[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Aug 22, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #3,091 of 7,021
James, with all due respect Simon Rattle & his Birmingham Orchestra do not know how to play Mahler, this is why you could not hear much difference between two cables, blame it on Rattle 
tongue.gif

(this was a joke in case someone does not see smiley :)

seriously, thanks for your impressions, as always much respected and appreciated even though i do not agree 
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #3,092 of 7,021
Hi everyone! I am a long time lurker in head fi, but still a newbie in terms of technical terms and critical listening. Always prefer to enjoy my favourite songs and music "just like that", thus am not sure if I will ever jump into critical listening. I do not have much IEMs to compare to, but just hoping that I can contribute back to the community. There are already many reviews on ASG 2 on the technical side from much more qualified people, so I will just pour out my impression from a "simple consumer" POV. Sorry in advance if what I wrote are confusing.

History - Thou I have been listening using earphones/IEMs on and off for many years, I didn't really get into them somehow. But since late last year, I picked up the audio hobby again, and got the very popular Vsonic GR07 MKII. I then bought the ASG 1.3 early last month. like it so much, that I get the ASG 2 in just 3 weeks 
tongue_smile.gif
 . Since then, poor wallet just keep crying lol. Anyhow, I will compare it mostly with the GR07. That was my favourite IEM until I got the Aurisonics.

Why I get the ASG 2 - I love the ASG 1.3, but it seems to be missing something in the highs, and the ASG 2 had 2 BA for the highs, so....
The highs are soft in volume for 1.3, and for most songs, the singers feels like they are singing in a very very quiet room. It's so quiet, that even with the music going, you can still FEEL the quietness. I think that's what most people here term as "dark"? I always thought I don't like much highs, but the 1.3 taught me otherwise. Somehow with the 2, the songs feel more natural and more lively.

What are the main attractions for ASG 2 - Design, comfort, liveliness, imaging & separation & details, sounds from drums!
Design: This is a very important aspect to me. For an almost S$1k IEM, I would want it to last at least 5 years. My ASG 2 are the stealth ones, and thou the looks doesn't wow me that much, the construction is top notch. It's made of hard plastic of 1mm thickness (rough estimate from my clear 1.3 wiv a ruler), and should be able to take quite a lot of abuse. The socket of the cable is also fitted tightly to the earpiece, and the cable itself looks and feel sturdy. The ASG 2 also hold on well while walking, and it doesn't move around at all for me. Overall, I'm very pleased with the construction and quality, and feel at ease while using ASG 2. I do faced problems with the paint job thou (refer below for more info).

Comfort: The ASG 2 (and 1.3) is the most comfortable IEM I had, with reference to IEMs like Vsonic GR07 MKII, Sunrise Xscape v2, JVC Marshmallows,... Before getting Aurisonics, I had went to a local store to try out the Unique Melody. But surprisingly, all of their offerings do not fit my ears well. I know these are customs, but even with their new universal 3DD model, they cause me much pain on my ear. I suspect that the protruded part in all the UMs are causing that. Maybe it's just my odd ears, but ASGs fit me very well. The stock tips are also comfortable for me.

Liveliness: This is what caught my attention for ASG 2, and I felt it's the biggest factor of ASG 2. I don't really know how to describe this, but somehow songs seems to be more lively with the ASG 2. It's like the sounds are more fluid, have more life in them. I seems to be more "into" the songs with this liveliness. Within a same pop song, I felt like I'm more excited when I'm listening to ASG 2, but much more calm when listening to GR07. Listening to the ASG 2 makes me want to listen to every details in the song. But with the ASG 1.3 and GR07, I don't get this feeling.

Imaging & Separation & Details: Coming from GR07, it's like out of a sudden, the "space" become larger, it's more airy, and the sounds from the instruments seems to come from different distance away from you (is this call depth?). It's not that there isn't any such effect from GR07, but somehow it's more prominent in ASGs. I can also hear each instruments clearer, and the more details from the instruments which I didn't hear in GR07 initially. Going back to GR07, I have to "hunt" for the particular sound or instrument that I hear it clearer in ASG 2.
Given these attributes for the ASG 2, I think I even heard flaws in the mastering of a particular song that I liked? This particular song, 'Emotion' by Destiny's Child from album 'The Very Best of Destiny's Child', seems to be distorted when Beyonce started to sing at loudly. I went back to GR07 looking for these distortion, but it's much softer in volume. I can hear these distortion on both ASG 1.3 and 2. If someone have this song, will you be kind enough to confirm this?

Sounds from drums: This is very personal, but I really love the sound of drums from this ASG 2. The texture, decay, are.... woooo.... I have never had such feeling from hearing drum sounds before. I listen mostly to chinese pop songs from singers like Khalil Fong, Wang LeeHom, Jay Chou where different drums are always used. The ASG 2 sounds really amazing! That said, if there's a ASG like this plus more rumble, it will be heavenly.

