[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Aug 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #2,326 of 7,021
Quote:
The 1plus2 has a lot better coherency than the se5. I'll put up a comparison in the 1plus2 thread.

Well I'll have to see for myself. I spoke with Purrin who felt they sounded very well integrated. Very much coherent as if it was a single driver solution.

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #2,327 of 7,021
Quote:

I guffawed like a donkey. 

And with such an air of weathered wisdom! I'm almost tempted to buy the SD3 myself, just based on the je ne sais qoui of his confident speech. Such omlette du fromage!

Never mind that I've heard both side by side for days. 

lol that reminds me of Dexter's laboratory. :D

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #2,329 of 7,021
Aug 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #2,330 of 7,021
Aug 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #2,331 of 7,021
Quote:
Email me for a mod

I had earlier this week actually.

Quote:
Try cutting up a tea bag and put a circle of it over the nozzle, then put the tip on. The tip will hold it in place. Worked wonders on the IE800.

I've got some coffee filters from my aero press. I'll try those.

coffee filters were a bust.

Tea bag cut down the highs, but muddied up the lower mids/bass a tad... I need to get my hands on some cheese cloth.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #2,332 of 7,021
I had earlier this week actually.

I've got some coffee filters from my aero press. I'll try those.

coffee filters were a bust.

Tea bag cut down the highs, but muddied up the lower mids/bass a tad... I need to get my hands on some cheese cloth.

Maybe HiFiMAN filters? They aren't supposed to do much but maybe enough for you?

You are determined!

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #2,333 of 7,021
Anyone have any ideas concerning dampening/filtering material to take down that 10k spike a tad? My sensitive ears haven't allowed me to use my ASG-2 in the last two days even at low volumes. I've tried cotton (too much, wrong frequencies), tissue, nylons... I might have to get some actual acoustic material.

Also, I'm on board about the sub-bass. I feel like it could be better- but indirectly. If the mid-bass was toned down ever so much, you probably would discern the sub-bass better. They extend superbly (listen to the last few seconds of Giorgio by Moroder on the latest Daft Punk album, and you'll see), you just gotta listen for it and fiddle with the bass ports to find that sweet spot. It's been a while since i had the ASG-1.2, but I recall the sub-bass being slightly more isolated, but that could just be a trick of the memory.

It's not as obvious on the ASG-2 as the Atrios, but the Atrios are missing a good chunk out of the middle and top end - the bass is LOW and tight. The ASG-2 does it all.

I just gotta tone down those highs without resorting to an EQ, and hope this ringing goes away. I wasn't even listening beyond 50% volume on my IPhone 4.

dnullify which tips are you using? i have reported nasty harsh metallic treble earlier and that was with the stock clear double flange tips. Changing them to the ortofon tips got rid of most of the harshness for me. I think the ortofon moved the nozzle a couple mm deeper into the ear canal. It would sound darker though.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #2,334 of 7,021
Quote:

dnullify which tips are you using? i have reported nasty harsh metallic treble earlier and that was with the stock clear double flange tips. Changing them to the ortofon tips got rid of most of the harshness for me. I think the ortofon moved the nozzle a couple mm deeper into the ear canal. It would sound darker though.

I'm enjoying the Auvio Tips, but I've been meaning to order some Otrofon tips since they seem to be highly regarded here.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #2,335 of 7,021
right now stock medium single flange. UE tips are the best for the treble, but very uncomfortable. Auvios are the worst by far, as far as treble, which is weird because they make everything else i put them on sound better. something about the firmer plastic core enhances the high and low frequencies.

Not sure where i can get ortofon but i've tried everything else i can get to fit on, and some that i shouldn't have been able to fit. I'm gonna probably have to give it a week or so off, my ears are too fudged up, what with the ringing.

All i know is the ASG-2 have mucked up all my other IEMs. Everything else sounds like crap now - everything.

Quote:
Maybe HiFiMAN filters? They aren't supposed to do much but maybe enough for you?

You are determined!

