[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Aug 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #3,301 of 7,021
Quote:

Yeah, the GR07's bass response and overall tactility is one of the best I've heard. It's quite amazing to say that for a $150 phone.

I'm learning to appreciate it more now 
k701smile.gif

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #3,303 of 7,021
I'm learning to appreciate it more now :k701smile:

I'm currently using the GR07 BE's wile I await the new hotness again.

They are currently $131BTW!
http://www.lendmeurears.com/index.php?cPath=15&osCsid=0821a194aebdeda744f93691137b7e23
*shameless plug

Get on that eke if you want a back up lol.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #3,304 of 7,021
Quote:

If the ASG 2's and 1.3 switched lows on this graph, which driver would be a better performer regarding bass? Red or blue? Partway between both?

Considering they share the exact same dynamic driver, their bass performance is the same. 

Edit: actually, the ASG-2's bass should be better due to the extra treble. I noticed that with the ASG-1.2, when I lifted the treble with EQ, texture improved, and impact seemed more defined. I also heard improvements in the mids too.

Quote:

Many big driver dynamics [Radius DDM/EX1000/EX210,etc]. Mass is a good indicator of how well there is potential for subbass regions, though not all the time as the example here. 

Has it been considered that tuning is what will determine how much sub-bass is put out?

And this is why I spazz out when you post.

I'm currently using the GR07 BE's wile I await the new hotness again.

They are currently $131BTW!
http://www.lendmeurears.com/index.php?cPath=15&osCsid=0821a194aebdeda744f93691137b7e23
*shameless plug

Get on that eke if you want a back up lol.

Money is a precious commodity right now lol. I very well may get another pair in the future, though not the BE. It's too bassy for me.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #3,305 of 7,021
Quote:
Those are not Ortofon tips, they are tips that fit Ortofon IEMs but are not the official Ortofon tips people praise. 

Many big driver dynamics [Radius DDM/EX1000/EX210,etc]. Mass is a good indicator of how well there is potential for subbass regions, though not all the time as the example here. 

I also have the official Ortofon tips, comparing them there is a minor difference in built but they fit and seal pretty much the same. They feel the same as well. 

The official ones that I have were bought directly from Ortogon, and came in a small clear tube with the Ortogon name on the tube cylinder.

Unfortunately, last time I looked I couldn't find them directly on the Ortofon US site, and I refuse to pay what is charged on the MusicaAcoustics site. 

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #3,306 of 7,021
I don't wish to add any "oil to the heated flames" here, but would liked to raise a point here. Are the playing equipment and software used being taken into consideration for individual reviews?

Am currently trying out different players and software, and am surprised that some differences are dramatic, even to untrained ears of mine. Here are what I found, thou please forgive me for my limited knowledge in sound terms.

Equipment list
  1. Sansa Clip+ (rockbox)
  2. iPod 5th gen (rockbox)
  1. Sony Xperia V (android phone)
  2. Hifimediy Android Sabre DAC
  3. JDSLabs C5 amp

Software list (Android apps, EQ off)
  1. Sony stock Walkman app
  2. Neutron player
  3. USB Audio Recorder player 

Song tried
  1. Khalil Fong - Singalongsong, flac/alac (alac for iDevices only)
  2. Destiny's Child - Emotion, flac/alac (alac for iDevices only)
In actual fact I listen to just 1 song, Singalongsong. Emotion was added in because of the unbearable sibilance in one of my setup.

IEM used
  1. Vsonic GR07 MKII

Setup
  1. Clip+ -> GR07
  2. Ipod (line out) -> C5 -> GR07
  3. Xperia V (digital out) -> Hifimediy DAC -> GR07
  4. Xperia V (digital out) -> Hifimediy DAC -> C5 -> GR07

Clip+ -> GR07
Thou the Clip+ is very small, it's a very capable player. There's adequate bass, vocals seems more in your face, and it's clarity are there as well. For both songs, they sounds ok. Nothing seems to go out of place.

