorly underwhelmed. I hope B&W won't end up following the Bose footstep with their headphones...
frown.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #58 of 375
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The What Hifi review

TV, Blu-ray, home cinema and hi-fi video guides - whathifi.com

the review was spot on. I guess what b&w is trying to do is take some market share for the people who enjoy bose, beats, hd 228, hd238 and the like (and run directly from an ipod). It also targets people who are used to just enjoying music form their stock apple earbuds. In both cases, the P5 is indeed an upgrade.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #59 of 375
Thanks for the review, I was afraid of that conclusion from the time I saw them. The first thought that popped into my head was B&O.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back