What other attractions of ASG 2 - Vocals, Isolation
Vocals: I dunno why, but after some usage time on ASG 2, I started to listen more of the vocals section. Beyonce, Christina Aquilera, Whitney Houston, Leslie Cheung, Anita Mui, Terry Lin... they sound so good thru ASG 2. If you listen to Chinese or Cantonese pop, look for Leslie Cheung and Terry Lin. From the song "当爱已成往事", the texture in the lows of Leslie Cheung voice that I heard, is just 
basshead.gif

Isolation: I only notice how good the isolation is when I brought it out for breakfast one morning. The feeling is a little odd, especially when I'm walking in the heavy raining. There I am, in my world of music, hearing all the instruments and vocals playing, but my shoes and pants are getting wet, I am feeling chill from the strong winds, and what I see are water all around. It's an ears out.of.the.world feeling.   

Concerns of ASG 2 - Paint
Paint: The ASG 2 I got is the stealth version, which is covered in a black matte coat of paint. After just 1 week of very light use, I noticed the paint started to wrinkle at the side with the ear. Then more wrinkles are seen over the week, along the edges as well. And then, the biggest wrinkle become a tear. I contacted the local agent, and Dale happened to be in Singapore last week, so I met up with Dale and the agent. Dale told me that the stealth ASG 2 I had was an older version, which have such paint issues. He then took it back with him, and promised to send me a new updated one with some minor improvements to the port hole as well. Thou I'm disappointed with the paint job initially, I'm glad that Dale looked into it and provided a proper solution. That's what I call service!

What is the price value of ASG 2 - I use my own ways to determine price value, so again, this is very personal. I use a simple price/yr for my purchases. Do note, the life of the IEMs here are expected years, not actual years.

ASG 2 (stealth) -> expected to last 4 yrs -> price/yr = S$225/yr.
ASG 2 (clear) -> expected to last 4 yrs -> price/yr = $187.5/yr
ASG 1.3 -> expected to last 4 yrs -> price/yr = S$87.5/yr.
GR07 -> expected to last 2 yrs -> price/yr = S$110/yr.

Given these numbers, 
Would I pay 105% more for ASG 2 (stealth) vs GR07? Yes! With reference to the above qualities of the ASG 2, ASG 2 amaze me much more than when I got GR07

Would I pay 157% more for ASG 2 (stealth) vs ASG 1.3? I already did 
wink_face.gif
. The 2 BA of the ASG 2 not only give just the highs. After listening to ASG 2 for 3 weeks before returning it and switching back to ASG 1.3 (EQ-ed), I notice a lack of a sparkling feel. The songs also sound less lively than on ASG 2.
And with the adjustable port, its like having more than 1 IEM.

How the ASG 2 affect me
  1. Listen to songs for at least half an hr every work day (vs nil)
  2. Dig out old songs and CDs to re-listen. Rediscover music
  1. Bought a Sansa Clip+, a Sony android phone (as source), C5 amp, HiFimediy DAC, and more... within a month 
    rolleyes.gif
  2. Rekindle my DIY fire.. made a few interconnects

I think that's about it. Thanks for reading!

PS: Great thanks to all the people contributing, and special thanks to eke. I have been stalking your posts since GR07 times 
k701smile.gif

Edited: Sorry Dale, I got your name wrong :frowning2: Many apologies

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #3,093 of 7,021
Quote:
James, with all due respect Simon Rattle & his Birmingham Orchestra do not know how to play Mahler, this is why you could not hear much difference between two cables, blame it on Rattle 
tongue.gif

(this was a joke in case someone does not see smiley :)

I know it's a joke, but even though Rattle & CBO do a great job here, I actually prefer Jansons and the Concertgebouw Orchestra out of the more recent recordings. 

That said, considering there are more than 150 recordings of Mahler's Resurrection Symphony, how about derailing this thread with an extensive discussion of Mahler No. 2 interpretations for a change? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #3,094 of 7,021
Quote:

I know it's a joke, but even though Rattle & CBO do a great job here, I actually prefer Jansons and the Concertgebouw Orchestra out of the more recent recordings. 

That said, considering there are more than 150 recordings of Mahler's Resurrection Symphony, how about derailing this thread with an extensive discussion of Mahler No. 2 interpretations for a change? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I find Jansons and Concertgebouw's peformance of Mahler's Resurrection Symphony both shallow and pedantic. 

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #3,095 of 7,021
Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

ha ha... lets do it
evil_smiley.gif

Gnarlsagan, you know, if i recall the story correct, once when a famous Russian conductor Rozhdestvenskiji http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gennady_Rozhdestvensky was invited to New York for a series of Shostakovich music, he conducted the first concert after which there was the reception during which dudes, who invited him, in replying to his question about the performance told him: ''ah, you know you were conducting today in very Russian style than ever''...... to which Rozhdestvenskiji replied with a smile: ''yes, i am a Russian conductor and Shostakovich is a Russian too'' :)

why i am that? i am not so professional in music to judge the performance of the orchestras and conductors, and i do not know all subtleys behind the particular manner. all i can do is ask my friend who is professional conductor and music professor.

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #3,096 of 7,021
Quote:

Really great impressions, yellobie! Thanks!