Ipod (line out) -> C5 -> GR07
Coming from the Clip+, the sound seems "thinner". The bass, thou more controlled, seems to be lacking in overall presentation. One thing that I notice clearly, is there's more sibilance. Singalongsong lyrics has quite a number of s words. Somehow for this setup, the instruments sounds feel "strange", especially the cymbals.

Xperia V (digital out) -> Hifimediy DAC -> GR07
I tried the 3 apps as listed above. USB Audio Recorder player (UARP) doesn't allow control of volume of the DAC, so in this scenario, it is line out level, which is deafening, and not acceptable in my case. Out of the remaining 2 apps, I prefer the Sony Walkman app. I can hear better separation, a more natural feel to the song, better control in the bass, maybe even slight more bass than the above 2 setups. With the Sony app, I feel like I'm listening to the best of the Clip+ and iPod setups. Thou the Neutron player is liked by many in the Play Store, the sibilance introduced into the song is a turn off for me. For Emotion, the sibilance is just too much for me to take that I stop the song halfway thru. I'm not sure why Neutron player behave this way. 

Xperia V (digital out) -> Hifimediy DAC -> C5 -> GR07
Plugging the C5 in, with the Sony app, the seperation seems better, and there are more sub and mid bass. Somehow with C5, the song feels livelier. Switching to Neutron player, the sibilance seems to be reduced, but still noticeable. As for the UARP, it seems to be better as compared to Sony app. More clarity, and the bass, especially sub bass, is more impactful. Going from UARP to Sony, it's like there's a slight veil over Sony's. In terms of sound quality, I vote for UARP in this setup.

Anyway, what I wanted to show is thou the IEM used is the same, different source does give different sound depending on the hardware and software used. The difference can be quite substantial at times. Cheers! 
beyersmile.png

PS: For those interested, this is a MV of Singalongsong. It's an english song. The quality from youtube, is..... meh

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #3,307 of 7,021
Considering they share the exact same dynamic driver, their bass performance is the same. 

Edit: actually, the ASG-2's bass should be better due to the extra treble. I noticed that with the ASG-1.2, when I lifted the treble with EQ, texture improved, and impact seemed more defined. I also heard improvements in the mids too.

Removing the 1.3 driver mismatch, which line would you prefer on the lows? Red or blue?

Has it been considered that tuning is what will determine how much sub-bass is put out?

[COLOR=0000FF]And this is why I spazz out when you post.[/COLOR]

Hmmm, inks? The way you phrased that does seem a little unwarranted as we are not yet sure my pair are not defective. I'm going with defective after tiny had at it and all the stuff I read but what do I know?

[COLOR=000000]Money is a precious commodity right now lol. I very well may get another pair in the future, though not the BE. It's too bassy for me.[/COLOR]

Isn't the ASG 2 more bassy then the BE's? You want less bass in a back up?! Blasphemy! :yum:(and I hadz surprise for u -_-)

I only have a iPhone 4 yello.

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #3,308 of 7,021
Quote:
Removing the 1.3 driver mismatch, which line would you prefer on the lows? Red or blue?

I'm not sure, really. But the red line looks like it would be better for me.

Hmmm, inks? The way you phrased that does seem a little unwarranted as we are not yet sure my pair are not defective. I'm going with defective after tiny had at it and all the stuff I read but what do I know?
The mismatch alone is proof of a defect, and will affect perceived bass. Second, those bass/sub-bass levels on Rin's graph do not match up with anyone else's opinions on their ASG-2s. I don't mean to come off as a fanboy, but it gets increasingly harder to make the same point over and over.
I genuinely can't believe we're still having the discussion about your set.

Isn't the ASG 2 more bassy then the BE's? You want less bass in a back up?! Blasphemy! :yum:(and I hadz surprise for u -_-)
The ASG-2's soundstage height allows it to play off the extra bass by putting the mids and highs further up in the soundscape. In contrast, the GR07 is not particularly adept at soundstage height, and depth is only slightly above average. The extra bass of the BE is slightly off-putting for me when I'm not listening to tracks that call for such bass. 

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #3,309 of 7,021
Quote:
Second, those bass/sub-bass levels on Rin's graph do not match up with anyone else's opinions on their ASG-2s.