I have no choice but to be determined! i haven't got anything else that can hold a candle to the ASG-2 in overall quality, especially since I found my JH5s need a reshell as it's difficult to get a good fit with them anymore.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #2,336 of 7,021
Quote:
right now stock medium single flange. UE tips are the best for the treble, but very uncomfortable. Auvios are the worst by far, as far as treble, which is weird because they make everything else i put them on sound better. something about the firmer plastic core enhances the high and low frequencies.

Not sure where i can get ortofon but i've tried everything else i can get to fit on, and some that i shouldn't have been able to fit. I'm gonna probably have to give it a week or so off, my ears are too fudged up, what with the ringing.

All i know is the ASG-2 have mucked up all my other IEMs. Everything else sounds like crap now - everything.

I have no choice but to be determined! i haven't got anything else that can hold a candle to the ASG-2 in overall quality, especially since I found my JH5s need a reshell as it's difficult to get a good fit with them anymore.

Quote:

Funny enough, I prefer the Auvios for the same reason...they sound more open. The bore is the same width as the nozzle.

Good to see you finally got your good fit, kkcc.

dnullify, PM UnityIsPower and ask for the pair of ortofons I sent him for his ASG-2, since I don't think he'll be putting it to use ^_^.  They may solve your issues for you.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #2,337 of 7,021
Hi guys,

Ive been quietly following this thread (stalker mode on. :D) and had bit on it upon eke’s review (great job eke!). It had been 3 weeks since I had them and I didn’t want to make any comments until I had a feel of these iems. All I can say is it stands as one of the best iems ive heard to date (bunch of top tier iems ive audited - 334, compact stage 3, miracles & jh13s).

I have to qualify that im not a seasoned/experienced audiophile and have not a/b them in direct comparison at the same time frame. And my impressions are based on SS preference towards neutral-ish with a tinge of warmth especially on the midrange and a tiny tad of more bass/sub-bass. (coming from a westone 4)

Config (Bass port ½ opened before 1st notch – my ideal preference)
On first listen I immediately noticed how dynamic and lively they sounded especially how instruments were rendered. Guitar plucks/riffs/reverbs, drums, cymbal shimmer, trumpets all sounded very natural. I was taken aback by how good live performances sound on them.

The forward midrange was ohh so very resolving and articulate but at times I felt vocals were a tad “honky” especially when the singer hit the peak (im not good at describing the term. But hope u fellas get the idea.) I think KKCC pretty much nailed what I was listening to when he described the midrange as being raw and powerful. Exactly how I felt. Reaching this point of my post, the drivers/my mind had burned in and am loving the overall SS of the ASG-2 more and more..:)

However, I would have to agree with the general consensus for more sub-bass to be implemented for the ASG2s in the future. At this moment I feel more impact than rumble on the bass. One good example is music by Hans Zimmer – Introduce A little Anarchy.

Quoting from Tinyman 392:
“I agree that the ASG-2 does have more impact (lower-bass) as opposed to rumble/texturing (sub-bass).” 

I would also like to share my customer service experience dealing with Aurisonics. I had aesthetic issues with the ASG-2 which were quite minor upon receiving them, BUT ME BEING ANAL, I decided to email Dale on the problems I was facing. He sure didn’t disappoint as I was pointed in the right direction by the good sir to Andy and that I would be taken care of. Andy was quick to respond too and I had since sent them in 2 days ago. (missing every bit of it.
frown.gif
)

I have high regards for Aurisonics and its staff and would just like to shout out to them for the top-notch Customer service (especially Dale and Andy). And from Dale’s response he is genuinely striving to improve his products be it the sound signature or aesthetics. This kind of service is what makes or breaks a company. Aurisonics is definitely on the right track.

Overall this iem is definitely a keeper and Aurisonics is now in my fav. list.

Cheers!

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #2,338 of 7,021
Quote:

I too noticed that the Auvio tips seem to make the treble more grating - the Ortofon tips have much less harsh treble to my ears, as others have also observed.

They can be purchased directly from Ortofon in a set of 3 pairs, one in each size; or from Musica Acoustics in several varieties including 5 pairs of a single size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back