I'm glad you're enjoying your pair. 

I've actually been thinking about reacquiring the GR07 as a backup iem, in case of emergencies. Do you still enjoy yours now that you have the ASG-2, or do you find yourself always looking for missing details and nuances while listening?

Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

For starters, everyone knows Mahler actually pilfered one of Beethoven's lesser known works and rebadged it into his No.2. It's similar to how AKG rebadged the Apple earbuds into a shiny housing and sold it for $1500 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm off to bed.

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #3,098 of 7,021
Quote:
Anybody knows if the ASG2 stock cable is a silver or copper cable?

Stock cable is copper.  If you get the clear one, it'll turn green due to corrosion.  Copper corrodes green, silver tarnishes a bluish-black color from what I understand.  Gold doesn't tarnish :p 

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #3,099 of 7,021
Stock cable is copper.  If you get the clear one, it'll turn green due to corrosion.  Copper corrodes green, silver tarnishes a bluish-black color from what I understand.  Gold doesn't tarnish :p 

Thanks! : ) I was thinking of getting a copper cable to try out with the ASG. In this case it seems I'm better off sticking with the stock cable haha.

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #3,100 of 7,021
Quote:

I'm glad you're enjoying your pair. 

I've actually been thinking about reacquiring the GR07 as a backup iem, in case of emergencies. Do you still enjoy yours now that you have the ASG-2, or do you find yourself always looking for missing details and nuances while listening?

Thanks for the kind words eke! Sadly my new pair of ASG 2 will only reach me in about 2 weeks time, so in the meantime I'm listening to my ASG 1.3.

Frankly I had not listen to GR07 over a longer period of time ever since I got the Aurisonics. Always use it out to listen to just 1 or 2 songs for comparison. During those times, yes I'm always listening for missing details. Now that you mention it, and my ASG 2 isn't around, maybe it's time I get back to GR07 to see if I still enjoyed it like before 
etysmile.gif
 I will get back to you again after a few days.   

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #3,101 of 7,021
Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

When I get the ASG-2s loaner next week, I think I know what music I'll be using in my Gintaras-inspired music marathons (hint: it won't be Madonna).

Quote:

For starters, everyone knows Mahler actually pilfered one of Beethoven's lesser known works and rebadged it into his No.2. It's similar to how AKG rebadged the Apple earbuds into a shiny housing and sold it for $1500 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ah, those inaccuracies ever so present in this thread...

Those "AKG rebadged Apple earbuds" you speak of cost $1,300 in the USA, that's a $200 difference, or roughly the equivalent of 8 pairs of genuine Apple earbuds (Earpods). In Europe we pay about $1,500 for those AKG earbuds, but that's only because we enjoy paying more for Austrian treble mountain peaks: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13739224

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #3,102 of 7,021

I've actually been thinking about reacquiring the GR07 as a backup iem, in case of emergencies.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm off to bed.

X2 mate, great job!

I was planing on gifting my GR07 BE and keeping the vanilla version when I got my ASG-2's. Then this transpired and now I wait.

I actualy still found my GR07 fit more snuggly then the ASG 2's yell, ASG are still good fit tho. I didn't sleep with them but plan to try it out when I get them again.

Sweet dreams my little trouble maker. I'll go sing soft kitty to u in a min. Now where did I put that Van Halen vinyl...

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #3,103 of 7,021
Quote:
In Europe we pay about $1,500 for those AKG earbuds, but that's only because we enjoy paying more for Austrian treble mountain peaks: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13739224

Actually, after a public uproar, that sale was temporarily suspended. And eventually those moutain peaks ended up going from the state-owned real estate management to the state-owned forest administration. I love it when my fellow countrymen do clever business!  
etysmile.gif

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #3,104 of 7,021
Just liked to add a comment regarding Ortofon tips. I tried the tips I got from Japan on the ASG 2, but for some songs, the sound distorted at some point for me. Initially I thought it's either the player or the drivers having problem, but changing the player doesn't help. I then change back to the stock double flange and the distortion are all gone. I tried to playback the same distortion for Dale when he's here in Singapore, but he didn't hear any distortion, and afterwards the Ortofon tips went back with him lol.

Maybe it's a unique issue , but buyers do take note of such issues. One of the songs that I tried is 'Lady Marmalade' by Christina Aguilera/Pink/... a clear distortion happen around the 3:20 to 3:30 section. 

Aug 22, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #3,105 of 7,021
Quote:

Just liked to add a comment regarding Ortofon tips. I tried the tips I got from Japan on the ASG 2, but for some songs, the sound distorted at some point for me. Initially I thought it's either the player or the drivers having problem, but changing the player doesn't help. I then change back to the stock double flange and the distortion are all gone. I tried to playback the same distortion for Dave when he's here in Singapore, but he didn't hear any distortion, and afterwards the Ortofon tips went back with him lol.

Maybe it's a unique issue , but buyers do take note of such issues. One of the songs that I tried is 'Lady Marmalade' by Christina Aguilera/Pink/... a clear distortion happen around the 3:20 to 3:30 section. 

It is DALE 
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back