Looking at Rin's graph of the FX700 and ASG-2, I'm not sure if I'd subscribe to this. Both have emphasized mid-bass, but the JVCs retain a bit more sub-bass to my ears. Rin's graph shows the FX700 down by 5-6db at 20Hz vs. 100Hz, whereas the ASG's better driver is down by about 10db. Going by how I heard both phones, I wouldn't rule out that the two graphs are correctly reflecting their respective bass signatures.

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #3,310 of 7,021
Thing is I made the last remark not only by my experience but by the fact that even Ginatras heard a sudden drop, though at very low regions. An EX1000 for example just leaves it in the dust in bass performance. Big mass driver iems usually have the potential to be evenly bottomless like the EX1000, from what I read, the ASG2 isn't one, besides all the appeal seems to come from its midrange.

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #3,311 of 7,021
Looking at Rin's graph of the FX700 and ASG-2, I'm not sure if I'd subscribe to this. Both have emphasized mid-bass, but the JVCs retain a bit more sub-bass to my ears. Rin's graph shows the FX700 down by 5-6db at 20Hz vs. 100Hz, whereas the ASG's better driver is down by about 10db. Going by how I heard both phones, I wouldn't rule out that the two graphs are correctly reflecting their respective bass signatures.

Hmmm I was going on the idea that it was 5-6db drop by 20hz from 100hz on the G-2 by ear. But I have my bass ports a bit open... I know Rin's graph shows that it doesn't change anything at 20hz but maybe I'll play around with it a bit and see if maybe there's any difference.

As a comparison, the 1p2 sounds to have no real drop from 100-20hz.

Thing is I made the last remark not only by my experience but by the fact that even Ginatras heard a sudden drop, though at very low regions. An EX1000 for example just leaves it in the dust in bass performance. Big mass driver iems usually have the potential to be evenly bottomless like the EX1000, from what I read, the ASG2 isn't one, besides all the appeal seems to come from its midrange.

Might it be possible it's just tuned that way as opposed to incapable?

Aug 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #3,312 of 7,021
Quote:

Ah, but look at the boost in the FX700's mid-bass against the mid-range ( starting at 500 Hz). Then look at the level of boost in Unity's ASG-2. Now, you heard my ASG-2, and I've heard your FX700. Can you reconcile those differences? The ASG-2's mid-bass only looks gently lifted when compared its midrange. Does that add up with what you heard?

Furthermore, look at the FX700's distortion and time characteristics in the lower regions. I think that would help explain the differences you heard.

I've highlighted the part I find interesting. "at the very low regions". You're taking something that doesn't support your argument and snipping what you need from it.

I maintain that you haven't heard the ASG-2 yet. 

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #3,313 of 7,021
Yeah guys we just need to wait for updated measurements. Probably not gonna reconcile this until then. I'm sure variable bass port settings don't help consistency in impressions either.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #3,314 of 7,021
Quote:
Ah, but look at the boost in the FX700's mid-bass against the mid-range ( starting at 500 Hz). Then look at the level of boost in Unity's ASG-2. Now, you heard my ASG-2, and I've heard your FX700. Can you reconcile those differences? The ASG-2's mid-bass only looks gently lifted when compared its midrange. Does that add up with what you heard?

Furthermore, look at the FX700's distortion and time characteristics in the lower regions. I think that would help explain the differences you heard.

Eke, I was only talking about bass signatures, as heard with my test tracks (e.g. Markus Schultz's Progression album). And I'm not saying that I heard a 10db drop, just that I wouldn't be surprised if your pair measured similarly to Unity's better driver, provided the FX700's graph is accurate. You may well be right about other explanations for perceived differences between the FX700 and ASG-2, but based on my (admittedly short) listening, I don't feel confident to predict that a graph for your pair would look significantly less rolled-off in bass.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #3,315 of 7,021
Wait! What! Tiny, u on?

Music_4321, buddy, friend, pal... would you say the bass on the ASG 2's you tried match Tiny's 1.3 graph or Rins? Somewhere in the middle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back